WAMC- Michigan State; non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelotls

Reaction score
First application cycle, non-traditional student- 26yo mom, B.S. in Zoology/Animal Behavior, applying only to my in-state (MSU)

Cumulative GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.2
Last 45: 3.73

Bachelor of Science in Zoology '20 from Michigan State

Veterinary Experience:

• 500 hours of being a remote/telemed vet assistant (not sure if this counts?- triaged patients over the phone, etc)
  • 400 hours of assisting in the ICU during my kennel tech job
Animal Experience:
  • 3200 hours as a kennel tech at a SA hospital
  • 360 hours as a wildlife rehab intern (variety of wildlife- did a lot of medical stuff here but not under veterinary supervision)
  • 200 hours as a kitten foster
  • 20 hours with aquatics from an aquarium job shadow
Research Experience:
  • 500 hours (volunteer) research assistant for neurotoxin pollutant effects on zebrafish behavior
Awards/scholarships:
  • $500 scholarship to help with expenses associated with my unpaid internship for “demonstrating the capacity to accomplish professional goals and initiative to seek further experiential opportunities” in 2019
  • $1250 Michigan competitive scholarship for academics/financial need
Extracurriculars:
  • Freelance photographer
  • Mom lol
  • Didn’t really participate in any clubs in undergrad
  • STARS club in high school (volunteered at soup kitchens)
Employment:
  • Remote vet assistant/CSR for 6 months; 2021-22
  • Wildlife rehab intern for a summer; 2019
  • Kennel tech for 2 years; 2016-18
  • Tanning salon sales associate for 1.5 years; 2015-16; 2018
  • Salon receptionist for 6 months; 2014
Other info:
Been a stay at home mom since my last job but actively looking for a vet assistant position now.

I’m only applying to MSU because I need to be close to family to help watch my daughter while I’m in school.

What are my chances of getting in to MSU? What should I improve?

I am also planning on going on a ride along shadow with a LA vet this summer for 10-20 hours & hoping to get a vet assistant job here soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you have a chance at getting into MSU. MSU doesn't look at GPA after the first round, so having great essays and diversity of experience will be beneficial here. I have several moms in my first year class and they all seem to be doing well balancing their children and school. If you can get more experience during the summer before applying that would be really beneficial. MSU values diversity of canadiates and not everyone having the same life path!