WAMC- decent GPA, low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disulfidebond23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, people!

I was planning on applying MD/DO this cycle, but worried about stats.
I took the MCAT once, only got a 505 (127/125/127/126).
Bachelor’s in bio with honor’s certificate, cGPA 3.85, sGPA3.87.
Shadowing hours cut short by COVID-19, so only about 14 hours.
~750 hours as a medical scribe in the ER
2000+ hours as a medical assistant for a dermatologist
Non-clinical volunteering: 10 hrs with child sponsorship charity, 25 hours with elementary school tutoring.
200 hours volunteering for a church, but I don’t think that counts?
No clinical volunteer hours, again was planning on adding this, but cut short.

edit to add: 24, female, neither URM nor ORM.

I was planning on re-taking the MCAT this spring, but now test dates are cancelled, and I couldn’t take it again until mid-June.

I’m wondering if I should also apply to some PA schools? I honestly think I’d be happy with this career. I’ve worked with PAs, MDs, and DOs, and I wouldn’t mind either route. I don’t think with my current stats I’d get into med school, although I have tons of patient care hours. I would have to take A&P 1 and 2, that’s the only outstanding pre-req I have.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any recommendations here? I’m kinda at a loss haha. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had multiple DO acceptances with similar stats as you as far as GPA/ MCAT not too much love from the MD side. I would focus on some more volunteering if you can, but this is a pretty difficult time to find stuff like that. PA and MD/DO are pretty different in their roles in medicine.

I think you really need to nail down what you want to do you or you will have buyers regret. That is at least what I have seen in a few of my friends that have gone into PA school but wanted the benefits of being a doctor, or vice versa.

Reactions: 1 users
Missouri. And I went to my state school for undergrad.
Apply to both of your Missouri state public MD schools. You are competitive for all DO schools and I suggest these:
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ARCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
AZCOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
Your regular shadowing hours (14 hours) is a little worrisome, but your scribing hours could sway some faculty. Have you checked with admissions representatives about how they could consider your scribing as a proxy for shadowing?

Church volunteering can count as non-clinical volunteering, depending on what you did. If it's important to you, put it down. There are many religious-oriented medical communities.

I think you need to take a GRE to get into PA school. Your metrics are safe with DO schools for sure, and I think you need even more clinical hours for PA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the advice. Should I try for MD at all other than state schools? I don’t think I’m competitive for them, given I can’t get a better MCAT.

That’s a good idea to ask if the scribing counts as shadowing. Especially since I’ve only shadowed MDs, and I worked with DOs at the hospital.

I did think about the GRE requirement for PA, and I think they’re even doing at-home tests now, so I could maybe just take it before application opens? I guess I’d also have to ask my letter writers to upload to CASPA, as well. I’d probably just apply to local schools, and I looked up their requirements for hours, so I should be okay there.

Your MCAT is below the 10th percentile for most OOS private MD schools (and the public ones prefer their own residents). You could try these:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple

I know this is an old thread now, but a bit of an update. I applied to 5 DO schools, with 2 II so far. I sent my primary to 21 MD schools (lapse in judgement, really). I only sent secondaries to 3 schools, though, knowing my chances are next to none at MD. Is it even worth it to turn those in at this point? I’d have to re-apply next year if I want to go MD anyway.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

Edit to add: I have 3000 clinical hours, and I now work in non-clinical public health.

good job on getting the DO apps sent out and achieving interviews. lightly prepare for interviews and be yourself. you will get in somewhere.

i dont get why you didn't send out all the MD secondaries though. small chance doesn't mean no chance.

I know this is an old thread now, but a bit of an update. I applied to 5 DO schools, with 2 II so far. I sent my primary to 21 MD schools (lapse in judgement, really). I only sent secondaries to 3 schools, though, knowing my chances are next to none at MD. Is it even worth it to turn those in at this point? I’d have to re-apply next year if I want to go MD anyway.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

Edit to add: I have 3000 clinical hours, and I now work in non-clinical public health.
So are you planning to reapply next year? You’ll probably receive an acceptance at a DO school! If you don’t plan to attend a DO school if accepted, don’t waste your time or their time going through the interview process.

I suggest the following:
Seton Hall
U MO
Tulane
Temple (maybe)
SLU
Oakland U Beaumont
Wayne State
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

How come for DO schools I never (or atleast rarely) see anyone suggest Ohio U?

Thank you, everyone!

I don’t know if I’ll get an acceptance since I only applied to 5 DO schools, but I’ll plan on taking an acceptance if I get it. I guess my thinking is, I don’t have a chance at the MD schools, and I would have to re-apply and turn down the DO acceptance if I wanted to go MD anyway. So I’m not sure if I would be wasting money applying to MD at this point.

Should I turn in secondaries to MD schools now, or is it too late? My primary was verified in June, and transmitted July 10th.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice you've given! A little update, I have one DO acceptance to a great school, which I'll be attending. Rejected pre-II from my state school, and haven't heard from any other MD, but I don't expect to at this point. Thanks for the help! :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice you've given! A little update, I have one DO acceptance to a great school, which I'll be attending. Rejected pre-II from my state school, and haven't heard from any other MD, but I don't expect to at this point. Thanks for the help! :)

Congratulations! So happy it worked out for you! --