WAMC Class of 2029 3rd cycle hopeful..how should I improve? (Non-Trad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mn1309

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was just denied once again by all of the schools I applied to in my second cycle. I am IS for UGA and would love to go there. Because I've spent so much money on applications the past two cycles, I may only apply to UGA and one other school this year. Other schools I've applied to include: Mizzou, Iowa State, LMU, Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee, CSU, Virginia Maryland, Florida, LIU. I've never been offered an interview from any schools, just denied. I am non-traditional, 28 years old and took all of my pre-reqs while working full-time, so I know my GPA is not the best and my weakest point. I plan to meet as soon as possible for a file review and last year UGA recommended I enroll in a master's program. I am interested in their biomedical science online masters to help bring my GPA up. I am also planning on leaving my full-time tech job because I cannot afford unfortunately to live off of the pay anymore, but may stay on for occasional weekends/nights. Any other suggestions for improvement this next year or suggestions on which out of state schools I could have a good chance with? Thank you for any advice!

Bachelor's in Business Management from UGA 2019

Cum GPA
: 3.1
Science: 2.81 :(

Animal Experience/Employment:
Farm Sitting for a Goat Breeding Farm (goats, chickens, cows, horses, rabbits): 150 hours
Barn Manager/Riding Instructor (full-time employment): 2000 hours
Pet Sitter/Office Manager for an In-home Pet Sitting Company (small animal, large animal, exotic): 2180 hours
20 years of equestrian/show experience: 2,000ish hours?
Lead Volunteer/Exercise Rider for a Horse Rescue: 6000 hours
Member and Barn Manager Officer for IHSA Equestrian Team in College: 1,305 hours

Non Animal Extra-Curriculars
Dance: 1000 hours
PESA: Professional Entertainment and Sports Association: 100 hours

Non-Animal Related Employment (I've held a job at all times from the age of 16, throughout college, and now)
Music Business Artist Management Intern 1: 400 hours
Music Business Artist Management Intern 2: 150 hours
Music Business Publicity Intern: 150 hours
Server at Johnny's Pizza: 3140 hours
Retail Associate: 800 hours

Veterinary Experience:
ER tech (small animal): 280 hours
Large Animal Shadowing (equine, some cows): 100 hours
Small animal GP/Head Surgery Assistant (small, some exotic): 5,320

References:
2 veterinarians, practice manager, and owner/founder of horse rescue.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the science 2.81 gpa include all of your science classes or just UGA's pre-req's? UGA only uses its pre-req's to calculate the science gpa. UGA also averages any course retakes and does not replace grades.

What is your last 45 gpa? If your pre-req gpa is below a 3.0, it might be worthwhile to retake and aim for an A. While the science gpa would be averaged, more A's would raise your last 45 gpa.

I'd ask for another file review as well just to make sure there isn't anything else to work on. A Masters that is heavy with upper division science courses would show your ability to handle the rigorous academic load that vet school will entail.

Is the science 2.81 gpa include all of your science classes or just UGA's pre-req's? UGA only uses its pre-req's to calculate the science gpa. UGA also averages any course retakes and does not replace grades.

What is your last 45 gpa? If your pre-req gpa is below a 3.0, it might be worthwhile to retake and aim for an A. While the science gpa would be averaged, more A's would raise your last 45 gpa.

I'd ask for another file review as well just to make sure there isn't anything else to work on. A Masters that is heavy with upper division science courses would show your ability to handle the rigorous academic load that vet school will entail.
Thank you for your response! I'll have to recalculate for the pre-reqs and see! Most of my sciences are the pre-reqs because I only had to take 8 hours of science for my business degree. Does the pre-req GPA also include the humanities, english, etc. or just strictly the science courses? I'm going to ask for a file review as soon as possible on May 1st when we are allowed to request one. I'm also wanting to see if I can do this file review in person this time rather than through email so I can get a more personalized response/ask follow-up questions. I'm leaning more towards the masters program right now rather than retaking courses.