WAMC DO - 2.98 uGPA, 3.7 gradGPA, 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneWizahd

Reaction score
  1. 2.98 uGPA 2.95 usGPA, 3.71 gradGPA, 3.71 gradscienceGPA, 3.1 overallGPA, 3.12 overallscienceGPA - upward trend after my freshman year but I did receive a C- in one of the prereq chemistry courses my freshman year
  2. 504 MCAT (124 / 127 /127 126)
  3. Michigan resident
  4. Caucasian
  5. 600 + hours of research, no publications, was awarded a grant, will have a publication by the time I matriculate
  6. 60 hours shadowing an inpatient Psychiatrist
  7. 500+ hours volunteer work serving underprivileged kids and those with special needs
  8. 4000+ hours of inpatient psych clinical experience (am one of the leads on my floor), teach anatomy and physiology lab at the university, strong LORs (2 MDs, clinical supervisor, 2 professors (one of them is the head of the department)).
  9. Want to go into inpatient psychiatry serving rural area!
Just wanted to get a feel for what my chances are and what schools I should be looking at :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was the grad GPA from a Masters or a post bacc? If a Masters it isn’t averaged with your undergrad GPA for AMCAS. It is for AACOMAS. A post bacc is averaged into your undergrad GPA for AMCAS.

Was the grad GPA from a Masters or a post bacc? If a Masters it isn’t averaged with your undergrad GPA for AMCAS. It is for AACOMAS. A post bacc is averaged into your undergrad GPA for AMCAS.
It is from a masters program! Based off my stats I figured DO was the most logical route

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. 2.98 uGPA 2.95 usGPA, 3.71 gradGPA, 3.71 gradscienceGPA, 3.1 overallGPA, 3.12 overallscienceGPA - upward trend after my freshman year but I did receive a C- in one of the prereq chemistry courses my freshman year
  2. 504 MCAT (124 / 127 /127 126)
  3. Michigan resident
  4. Caucasian
  5. Grand Valley State University for both undergrad and grad (DII school)
  6. 600 + hours of research, no publications, was awarded a grant, will have a publication by the time I matriculate
  7. 60 hours shadowing an inpatient Psychiatrist
  8. 500+ hours volunteer work serving underprivileged kids and those with special needs
  9. 4000+ hours of inpatient psych clinical experience (am one of the leads on my floor), teach anatomy and physiology lab at the university, strong LORs (2 MDs, clinical supervisor, 2 professors (one of them is the head of the department)).
  10. Want to go into inpatient psychiatry serving rural area!
Just wanted to get a feel for what my chances are and what schools I should be looking at :)
I suggest:
Whatever MI schools where you MCAT score is closest to thier median, especially Wayne State. I don't think any other MD school will consider you.

For DO:
Start list with MSUCOM
MUCOM
CCOM (but watch tuition)
WVSOM
Both PCOMs
KCOM
DMU
ACOM
CUSOM
all LECOMs
TUNCOM
Nova
KYCOM
UIW
NYITCOM.AR
All VCOMs except LA

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
ARCOM
BCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
LMU-DCOM
KHSC-COM (new school)
There are also new schools that may be opening in Orlando and Montana(one with RVU and one with NYIT)
With your GPA you need to apply broadly to DO schools including schools that may be less desirable for various reasons.