WAMC DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO or die trying

Reaction score
Hello fellow pre-meds,

Im taking the time to write this out hoping it will add some clarity to my situation in the next few months, I have had reservations about applying due to inexperience in a variety of areas and would like some input.

ORM
cGPA-3.28
GPA shows upward trend over last two years above 3.4-3.9 in courses like biochem, ecology, medical terminology, cell bio and more. Junior year is really when I decided to pursue medicine as a course after talking to some amazing mentors and physicians.

Bachelor's in the Arts, Major in Bio

MCAT-506

EC's
100 hrs- shadowing in ER, where i met my mentor a DO who really makes me want to become a DO.
20 hrs- shadowing OR open heart surgeries, getting to see team dynamic between DO, surgeon and anesthesia.

500 hrs- ICU CNA and COVID floor currently, looking to switch to phlebotomy this summer and work full time, due to the difference in pay and student loans i currently have.

100 hrs- local food pantry
50 hrs- cancer foundation volunteering
10hrs- doing various local volunteering

100 hrs- assisting people with eagle scout projects.

My real Qs is, I am currently in a Gap year already, and was hoping to apply next cycle for August of 2022 admittance, I don't really know if I am ready due to lower EC's, due to mcat studying, even though I will have a full time clinical job all summer and next year. I know my app is pretty bare and I'm just looking for honest input.

Thanks,

DO or die Trying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your EC are actually pretty good. Find a little more nonclinical volunteering and keep working your clinical job and you should be good. I would apply broadly to DO schools with your lower GPA but the upward trend is great

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow pre-meds,

Im taking the time to write this out hoping it will add some clarity to my situation in the next few months, I have had reservations about applying due to inexperience in a variety of areas and would like some input.

ORM
State-ND

cGPA-3.28
sGPA-3.13

GPA shows upward trend over last two years above 3.4-3.9 in courses like biochem, ecology, medical terminology, cell bio and more. Junior year is really when I decided to pursue medicine as a course after talking to some amazing mentors and physicians.

Bachelor's in the Arts, Major in Bio from private catholic university.

MCAT-506

EC's
100 hrs- shadowing in ER, where i met my mentor a DO who really makes me want to become a DO.
20 hrs- shadowing OR open heart surgeries, getting to see team dynamic between DO, surgeon and anesthesia.

500 hrs- ICU CNA and COVID floor currently, looking to switch to phlebotomy this summer and work full time, due to the difference in pay and student loans i currently have.

100 hrs- local food pantry
50 hrs- cancer foundation volunteering
10hrs- doing various local volunteering

100 hrs- assisting people with eagle scout projects.

My real Qs is, I am currently in a Gap year already, and was hoping to apply next cycle for August of 2022 admittance, I don't really know if I am ready due to lower EC's, due to mcat studying, even though I will have a full time clinical job all summer and next year. I know my app is pretty bare and I'm just looking for honest input.

Thanks,

DO or die Trying.
You're good to go. Apply broadly, but avoid those schools that haven't graduated a class yet, and the one on my Bad Boy list.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive DO interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats:
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UNECOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM