WAMC for MD- Re-applicant, low multiple MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted880375

completed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should receive interviews from your Texas schools. OOS MD schools (especially state public schools) interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas residents will stay in Texas. You could try some of the newer MD schools and I suggest these:
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
With your MCAT scores you should also apply to several DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
UIWSOM
SHSU
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM

Reactions: 1 user
This is a much better list/thread, however, I’d still remove:
Central Michigan
E Tennessee
Missouri-Columbia
Arizona-Tucson
Nebraska
California Northstate
All for pretty extreme IS bias. They have a maximum number of OOS spots that they will fill.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a much better list/thread, however, I’d still remove:
Central Michigan
E Tennessee
Missouri-Columbia
Arizona-Tucson
Nebraska
California Northstate
All for pretty extreme IS bias. They have a maximum number of OOS spots that they will fill.

Alright, thank you so much!

Thanks! How many DO schools should I apply to in total? I want to limit as many a possible due to financial reasons.

Thanks! How many DO schools should I apply to in total? I want to limit as many a possible due to financial reasons.
Your app is pretty solid. I would say 10. Maybe as many as 15, but that’s not so necessary. I’d recommend the reputable ones like:
TCOM
ATSU KCOM
KCU COM
DMU COM
Midwestern CCOM
ATSU SOMA
PCOM
VCOM
And SHSU since you are IS

Your app is pretty solid. I would say 10. Maybe as many as 15, but that’s not so necessary. I’d recommend the reputable ones like:
TCOM
ATSU KCOM
KCU COM
DMU COM
Midwestern CCOM
ATSU SOMA
PCOM
VCOM
And SHSU since you are IS

I was planning to shadow a DO and receive a letter from him in the 2-3 months leading up to the cycle, that has not been able to happen due to COVID. I have no DO shadowing experience and will not have a letter from a DO. What are your thoughts on this? Should I aim for closer to 15?

I was planning to shadow a DO and receive a letter from him in the 2-3 months leading up to the cycle, that has not been able to happen due to COVID. I have no DO shadowing experience and will not have a letter from a DO. What are your thoughts on this? Should I aim for closer to 15?
That’s a real bummer. You’ll have to research which schools require a DO letter/shadow and apply to the ones that don’t. Another option is you could just find a DO to write a letter for you after the Corona blows over, and then add those schools (that require a DO letter) to your application (after already applying to the ones that don’t require one). I added quite a few DO schools in late July and submitted secondaries in early August and still received IIs at 5/6 of those.

That’s a real bummer. You’ll have to research which schools require a DO letter/shadow and apply to the ones that don’t. Another option is you could just find a DO to write a letter for you after the Corona blows over, and then add those schools (that require a DO letter) to your application (after already applying to the ones that don’t require one). I added quite a few DO schools in late July and submitted secondaries in early August and still received IIs at 5/6 of those.

Did you have a letter from a DO/DO shadowing experience? Can I send you a PM to get more personal info?

8 schools should be adequate.

Okay, thank you. I was unable to get a DO letter or DO shadowing experience due to COVID. How will this impact the strength of my DO application?

Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't get any interviews the first go ' round. Mid-July is not that late for secondaries, your numbers are 'good enough' though not stellar, and your ECs look very strong.

I'm going to suggest a total re-write of your personal statement as it clearly didn't work for you last time... Also double-check your LORs -- Any chance there was a red flag in there?

I am a RE-APPLICANT. The first time I applied I received no interviews. I applied to all Texas schools and a handful of out of state schools (Penn State, Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Tulane, Georgetown). I APPLIED REALLY LATE for Texas schools (sent in secondaries by like mid July). For OOS I sent a few in September and most by like October, after I saw I wasn’t getting interviews I panicked and added a bunch of OOS schools and turned in secondaries super late. Some were sent in December.

