DressageEnthusiast
Liverpool c/o 2031
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cumulative GPA: 3.46
Science GPA: 3.40
Last 45: 3.44
GRE: Did not take
Any degrees achieved: Set to graduate with B.S. Animal Science with minor in equine studies in May of 2026
Applying to: VMCVM (in-state), UCDublin(5 year program due to missing prereq), Cornell, UC Davis, Bristol, Liverpool
Veterinary Experience:
- Shadowing Dog/Cat Veterinary Dentistry Specialist - 150hrs and gaining more this summer
- Shadowing Small Animal ER - 87hrs and gaining more this summer
- Extern at Equine Surgical Clinic - 82 hrs
Animal Experience:
- Personal horse ownership/riding ~2000hrs
- IDA riding team at my college ~120hrs
- Volunteer Injured/Orphaned Wildlife Transporter ~50hrs
Employment:
- Stablehand at boarding barn (also assisted with shows and clinics) ~200hrs
Research Experience:
- 48hrs environmental science study of crayfish at my previous school - research was not published due to the research site being destroyed by beavers partway through the project...
LORs:
- One from DVM professor I am close with + taught me in a lab setting
- One from DVM advisor
- One from DVM Veterinary Dentistry specialist
All 3 are Cornell DVMs, with one being a Cornell double grad
Awards/scholarships:
- Deans list from 2021-2022 (shoutout orgo for killing that streak)
Extracurriculars:
- Fencing team (recreational)
Concerns:
Aside from the borderline GPA, it took 5 years to graduate (not due to failing classes or gap year- I transferred schools and changed majors), will vet schools be concerned about this?
In all honesty, I'm prepared to be denied and take a gap year to increase/diversify my hours and take the prereq I need for Dublin because that will also allow me to apply to a few other vet schools next cycle. The missing prerequisite wasn't required for my degree and unfortunately, it came down to either not taking that prereq before I graduate and being able to apply to some schools or having to wait till fall of 26' to graduate and not apply till next cycle anyways. I figured it was worth graduating "on time" in spring '26 and going through the application processes now (especially since I've had my eye on Dublin for a while) just for a chance to get familiar with it (and stave off my family's prodding 🙄). But maybe I'm just too harsh on myself? Who knows
EDIT: For anyone reading, it turns out that I had miscalculated my GPA when I first posted this thread- I actually had a few more A's in my transcript than I thought! Stuff can get lost when you are a transfer student. I did not catch this until the night of the VMCAS submission and was able to submit to Liverpool after learning that I actually met their GPA requirements. On top of that I gained vet hours between the time of posting and applying so that I had ~150 in small animal ER, ~300 small animal dentistry and the ~80 from the previous year's equine extrernship (total of around 500hrs). I was still rejected from all the USA schools but accepted to Liverpool and Bristol (AGEP/4-year) and am waiting to hear back from Dublin.
Science GPA: 3.40
Last 45: 3.44
GRE: Did not take
Any degrees achieved: Set to graduate with B.S. Animal Science with minor in equine studies in May of 2026
Applying to: VMCVM (in-state), UCDublin(5 year program due to missing prereq), Cornell, UC Davis, Bristol, Liverpool
Veterinary Experience:
- Shadowing Dog/Cat Veterinary Dentistry Specialist - 150hrs and gaining more this summer
- Shadowing Small Animal ER - 87hrs and gaining more this summer
- Extern at Equine Surgical Clinic - 82 hrs
Animal Experience:
- Personal horse ownership/riding ~2000hrs
- IDA riding team at my college ~120hrs
- Volunteer Injured/Orphaned Wildlife Transporter ~50hrs
Employment:
- Stablehand at boarding barn (also assisted with shows and clinics) ~200hrs
Research Experience:
- 48hrs environmental science study of crayfish at my previous school - research was not published due to the research site being destroyed by beavers partway through the project...
LORs:
- One from DVM professor I am close with + taught me in a lab setting
- One from DVM advisor
- One from DVM Veterinary Dentistry specialist
All 3 are Cornell DVMs, with one being a Cornell double grad
Awards/scholarships:
- Deans list from 2021-2022 (shoutout orgo for killing that streak)
Extracurriculars:
- Fencing team (recreational)
Concerns:
Aside from the borderline GPA, it took 5 years to graduate (not due to failing classes or gap year- I transferred schools and changed majors), will vet schools be concerned about this?
In all honesty, I'm prepared to be denied and take a gap year to increase/diversify my hours and take the prereq I need for Dublin because that will also allow me to apply to a few other vet schools next cycle. The missing prerequisite wasn't required for my degree and unfortunately, it came down to either not taking that prereq before I graduate and being able to apply to some schools or having to wait till fall of 26' to graduate and not apply till next cycle anyways. I figured it was worth graduating "on time" in spring '26 and going through the application processes now (especially since I've had my eye on Dublin for a while) just for a chance to get familiar with it (and stave off my family's prodding 🙄). But maybe I'm just too harsh on myself? Who knows
EDIT: For anyone reading, it turns out that I had miscalculated my GPA when I first posted this thread- I actually had a few more A's in my transcript than I thought! Stuff can get lost when you are a transfer student. I did not catch this until the night of the VMCAS submission and was able to submit to Liverpool after learning that I actually met their GPA requirements. On top of that I gained vet hours between the time of posting and applying so that I had ~150 in small animal ER, ~300 small animal dentistry and the ~80 from the previous year's equine extrernship (total of around 500hrs). I was still rejected from all the USA schools but accepted to Liverpool and Bristol (AGEP/4-year) and am waiting to hear back from Dublin.
Last edited: