WAMC: first time applicant, should I even apply here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jljl123

Reaction score
Hi! I'm hoping to apply this cycle and am still debating on if some schools are even worth for me to try applying to, so please let me know what you guys think! It's just been difficult to figure out which schools I would actually have a chance at because some of the schools cheaper end of the spectrum are so competitive OOS. My experience is what I'm most worried about since I know it's not diverse. I was hoping to get large animal or wildife/rehabilitation experience and work more this summer, but it doesn't seem likely due to COVID-19, and I am around immunocompromised relatives.. :( Does this completely eliminate some of the schools I want to apply to? Thanks so much for any help or advice in advanced!

21 y/o female, California resident
Schools I want to apply to:
UC Davis, Purdue, WSU, TAMU, NCSU, University of Missouri, and Western (I know this is on the more expensive side though)

Cumulative GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.74
Last 45 GPA: 3.84

Degree: I'm graduating toward the end of the year with a degree in Molecular, Cell & Developmental Biology

GRE: 155 V, 157 Q, waiting on my writing score since I just took it this week :)

Veterinary Hours:
-
Working as a vet assistant at a small animal hospital 700 hours (hoping to get more by app submission)
-Working interview/shadow at another small animal hospital 4 hours
-Shadowed another vet during neuter surgery 1 hour

Animal Hours:
-Volunteer at small animal clinic doing kennel assistant tasks 40 hours
-Animal shelter volunteer 25 hours
-Pet ownership 200 hours (max on TMDSAS)
-Observed seal necropsy during school lab 3 hours
-Looked after chickens in physiology class 8 hours

Research:
-
None

Non-Animal Volunteer Experience:
-English tutor for K-12th graders in the summer 24 hours
-Local marathons/runs 24 hours
-TA for a high school math teacher (I got academic credit for this) 100 hours
-Volunteer for elementary school teachers for grading, cleaning, set-up, etc. 15 hours

Non-Animal Employment:
-Worked at Chipotle as a summer job 90 hours

Extracurriculars:
-HS varsity tennis team for 4 years, captain my last year
-HS co-president of Operation Smile for 1 year
-Pre vet club member for 2 years (should I even be adding this if I was just an active member but not an officer?)
-Not sure if this counts but I have a mini business selling handmade wedding corsages that I've been doing for the past 5 years so that takes a lot of my time! :)

Honors/Awards/Certifications:
-Dean's Honors for all but 2 quarters
-Acceptance into College Scholars program in undergrad
-Scholar Athlete of the Year
-Leadership Award for tennis
-Just did the online PHP Preventative Healthcare Certificate program
-Took a radiation safety training program offered at my workplace
-Food Handler's Safety certified

LORs:
-One from the vet I worked closely with at a clinic
-One from Physics professor I had for 2 classes
-One from an English professor that I see as a mentor

Thanks again! :))

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your hours shouldn't hurt you for Davis since from what I recall they don't weigh that as heavily, but it may hurt you for NCSU. At least historically, they liked to see experience in at least 3 areas of vet med, and it looks like you've only got small animal. They also highly recommend LORs from two veterinarians or research scientists who you have worked with in a veterinary/research setting.

Reactions: 1 user
I was OOS applicant to WSU and Missouri and accepted to both. Your GPA and GRE are about what mine were. I think you have pretty decent chance as far as I'm concerned. WSU does like to see everything including hobbies and all community involvement. ie hiking, biking, donating, etc. Include everything! If you can as WZ said try and get some experience outside of small animal (but I know this might be difficult currently with all the situations as stated). Nail your essays and have good LORs and I think you have a decent shot! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good chance...your hours are low but not super low...I'd probably go for it.

Your hours shouldn't hurt you for Davis since from what I recall they don't weigh that as heavily, but it may hurt you for NCSU. At least historically, they liked to see experience in at least 3 areas of vet med, and it looks like you've only got small animal. They also highly recommend LORs from two veterinarians or research scientists who you have worked with in a veterinary/research setting.
Thanks for the feedback! I think I will consider another school to apply to in place of NCSU then.

I was OOS applicant to WSU and Missouri and accepted to both. Your GPA and GRE are about what mine were. I think you have pretty decent chance as far as I'm concerned. WSU does like to see everything including hobbies and all community involvement. ie hiking, biking, donating, etc. Include everything! If you can as WZ said try and get some experience outside of small animal (but I know this might be difficult currently with all the situations as stated). Nail your essays and have good LORs and I think you have a decent shot! Good luck!
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll definitely keep this in mind when entering hobbies and involvement. Hoping to get those hours outside of small animal soon! :) I appreciate it!!