Schools I am planning to apply to 2020-2021 cycle:

MD:
All TX state schools, Jefferson, Tulane, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, EVMS, Quinnipiac, TCU, Central Michigan, E Tennessee, MCW, Uniformed Services University, Kentucky, Louisville , Missouri-Columbia, Seton Hall, Nova SE, Nebraska, AZ-Tucson, CUSM, Northstate, Wake Forest ( I heard they HATE multiple MCATs that are all bad/mediocre, so I might not apply here),

DO:
TCOM, SHSU, UIWSOM, PCOM, CCOM, LECOM, Lincoln Debrusk, ATSU KCOM

AMCAS/AAOCOMAS:
cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.65

TMDSAS:
cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.68

MCAT score(s):
Attempt 1: 507 (all subsections above 126, CARS 128)
2nd: 507 (CARS 124, rest above 126)
3rd: 509 (CARS 124, rest above 126)
Asian/ORM, Texas Resident, US Citizen
I attended a large state school

LizzyM: 68
WARS: 75-77

Clinical experience (volunteer + non-volunteer):
-750+ hours working as EMT
-200~ hours as volunteer EMT
-400 hours volunteering in hospitals/clinics

Research experience:

-1250+ basic science research hours @ large research university
-500+ clinical research hours @ T20 med school (for whatever that’s worth), and 1 Texas medical school
-2 published clinical papers (3rd, 4th author), 2 submitted clinical papers (1st author), 1 submitted basic science paper (2nd author), 1 poster presentation
-1st author on 3 more clinical studies that should be published between now and matriculation.
-pretty solid clinical research topics (not sure if this matters): value-based medicine, quality improvement, etc. (I can PM whoever needs more details on my research, just want to keep some level of anonymity)

Shadowing:
Family medicine: 35 hours
Internal medicine: 35 hours
Pediatric ophthalmologist: 20 hours

I am interested in primary care. I am writing my application to be very primary-care focused. (not sure if this matters)

Nonclinical volunteering:
400 hours with severely disadvantaged/disabled populations (homeless, physical/mental disabilities) across multiple different organizations (once again I can PM people for specific organizations)
- I have been volunteering at one org for the past 3-4 years

Extracurriculars: I played 4 years varsity athletics at my school, during my gap year I have been working as EMT, I have been very productive with my clinical research, and I have been volunteering. I will be continuing all of this during the “glide year” so my clinical/research/volunteering hours will go up at a minimum of 100-200 hours (much more for clinical experience/EMT).

I have secured a very strong LORs from 2 basic science professors and 1 non-science professor. I have a strong letter from my research PI who is a professor and Dean (not admissions Dean) at a medical school. I also will have a strong letter from a person on the admissions committee of a Texas medical school (once again, not sure if title even matters, but may be useful I assume?). I believe my LORs will be very strong.

Leadership: I am involved in several leadership positions, nothing crazy, but solid. I have worked with senior faculty and company execs to improve quality of patient care, served in a leadership position on my sports team, etc.

Teaching: My volunteer work is intertwined with teaching. I am a volunteer physical education teacher and teach disabled students PE class. (250 hours~)

Relevant honors/awards: handful strong academic resaerch awards I received as an undergrad. I was enrolled in an impressive honors program (<1% of students in the department are accepted into program)
Applying to MD schools outside of TX with your stats is an exercise in donations.

Chances best i TX for MD, and anywhere for DO. Just avoid those schools on my Bad Boy list

Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't get any interviews the first go ' round. Mid-July is not that late for secondaries, your numbers are 'good enough' though not stellar, and your ECs look very strong.

I'm going to suggest a total re-write of your personal statement as it clearly didn't work for you last time... Also double-check your LORs -- Any chance there was a red flag in there?

There might have been from one of my LORs. One was very weak, pretty much just 3 shorts paragraphs (2 sentences each). I also didn't apply to DO schools the first time.

Applying to MD schools outside of TX with your stats is an exercise in donations.

Chances best i TX for MD, and anywhere for DO. Just avoid those schools on my Bad Boy list

Thanks! Where do I find this "bad boy" list?

Nevermind I found it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you mind being completely honest with how many and which Texas MD schools I will most likely be able to interview at given I have a strong personal statement + secondaries? This whole replication process has been so depressing for me and its so hard to stay positive.