WAMC* cGPA: 3.9 | MCAT: 510 | Texas | Would like pointers to make my application stronger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted891334

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
40 hours of primary care shadowing is needed. The Texas schools like high GPAs so you should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.91 sGPA: 3.89

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
MCAT: 510 (128, 125, 129, 128)
(6 points below my practice test average, I guess I choked on test day, planning on retake)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Texas
Ethnicity and/or race
Asian American (ORM, Male)
Undergraduate institution or category
Texas Public Undergraduate
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
ED Scribe (500 hours)
Hospice Volunteering (100 Hours)
Clinic Volunteering (20 Hours, but still ongoing, I mainly help chart and take vitals)
Research experience and productivity
200 Hours Wet Lab (No pubs, no posters)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
16 Hours Anesthesiology
(Looking for a primary care physician at the moment)
Non-clinical volunteering
76 Hours with Red Cross (Helped set up blood drives, sign people in, and clean up after)
200 Hours Greeter at Local Hospital (Helped people find rooms, deliver flowers, help staff with nonclinical duties)
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Officer of pre-health org on campus (our pre-health org focused on advancements in medicine, my role was to do research on new innovations and present them every week)
Trainer (this will be part of my scribing experience, but I was "promoted" to become a trainer in order to help trainees learn to scribe and get used to the ED setting)
Basketball (recreationally)
Music
Relevant honors or awards
Deans List (1 time)
Anything else not listed you think might be important
No Committee Letter (I was going through some personal events when all spots got filled up with my pre-health committee)
Interested in serving as a military physician (reached out to recruiters, awaiting graduation prior to beginning paperwork for HSPS)
Interested primarily in FM/IM/EM
Low SES

I would like any advice on what I can do better to be competitive and I will be applying this upcoming cycle. Thank you.
I'd suggest that you do some non-clinical volunteering with underserved populations.

Also, when writing your application, make sure that you include what you derive from your scribing and other activities. It's not just about the hours or checking the boxes. When writing your PS or activity descriptions, include what you learned and contributed.

Reactions: 1 users
40 hours of primary care shadowing is needed. The Texas schools like high GPAs so you should receive several interviews.
Will do!

I'd suggest that you do some non-clinical volunteering with underserved populations.

Also, when writing your application, make sure that you include what you derive from your scribing and other activities. It's not just about the hours or checking the boxes. When writing your PS or activity descriptions, include what you learned and contributed.
Got it, I will look for opportunities in my area!

Thanks for the advice! @Faha @LindaAccepted

Reactions: 1 user