WAMC Decent GPA/Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyhumphrey

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help and advice on narrowing down schools for this application cycle, I'm on FAP so I have a limit of 20 schools unless I want to pay out of pocket for the rest. I know my MCAT score isn't set but because of changes to this cycle, I won't have my score back until after my application has been already sent out on July 10th and I'd rather narrow down the schools beforehand. Thank you so much in advance!
  • State/Country of Residence: Virginia
  • Ties to other States/Regions: California? (Legacy at UC Davis, strong ties to this state via family)
  • Year in School: Graduated 2019
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Major: Biology & Psychology Minor: Chemistry
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.62
  • Science GPA: 3.50
  • MCAT Score(s): Recently took it - not very hopeful assuming 505-508 (for now)
  • Research Experience: 1800 + hours with Department of Pharmacology/Toxicology in cancer research, ~400 hours in Department of Biology with evolution research
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): Nothing that will be published before applications go out
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 860 hours as medical assistant, 500 hours as ER scribe, 120 hours as medical volunteer in Ghana
  • Physician Shadowing: Not much, only 25 hours with surgical oncologist
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 50 hours soup kitchen, 60 hours child abuse prevention center, 30 hours TA at child's daycare, 170 hours as receptionist at non-profit clinic
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: 100 hours total on executive board for a couple of on campus organizations, 50 hours fashion show director
  • Other Employment History: Nothing I have listed in application
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Oncology, Emergency Medicine
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Yes
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Yes
  • Medical School List: (I'm not applying to the entire list, I'm still working on narrowing it down)
    • VCU
    • EVMS
    • VTech
    • UVA
    • Georgetown
    • GW
    • Wakeforest
    • Albany
    • NYMC
    • UCLA (I know it's a long shot but it's one of my dream schools)
    • UC Davis
    • UMD
    • California Northstate
    • California University of Science and Medicine
    • Rosalind Franklin University
    • Geisinger
    • Temple
    • Tulane
    • Michigan State University
    • Penn State
    • SUNY Downstate
    • SUNY Upstate
    • Tufts
    • University of Alabama
    • University of Arizona
    • University of California, Riverside
    • University of Miami
    • UNC, Chapel Hill
    • University of South Carolina

Members don't see this ad.

Come back with your official MCAT score. That said, if cost is an issue, why are you willing to fly out to California for interviews? Do you know how much cost of living is? I do get the link to UCDavis, but not sure about the other schools. Check for OOS preferences among the state schools on your list.