DO WAMC for DO Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringD0c

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently applying to this upcoming cycle for medical school and I was wondering what my chances are for getting into the following schools (my top 5, ordered from most preferred to least preferred). I am from the Georgia-Alabama area, to give a reference to what region I am in. I am a white male that graduated from a private liberal arts college in my hometown.

1. University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
3. Campbell State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Auburn Campus
5. Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Academics:
Major: Biology Minor: Chemistry
sGPA: 4.00 cGPA: 3.99 MCAT: 508 (CP: 126 CR: 126 Bio:129 PS: 127)
Summa Cum Laude Graduate (cGPA >3.90)
Graduated with the highest GPA in my class

EC:
This is where I am the most worried based on my application.
I have held a job, full-time for the last three years, the entire time I was in college, which has limited some of my opportunities for research and shadowing. Two of those years were as a shift manager at a store, however. I am currently employed as a Medical Assistant in an urgent care clinic.

I did a small research project as a part of an Immunology class and we created a poster on it, and I have shadowed both a MD (Family Practice) and DO (Orthopedic Surgeon), for a total of about 60 hours combined. I do not have too much of a service background, but I possibly will begin to volunteer at a hospital in some of my free time.

During college, I was a tutor for two years in Chemistry, Biology, A&P, and Problem Solving.

Honors and Awards:
Summa Cum Laude Graduate
Highest GPA
CPC Freshman Chemistry Award
An award given to the "most outstanding" senior Biology major
Dean's List 8/8 Semesters
Legacy Graduate

Like I've stated, I know my ECs are my weakest part, but should my work experience and academics possibly balance out the equation? Thank you all for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you DO only? You should have no problem getting II from those schools. If you want to apply MD, you can too, just apply to schools with regional bias to your area and state schools.

Are you DO only? You should have no problem getting II from those schools. If you want to apply MD, you can too, just apply to schools with regional bias to your area and state schools.
Yes, I'm applying to DO only, I prefer the ideology and the basis of the schools!
I've already gotten a II from ACOM and VCOM, but like I said, UNE COM is my top choice so that's what I'm worried about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm applying to DO only, I prefer the ideology and the basis of the schools!
I've already gotten a II from ACOM and VCOM, but like I said, UNE COM is my top choice so that's what I'm worried about.
I mean, the med school application process in general is a crapshoot, but less so for DO schools. You honestly are in the top 1% of DO applicants based on your metrics.

You may want to apply to your state public MD schools since your stats are competitive. The tuition will be less than for private MD or DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are obviously completely fine... I think you'll have a great application cycle overall.

For schools that place a strong emphasis on having a well-balanced application (KCU; not as savvy with the rest of your list), I think you may be able to land some interviews with well-written secondary essays.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input everyone! I've gotten a secondary from ACOM and VCOM so far, with hopefully more on the way!

Is there anything in particular I should focus on in secondaries?

Is there anything in particular I should focus on in secondaries?
Just don't rush. Take the time needed to give a thoughtful response to the prompts. Take time checking spelling and grammar as you did with your PS. Don't let the quality drop on your secondaries.

First, there is no "DO" ideology. That is all just propaganda. With your stats you have a fairly decent chance at MD, and the honest truth is that the two letters will make your life much easier come residency time, regardless of the field you want to match into. That fact cannot be understated. Why not just apply broadly to both and of you get into MD then go, and if you don't and only get into DO then also go? Why handicap yourself before your career has even started?

Reactions: 3 users

Basically the only difference between a MD and DO curriculum is OMM, which many DOs stop using once they get to residency.

For that, as well as the reasons anatomygrey laid out, rethink this my friend

Reactions: 2 users
Basically the only difference between a MD and DO curriculum is OMM, which many DOs stop using once they get to residency.

For that, as well as the reasons anatomygrey laid out, rethink this my friend

Isn't another difference that DOs can only practice in the US and MDs can practice internationally (because I feel that this would be a huge deal breaker if it's true - being limited to living one place your whole life is, in my opinion a lot worse than being required to conform to a certain 'theology')?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't another difference that DOs can only practice in the US and MDs can practice internationally (because I feel that this would be a huge deal breaker if it's true - being limited to living one place your whole life is, in my opinion a lot worse than being required to conform to a certain 'theology')?

First bolded: No that's a myth. DOs have fairly extensive international practice rights. Second bolded: as an MD/DO you can't really just up and move somewhere expecting to practice medicine, if you want to practice somewhere you need to train there unless it is with an organization like Doctors Without Borders. Medical degrees do not translate well from country to country. Do not expect to train the the US and then be able to go live in another country and practice.

First bolded: No that's a myth. DOs have fairly extensive international practice rights. Second bolded: as an MD/DO you can't really just up and move somewhere expecting to practice medicine, if you want to practice somewhere you need to train there unless it is with an organization like Doctors Without Borders. Medical degrees do not translate well from country to country. Do not expect to train the the US and then be able to go live in another country and practice.

Oh ok, just checking; sorry for the bad info, I just had an MD friend who told me this (orthopedic surgeon, super knowledgeable guy )- I'll be sure to tell him that's it's wrong.
Do you have a source or is this pretty much general knowledge?

Do you have a source or is this pretty much general knowledge?

General knowledge but you can look up the specific laws in each country if you want to do so. Medical degrees are some of the least transferable degrees in the world. When people come here if they want to practice they generally have to complete a second residency here to get practice rights.