WAMC: CSU, Penn, VAMD, Iowa, Florida... 1st app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horseygirl423

Reaction score
Hi there! I am currently applying to vet schools and would love some input. My top choices are Penn and CSU, VAMD is my in-state, and would love input on other schools with heavy equine caseloads. I come from a disadvantaged background and will definitely be speaking about this on my application. Additionally, I had a hiccup with my physical health in 2015/2016 where my doctors struggled for a diagnosis. I am concerned about my transcript, because this shows up as 3 semesters of W’s!! I understand the stress of vet med, and have zero concerns I am physically/mentally up for it. I did take time off to decide whether I would ride professionally or pursue medicine after high school…ultimately I love science way too much!

Other things to consider:
- My primary interests are sports med, orthopedic research, regenerative med, therapeutics, and food animal
- I would love to apply to dual DVM(or VMD)/PhD programs but will need to take 2 online classes during the summer 2021 or 2022 to finish my BS if I am accepted this cycle...so not eligible to apply right now
- only remaining pre-req's are the 2 semesters of physics
- I began college courses in community college, anyone else have experience/feedback on whether this hurts my app?
- any suggestions for how to utilize my VA dependent benefits??

25 y/o female - MD resident

Applying to: VAMD, Penn, CSU, Iowa, and maybe Florida/NC

Cumulative GPA: 3.84 (currently in biochem, drop to a 3.82/3.83 if I miss the A)

Last 45 GPA: 3.91 (lowest possible is 3.9 if biochem goes awry)

Science/Math GPA: 3.83 (lowest possible is 3.82 if I miss an A)

Degree: B.S. in Cell & Molecular Biology (state school)

GRE: TBD late August

Veterinary Experience:

~2,300 hours Equine ambulatory practice
~ 100 hours small animal
~ 10 hours Wildlife

Animal Experience:

20,880 hours Equine: handling, training, competing
2,100 hours Farm sitting
500 hours Cattle/pigs/chickens/rabbits

Research Experience:

~ 80 hours expected for Lyme disease

~ drug discovery in animal health

~ 20 hours soil microbiome

~ 60 hours bioinformatics

Volunteer/Leadership:

- Volunteer for Equine rescue ambulance, trained in large animal rescue ~ 50 hours

- Children's summer camp instructor ~ 70 hours

- President of STEM Club 2019-2020

Hobbies:

Rock climbing
Hiking
Running
Cooking
Reading
Photography
Breeding/foaling/training/developing my own young horses

Employment Experience:

- Director of Children's summer riding camp to benefit land preservation, beginning fall 2018 to present
** developed a scholarship for inner-city riding program student to be able to attend
- Professional horseback rider/trainer/handler & teaching lessons, 2012 - present
- Veterinary assistant/tech, 2016- present
- Developed house-sitting business in my area, ~40 weeks/year
- Worked in European import and sales for show horses 2012-2015, manage barn/travel/compete/train
- hostess/server 2017-2019
- representative for all-natural & local farmer, on farm and at farmers markets 2010-2012
- administrative assistant for small animal orthopedic veterinary practice, 2009

Achievements:

College academic scholarship
State academic scholarship
Dean’s List
Tri-Beta Biological honor society
Phi Theta Kappa honor society
STEM club member of the year 2019-2020
Pre-Vet club
Member of research enhancement program at my school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can help a little with VA benefits. I'm a first time app, VAMD is my IS, and I'm using VA benefits too! This advice is for dependents who are 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (so hopefully that's the benefit you're referring to). By using that, you'll automatically be covered for the IS tuition rate at your school (unless it's a private school; you can only receive up to $25,000/yr), and you'll receive a yearly $1000 book stipend and a monthly housing allowance based on your zip code (Blacksburg is about $1100/mo). This means that your tuition would be completely covered at VAMD. At OOS schools, you'd be responsible for covering the difference between OOS and IS tuition.

I HIGHLY recommend that you reach out to each of your schools to see if they have additional benefits that will cover the remainder of your tuition. I started by reaching out to the schools' VA offices, but some directed me to their CVM's financial aid office. Also, check out the schools' VA websites because they usually has some info. Anyway, I reached out to Florida, and they offer an OOS fee waiver to students using VA benefits, which covers the remainder of the tuition that isn't covered by the GI Bill. Basically, free tuition at Florida. I haven't confirmed with NCSU, but from what I've read on their website, they too offer some form of an OOS fee waiver.

If you're not using Post 9/11 GI Bill, still reach out to the schools and check out their websites. And check out some schools that aren't on your list right now too. You'd be surprised how many schools you can attend for pretty cheap. I originally wasn't going to apply to Cornell because it's so expensive OOS, but I recently added it to my list of schools after finding out that my tuition would be completely covered.

I hope that helped! Let me know if you have any questions!

In my opinion you have a pretty strong application!

I got into Penn and VAMD (OOS for both), with much lower stats and 4000hrs of SA and maybe 500 research with marine inverts and phytoplankton.

I think you stand a very good chance of getting at least interviewed for each of these schools. But, I do think an incredible, strongly worded essay can go a LONG way, especially with VAMD. I come from a disadvantaged background too, and let me tell you: I did NOT shy away from conveying how profoundly it affected my life and how I was compelled to overcome adversity. I recommend you do the same if you feel comfortable. If you would like someone to read, and comment on your essays feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can say, as your application stands now, you’ll likely get into Penn. I think with your large animal experience and focus, Penn would be a great school for you if you’re able to make it out to New Bolton Center on your own. We have some fantastic repro clinicians and as you probably know, New Bolton Center is state of the art.

I can say, as your application stands now, you’ll likely get into Penn. I think with your large animal experience and focus, Penn would be a great school for you if you’re able to make it out to New Bolton Center on your own. We have some fantastic repro clinicians and as you probably know, New Bolton Center is state of the art.

The first time I went to NBC I was 11 and fell in love. We regularly refer clients and I love any opportunity to visit. My boss also went to Penn, so hopefully that LOR will count for a bit! I am struggling a bit with essays right now....too many ideas and not enough clarity. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

In my opinion you have a pretty strong application!

I got into Penn and VAMD (OOS for both), with much lower stats and 4000hrs of SA and maybe 500 research with marine inverts and phytoplankton.

I think you stand a very good chance of getting at least interviewed for each of these schools. But, I do think an incredible, strongly worded essay can go a LONG way, especially with VAMD. I come from a disadvantaged background too, and let me tell you: I did NOT shy away from conveying how profoundly it affected my life and how I was compelled to overcome adversity. I recommend you do the same if you feel comfortable. If you would like someone to read, and comment on your essays feel free to PM me.

Thank you! Where did you explain all of this in your essays? I cannot figure out where to best explain my own obstacles.

The first time I went to NBC I was 11 and fell in love. We regularly refer clients and I love any opportunity to visit. My boss also went to Penn, so hopefully that LOR will count for a bit! I am struggling a bit with essays right now....too many ideas and not enough clarity. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
I wouldn’t worry a ton about the essays. Just speak from the heart. Be genuine. Let them know who you really are. I think your experiences also speak for themselves.

On the topic of NBC, I can’t recommend it enough. I’m a small animal person through and through, but I’ve been doing research out there this summer. There’s just something about it. It’s like a rural oasis away from the city and the drive there and back has been really nice. Aside from the humidity and heat and sweating and manual labor that I’ve been doing, it’s really great!

Thank you! Where did you explain all of this in your essays? I cannot figure out where to best explain my own obstacles.

For most schools I think I described my hardships in the space they allowed for a disadvantaged statement, but for VAMD I remember discussing them in the resilience essay.