WAMC first time app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spied5748

Reaction score
23 F NY resident. First time applying on my second gap year. I currently have a full time job I’m employed by a vet school lol

Applying to: Iowa, VMCVM, Ohio, Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, LIU, Louisiana

Cum GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.6 (VMCAS)
Science pre req GPA: 3.45-3.6 depending on school
Last 45: 3.6

No GRE

Vet Experience:
400 hours small animal GP
150 hours low cost high volume spay and neuter
400 large animal clinical
300 large animal clinical skills labs
15 hours equine

Animal experience:
2000 hours large animal farmhand
200 dairy farm
700 hours kennel attendant
350 hours lab animal (exotics too)
300 hours pet sitting
Honestly a lot more I can’t even begin to type everything out

Awards:

Deans list a few times
Greek Honor Society
Freshman Honor Society

Extracurriculars:

Agricultural Sororitity
- several leadership positions
Greek Coucil
Dairy Society
Pre Vet Club

Employment:

3000 hours at a restaurant
600 hours at an Amazon warehouse
100 hours beach snack shack

Volunteer:
Plenty of volunteer history from higschool to current through my sorority and animal rescues and other charity

LOR:
I’m confident in these. 3 from vets and 1 from a college professor from undergrad

Concerns:
My GPA is average at best. I’ve retaken some science classes in my gap year so far and I still need to take physics at CC. Does anyone have recommendations where else to apply. Im not interested in leaving the country. Im also concerned my vet hours are not enough in a clinical setting. I want to do large animal for sure but I do enjoy all things small animal, I just know I wouldn’t go into that for my career. I plan on being very non traditional with my degree (research, academia, government, production animal).

Members don't see this ad.

If I am reading this correctly, I feel like your vet hours are enough in a clinical setting. Now, if you plan to practice large animal medicine, I agree with you. It would be best if you shadow/work with a large animal vet. Since you are working at a vet school, is there any way you can work at their large animal department?

Since you have retaken some science classes, I would look into schools that may do grade replacement and estimate what the grade average would be with your old and retaken classes. Since you are a NY resident, is there a reason why you don't want to apply to your IS?

If I am reading this correctly, I feel like your vet hours are enough in a clinical setting. Now, if you plan to practice large animal medicine, I agree with you. It would be best if you shadow/work with a large animal vet. Since you are working at a vet school, is there any way you can work at their large animal department?

Since you have retaken some science classes, I would look into schools that may do grade replacement and estimate what the grade average would be with your old and retaken classes. Since you are a NY resident, is there a reason why you don't want to apply to your IS?

I work at the teaching farm for the school, so a lot of my animal hours are from that. And a good portion of large animal vet hours from it too. That’s what I have been doing the past year and I will continue to until I go to school. I wasn’t going to bother to apply to Cornell, I don’t think my grades are near good enough to be considered. Maybe I’m being too critical of myself. Also I work probably the only large animals besides horses within 100 miles of me. My undergrad degree I got tons of hands on experience with livestock which made me want to pursue large animal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at the teaching farm for the school, so a lot of my animal hours are from that. And a good portion of large animal vet hours from it too. That’s what I have been doing the past year and I will continue to until I go to school. I wasn’t going to bother to apply to Cornell, I don’t think my grades are near good enough to be considered. Maybe I’m being too critical of myself. Also I work probably the only large animals besides horses within 100 miles of me. My undergrad degree I got tons of hands on experience with livestock which made me want to pursue large animal.
Woops, I read it wrong. I thought you only had 15 hours of LA experience. I apologize about that lol! By the time you apply, how much LA experience will you have then?

Cornell is your IS state so you have a higher chance of getting in compared to OOS.

I’d suggest considering Minnesota, South Dakota & Kansas.

Minnesota is one I’ve heard is more interested in a strong last 45 gpa.

SDSU is a 2+2 program in conjunction with Minnesota and geared towards rural medicine. While my last 45 gpa was stronger than yours my science and cumalitive were only around 3.21 and I got an interview with them 3 years in a row.

Kansas is another school I’ve heard looks strongly at last 45 and this last year I earned an interview with them.

As a side note, from my observations of people I knew who managed to get interviews with Missouri they were primarily picking those with high gpas but they have an option to ignore all academic history more than 6 years old. However, you have to have all their required courses taken within the last six years. I don’t know how many pre-reqs you’re looking to retake but thought I’d mention that.

Best of luck!

I second applying to Cornell since it's your IS. I have a very similar GPA to you and am still applying OOS so def worth a shot!