WAMC for a friend: 506/3.45, FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mydogmolly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Buddy is applying next cycle, he's at an SMP right now and doing very well (all As I think so far).

FL applicant, born and raised in upstate NY though
Top 20 school, 3.45 GPA w/ upward trend
505 MCAT from last year, just got a 506 back from a couple months ago

50 hours shadowing (I think)
I know he has good clinical hours (like 200+), and we also worked the same summer job the last few summers which was a camp for sick kids.
RA for 3 years
He did a bunch of service in college (300 or so hours in a service organization)
Also president of a couple clubs in college

Basically I told him to apply to a few NY and all FL state schools, plus the following:
Creighton
SLU
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Frank
NYMC
A handful of DOs

Anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

He could add these schools:
Albany
George Washington
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
any new schools that open for 2018 (NOVA MD, Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser)

Thanks! that really helps. I'm still trying to convince him to buy MSAR lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Buddy is applying next cycle, he's at an SMP right now and doing very well (all As I think so far).

FL applicant, born and raised in upstate NY though
Top 20 school, 3.45 GPA w/ upward trend
505 MCAT from last year, just got a 506 back from a couple months ago

50 hours shadowing (I think)
I know he has good clinical hours (like 200+), and we also worked the same summer job the last few summers which was a camp for sick kids.
RA for 3 years
He did a bunch of service in college (300 or so hours in a service organization)
Also president of a couple clubs in college

Basically I told him to apply to a few NY and all FL state schools, plus the following:
Creighton
SLU
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Frank
NYMC
A handful of DOs

Anything else?

Definitely has a shot at FL IS, those MCATs will hurt him elsewhere MD, but he is competitive for all DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely has a shot at FL IS, those MCATs will hurt him elsewhere MD, but he is competitive for all DO.
That's good to hear. His SMP advisor basically told him not to bother with MD, so it's been hard to convince him not to give up lol

Mind if I ask what SMP? I am in an SMP @ the University of South FL. lol. Also, I would not put weigh on what advisors say, every one I talk to says something different. Also, according to the AAMC GPA/MCAT Grid, your friend has somewhere around 30% chance of acceptance.