WAMC/ School List 3.7/504 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karamelkisses426

Reaction score
1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.7/3.67
2 MCAT 504 (128/122/125/129)
3. State of residence: NC
4. Ethnicity AA female
5. Undergraduate institution or category: public state school
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 50+ hours assisted living volunteer, 1800+ hours paid medical assistant/scribe at dermatology clinics, 100 hours hospital gift shop/patient gift delivery volunteer
7. Research experience and productivity: 250+ hours Covid wet lab assistant, 1 publication (through collaboration with a medical student), 1 poster presentation (through research class taken during undergrad). I had additional research opportunities aligned, a summer research internship at a medical school, but canceled due to covid
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: dermatology (through working as a medical assistant). 50+ hours virtual shadowing (pathology, emergency medicine, PMR, sports medicine)
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 15+ hours Foodbank/ medical ministries volunteer, 80+ hours summer preschool daycare/ church preschool volunteer, 15+ USDA research volunteer
10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 1.5 years+ undergrad Resident Advisor, 2 years treasurer of African Student Union at undergrad institution, 5+ years target guest advocate, CNA certification, QPR suicide prevention certification
11. Relevant honors or awards: Deans list (most semesters in undergrad)

My biggest concern is my low CARS score as I know a lot of schools pay paticular attention to that score . I postponed my mcat for about a year to work on that section, got a tutor and spent the majority of my prep time focussing on that section. I really did try my very best on test day but unfortunately still did not perform too well in that section. I plan to apply broadly to both MD and DO programs. I like the DO philosophy. However, I have not had proper DO experience in terms of shadowing. I have had a hard time getting in contact with one. I am not sure how this would affect my DO application. I appreciate all the feedback!

Current MD School List: Meharry, Tulane, Anne Burret School of Medicine at TCU, UNC, Howard, Oakland Beaumont, Central Michigan, University of Kentucky, East Tennessee, Wright State, Moorehouse, Brody, Wake forest, Rush, LSU Shreveport

Current DO list: LECOM, PECOM, VCCOM, TouroCOM, MUCOM, CCOM, OUCOM, UIWSOM, ATSUCOM, ACOM

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Brody
UNC
Wake Forest
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew
Emory
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You need more non clinical volunteering hours and could include the 50+ hours at the assisted living facility as non clinical volunteering.
Virtual shadowing has little value. You could include 50 hours of your scribing under shadowing.
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
In your DO list OU-HCOM admits few non residents. Add CUSOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Brody
UNC
Wake Forest
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew
Emory
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You need more non clinical volunteering hours and could include the 50+ hours at the assisted living facility as non clinical volunteering.
Virtual shadowing has little value. You could include 50 hours of your scribing under shadowing.
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
In your DO list OU-HCOM admits few non residents. Add CUSOM.
Thank you! Going through the list, do these schools not prescreen mcat scores? I am specifically referring to Emory. I believe I saw on their website that they prescreen applicants with a less than 124 in each section. Would it still be beneficial to apply?

Thank you! Going through the list, do these schools not prescreen mcat scores? I am specifically referring to Emory. I believe I saw on their website that they prescreen applicants with a less than 124 in each section. Would it still be beneficial to apply?
They may not screen for URM applicants.