WAMC --- Do I need to add safe schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth_fairy_

Reaction score
Date of submission: 7/11
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.9
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Academic Average
23​
Biology
22​
General Chemistry
22​
Organic Chemistry
26​
Perceptual Ability
20​
Quantitative Reasoning
23​
Reading Comprehension
24​
Survey of the Natural Sciences
23​
State of Residence: Georgia

Undergrad Attended: Small Private School, High med/dental/vet school acceptance rate
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry and Creative Technology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No (one gap year)

Shadowing Experience: 270 General, 16 Peds, 8 Oral Surgery,
Volunteering Experience: 100 Habitat for Humanity and local food bank
Employment: 300 Hours as Chemistry TA
Research: no
Other Extracurriculars: Started the predent club at my college, Study abroad, Peer advisor
Relevant Honors or Awards: Student work awards and Dean list every semester
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, and 1 student work supervisor
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I added in my app that much of my time during school was spent with my Grandfather who was struggling with Parkinson'sand couldnt be alone. He died my senior year and my extracurriculars/volunteer picked up a lot.
School list:
DCG
UAB
LECOM
UPenn
UMich
UF
ULouisville
VCU
LMU

I want to add 3 - 5 more schools. Ideally, safer schools that aren't crazy expensive and not in large cities.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are no such thing as "safe schools..." only "smart choices."

What are your concerns? Would you really attend each of the schools on your list if it was your only offer?

Reactions: 1 user
There are no such thing as "safe schools..." only "smart choices."

What are your concerns? Would you really attend each of the schools on your list if it was your only offer?
Yes, I would attend all of the schools currently on my list and I want to keep my list that way. I just feel to be safe I need to add 3 - 5 schools. I feel like I submitted it a little late and my extracurriculars aren't great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I would attend all of the schools currently on my list and I want to keep my list that way. I just feel to be safe I need to add 3 - 5 schools. I feel like I submitted it a little late and my extracurriculars aren't great.
I don't get a sense of your mission fit from your WAMC description, so I'm not sure what to suggest for additional schools. (I don't know why LMU. Did you grow up in Appalachia?)

You could add Ohio State and CWRU (neither crazy expensive with costs of living, and Columbus and Cleveland aren't that huge, similar to Louisville.) Marquette would also work.

Last edited:
Academic Average
23​
Biology
22​
General Chemistry
22​
Organic Chemistry
26​
Perceptual Ability
20​
Quantitative Reasoning
23​
Reading Comprehension
24​
23​

Undergrad Attended: Small Private School, High med/dental/vet school acceptance rate
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

Other Extracurriculars: Started the predent club at my college, Study abroad, Peer advisor
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, and 1 student work supervisor
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I added in my app that much of my time during school was spent with my Grandfather who was struggling with Parkinson'sand couldnt be alone. He died my senior year and my extracurriculars/volunteer picked up a lot.
School list:
DCG
UAB
LECOM
UPenn
UMich
UF
ULouisville
VCU
LMU

I want to add 3 - 5 more schools. Ideally, safer schools that aren't crazy expensive and not in large cities.
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

you did not submit late...

your ECs are more than enough...

Would recommend removing LMU as they aren’t fully accredited nor have graduated their first class. Being a new school. Would sub with Case Western or Marquette if looking into other schools.

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?
I toured DCG and attended a virtual info session on Louisville! I am on the lookout for more opportunities as well.

Would recommend removing LMU as they aren’t fully accredited nor have graduated their first class. Being a new school. Would sub with Case Western or Marquette if looking into other schools.
Not to mention their application process is.... not great.

I don't get a sense of your mission fit from your WAMC description, so I'm not sure what to suggest for additional schools. (I don't know why LMU. Did you grow up in Appalachia?)

You could add Ohio State and CWRU (neither crazy expensive with costs of living, and Columbus and Cleveland aren't that huge, similar to Louisville.) Marquette would also work.
I grew up about an hour and a half from LMU and I know someone in their current class but I'm definitely having second thoughts about that school. I will definitely look at Ohio State and CWRU. Thank you for the recommendations!

I'd believe it lol
They require you to complete an application through their website that is basically identical to the AADSAS application INCLUDING sending a separate evaluation request to your req letter writers. One of my letter writers is on a European vacation right now, so I don't see them sending me my letter of req again any time soon...

They require you to complete an application through their website that is basically identical to the AADSAS application INCLUDING sending a separate evaluation request to your req letter writers. One of my letter writers is on a European vacation right now, so I don't see them sending me my letter of req again any time soon...
Not sure why they need to make it so difficult. Maybe to weed out people who are just applying but wouldn’t attend

Academic Average
23​
Biology
22​
General Chemistry
22​
Organic Chemistry
26​
Perceptual Ability
20​
Quantitative Reasoning
23​
Reading Comprehension
24​
23​

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

School list:
DCG
UAB
LECOM
UPenn
UMich
UF
ULouisville
VCU
LMU

every school is a "safer schools" for you, except for the ivies, ucla/ucsf/uop, umich, unc, uf