WAMC, cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.7 (Low MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lance2k22

Reaction score
I'm retaking my MCAT but I'm worried with this being my fourth retake that I'm not sure what score I would need in order to have a chance, I'm going to focus on DO schools. These are my stats and not sure if I'll be considered competitive.

1. cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.7
2. MCAT 488 --> 498 --> 499 (126,122,125,126)
3. Umass Dartmouth: Biology Major, Biochemistry Minor
4. White Male, 26 yo
5. Clinical Experience: CMHS [group home for brain injuries] (3 years ~7000 hours), Scribe (8 months ~500 hours)
6. Research Experience: UMass Undergrad research (3 years, ~1500 hours), Brown University research assistant (4 Months ~800 hours), Finalist for three minute thesis, Sigma Chi Research Presentation Competition 2017 and 2018, Umass Amherst Research Competition 2018
7. Shadowing (I shadowed at my scribe job on days off and sat in on surgeries ~50 hours)
8. Volunteer: Addiction Clinic (3 months ~50 hours), ER Hospital Volunteer (~40 hours)
9. Work during undergrad: Science tutor (3 years ~1500 hours), STAR [helped students build schedules and network around Uni] (2 years, ~200 hours), Marketing and Advertising for Pre-Health Club (2 years), Worked at a restaurant 10 hours/week along with University Jobs, painted and sold Artwork as a side business

I have other extra circulars and hobbies as well but highlighted the things I think are the most important please let me know what you think, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT (Arkansas and Montana schools)
RVU-Montana
ARCOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM (new school)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews. If you are applying this year you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by November.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT (Arkansas and Montana schools)
RVU-Montana
ARCOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM (new school)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews. If you are applying this year you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by November.
Thank you so much I truly appreciate the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to 40 DO schools

1. cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.7
2. MCAT 488 --> 498 --> 499 —> 506 (127,121,128,130)
3. Umass Dartmouth: Biology Major, Biochemistry Minor
4. White Male, 26 yo
5. Clinical Experience: CMHS [group home for brain injuries] (3 years ~8000 hours), Scribe (8 months ~500 hours)
6. Research Experience: UMass Undergrad research (3 years, ~1500 hours), Brown University research assistant (4 Months ~800 hours), Finalist for three minute thesis, Sigma Chi Research Presentation Competition 2017 and 2018, Umass Amherst Research Competition 2018
7. Shadowing (I shadowed at my scribe job on days off and sat in on surgeries ~50 hours) and shadowed family medicine and urgent care 200 hours
8. Volunteer: Addiction Clinic (3 months ~50 hours), ER Hospital Volunteer (~40 hours)
9. Work during undergrad: Science tutor (3 years ~1500 hours), STAR [helped students build schedules and network around Uni] (2 years, ~200 hours), Marketing and Advertising for Pre-Health Club (2 years), Worked at a restaurant 10 hours/week along with University Jobs, painted and sold Artwork as a side business

I have other extra circulars and hobbies as well but highlighted the things I think are the most important please let me know what you think, thank you.

Why are you applying to 40 DO schools? Are you able to stomach going to a relatively new school that has not graduated a class?

Volunteering is still a little light. Get more hours with the addiction clinic (at least 150 total by submission).

You previously posted another WAMC. Mods: is it possible to merge?

Reactions: 1 users
Applying to 40 DO schools
I have merged your post to a prior WAMC thread you had done. Did you end up applying with the suggestions Faha gave?

I would not suggest applying to 40 DO schools considering many have a strong in-state/regional preference or desire higher MCAT scores than you have.

Reactions: 1 user
With your new MCAT score of 506 you do not need to apply to 40 DO schools. You could also potentially receive interviews at some MD schools. Are you a Massachusetts resident? I suggest these DO schools:
UNECOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
NOVA
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM

Why are you applying to 40 DO schools? Are you able to stomach going to a relatively new school that has not graduated a class?

Volunteering is still a little light. Get more hours with the addiction clinic (at least 150 total by submission).

You previously posted another WAMC. Mods: is it possible to merge?
I definitely am okay with a new school and want to get in first shot and avoid reapplying

Will increase volunteering hours thank you! I also took care of my dad most of my life if that counts for anything as well?

With your new MCAT score of 506 you do not need to apply to 40 DO schools. You could also potentially receive interviews at some MD schools. Are you a Massachusetts resident? I suggest these DO schools:
UNECOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
NOVA
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
I am a MA resident and I just want to apply DO personally I’m not aiming for competitive specialities and really like OMT and those are def in my list thank you!

I have merged your post to a prior WAMC thread you had done. Did you end up applying with the suggestions Faha gave?

I would not suggest applying to 40 DO schools considering many have a strong in-state/regional preference or desire higher MCAT scores than you have.
I did not I needed a DO letter still which I have received now and wanted a higher MCAT score which I’m now happy with