WAMC - CA resident, UCD, Western, OR, WA; average GPA, average GRE, high experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxochlochlo

OSU c/o 2025!
Reaction score
Hello all!

I submitted my app at the end of August and am awaiting results/anxious to start preparing for the possibilities of interviews and trying to figure out what I can do in the mean time to prepare.

Schools applied to in order of preference: Oregon State (OOS), U of Washington (OOS), Western (IS), UC Davis (IS; 4th choice since I do not think have a great chance of getting in, but it would be FANTASTIC to be accepted there)

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.4
Last 45 cr: 3.7?

GRE:
V/Q/W: 154(64%) / 159(70%) / 5(92%)

Experience hours:
~3750 veterinary/animal experience (2yrs as vet assistant/receptionist and 1yr as "tech," being a room nurse aka lots of restraint and animal handling, clt communication,
Very few volunteer hours (had a vaccine drive volunteer trip planned this summer but was postponed for a year d/t COVID; did not volunteer more during undergrad d/t being a full-time student and having to pay rent on a part-time work schedule)

I am wondering if the OOS applicants for Oregon/Washington must have as competitive stats as those who are OOS and applying to UCD (ie average 3.9 GPA, thousands of experience and volunteer hours, high GRE scored, etc) or if they offer acceptance/interviews to people who do not necessarily have high GPA's or GRE scores.
Additionally, if anyone has interviewed at these schools and have feedback on what the interview process is like, that would be extremely helpful.
Also, I have 3 professors, 2 vets and 1 employer/manager who submitted LORs for me, but UC Davis only allows you to pick 3. I was given a copy of the letters from 1 vet and the employer after they submitted them but have not read the letters from anyone else. Would it look better to select the letters from the 2 vets and 1 prof or a different combination of the 3?

I completed 2yrs at a community college on a full scholarship and received and A.A. in Human Development and I will be graduating from a CA polytechnic institute this spring as an Animal Science/Pre-vet major. Any help of thoughts you guys may have would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance and good luck to all applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

here is WSU's academic requirements on how people are usually offered interviews. Obviously it's not a hard and fast rule, but a general statement. The jury is still out for if and how they will do interviews depending on how the pandemic goes which could dramatically change how it runs. Typically though the interview are pretty conversational. They do have some set questions to ask you as well as questions the interviewers have of their own. It's meant to get to know you as a person and evaluate your softer skills.

Reactions: 1 user
For UC Davis, I think your application would be looked at during the holistic review process because your GPAs and GRE are good. During the holistic review process they chose around 60 out of 180 applicants after the first top 25% of CA residents (based on rank) for interviews based on essays, experiences, etc. Since all you described here is a lot of small animal vet experience hours and not much else (research, diverse animal/vet experience, life experiences) I think it’s not likely you would get an interview depending on how competitive other applicants are this cycle.

I can speak a little towards Washington. My stats were similar to yours except my GRE and GPA were slightly lower and I had a little more experience. I can expand if you want.

I was offered and interview at Washington in December 2018. I declined the interview after accepting an offer into Sydney. Wish I could give more info but that’s all I have!