WAMC - cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.77 MCAT: 517 School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkKnight8a

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You 100% should not take a year off because as far as your stats go -- in combination with your URM status -- you will probably receive many II, and acceptances; your MCAT is great, and your GPA is as well. Your EC's are pretty good, but won't make or break you. I think your list is nice and balanced as well. However, Brown is known to pick from its own undergraduate class, so you may want to remove that in order to save some money on apps and time on secondaries. The UC's are always a gamble, but being that you're hispanic (assuming you're fluent in Spanish as well), you may have some chance at UCSD as well as LA -- though again, everyone wants to go there, so like I said its a gamble; if you're genuinely interested in research, and can show it in an interview, you may want to consider UCSF, or Stanford. Also, it may not be necessary to apply to all SUNYs as Hofstra, Sinai, NYMC et al. are (I think) a good enough set of mid-tiers to have; maybe apply to one or two of your favorite SUNYs.

Your chances are great; shine in your interviews.

Apply wisely (early and broadly) and you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You 100% should not take a year off because as far as your stats go -- in combination with your URM status -- you will probably receive many II, and acceptances; your MCAT is great, and your GPA is as well. Your EC's are pretty good, but won't make or break you. I think your list is nice and balanced as well.

Your chances are great; shine in your interviews.

Apply wisely (early and broadly) and you should be fine!

Thank you very much for your advice! I'd like to follow up on your comment about me not taking a gap year. Do you believe I have a strong enough application to be considered at top 15 schools? My original thought process was to take the gap year to strengthen my app and to possible raise my GPA a little more.

Again thank you for your help so far!

Which Hispanic community do you represent? Language skills?

My family is Central American. Fluent in spanish. I also speak french very well (8yrs of experience). I was going to start taking Italian classes at my uni for senior year. I love learning languages.

Thank you very much for your advice! I'd like to follow up on your comment about me not taking a gap year. Do you believe I have a strong enough application to be considered at top 15 schools? My original thought process was to take the gap year to strengthen my app and to possible raise my GPA a little more.

Again thank you for your help so far!
It might be helpful to show that, not only are you fluent, but that you are committed to serving your people as well. I'm assuming that's what this "personally traveled to this country" is, on your volunteering?

I don't believe you need to take a gap year because (1) your GPA is excellent -- thus not needing repair -- (2) so is your MCAT, and (3) your EC's are not going to hold you back, I don't think. While not extraordinary (don't worry about it, because that's almost impossible to be in a pool of tens of thousands of applicants!), they will be okay -- maybe even for "top 15's" like you ask. I would not count on it, as I don't think anyone should, even the gunniest of the gunners, but I think it would be wise to apply to a couple, as you have a chance given your stats + URM status.

You do not need to raise your GPA, and your EC's are solid enough to warrant applying this cycle.

@Goro might be able to add something more, and @gyngyn will give you solid advice as well.

My family is Central American. Fluent in spanish. I also speak french very well (8yrs of experience). I was going to start taking Italian classes at my uni for senior year. I love learning languages.
Some schools consider Central Americans UiM. We all appreciate language skills (some more than others!) and commitment to service, though.

It might be helpful to show that, not only are you fluent, but that you are committed to serving your people as well. I'm assuming that's what this "personally traveled to this country" is, on your volunteering?

I don't believe you need to take a gap year because (1) your GPA is excellent -- thus not needing repair -- (2) so is your MCAT, and (3) your EC's are not going to hold you back, I don't think. While not extraordinary (don't worry about it, because that's almost impossible to be in a pool of tens of thousands of applicants!), they will be okay -- maybe even for "top 15's" like you ask. I would not count on it, as I don't think anyone should, even the gunniest of the gunners, but I think it would be wise to apply to a couple, as you have a chance given your stats + URM status.

You do not need to raise your GPA, and your EC's are solid enough to warrant applying this cycle.

@Goro might be able to add something more, and @gyngyn will give you solid advice as well.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the help!

Some schools consider Central Americans UiM. We all appreciate language skills (some more than others!) and commitment to service, though.

Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the difference between URM and UiM? And would this difference affect my application - I know it wouldn't be a drastically affect it, but I'm still curious.

Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the difference between URM and UiM? And would this difference affect my application - I know it wouldn't be a drastically affect it, but I'm still curious.
URM is an old descriptor (under-represented minority).
The newer one, UiM (under-represented in medicine) puts the emphasis on the reason for the designation: the community served. The purpose is to improve healthcare, not to benefit the applicant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest:

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

MCW

Loyola

USF Morsani

UCF

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Mt Sinai

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Hofstra.

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

All SUNYs

URM is an old descriptor (under-represented minority).
The newer one, UiM (under-represented in medicine) puts the emphasis on the reason for the designation: the community served. The purpose is to improve healthcare, not to benefit the applicant.

Thank you for the clarification. I only ask because I know I didn't know if certain schools distinguished between the two. Schools often post the percentage of the student body that falls under URM status but not UiM. I'd love to attend a school in a location that gives me the opportunity to work in under-served communities (i.e. Columbia - Washington heights) and thus I'd like to also surrounded by other students who share URM/UiM status.

I suggest:

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

MCW

Loyola

USF Morsani

UCF

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Mt Sinai

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Hofstra.

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

All SUNYs
Thank you for the reply