deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrotherBro

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be honest nothing really stands out for T20 given your CV, however a large part of this process depends on your writing/interviewing/networking skills so try to capitalize there

Note, in the event that you are considered URM, and given your state residency is ND, then you will likely be given a chance at higher tier schools because of your sky high stats, reputable undergrad, and 'diverse' geographic/ethnic background

There are more seasoned folks here who can create a specific school list for you, so I'll leave that to them

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. The supply drive (100 hours) looks good. If you get more hours out of it, that would be great.

The mentoring and teaching work go under teaching and tutoring. Writing with underserved children is a nice bonus.

How long have you lived in ND?

Are you fluent in Spanish? Or could get a strong grasp?

The outreach is a form of volunteering but does not really count in terms of getting outside of an academic environment and helping those less fortunate. It helps somewhat if the program you were doing was for students who are underrepresented in medicine, but still would be better if you had experience with people who lack basic needs like food, shelter etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I see. Neither parent speaks Spanish so no, but I'm in the process of learning on my own. Is it endearing for applicants to be making an effort to learn or will I not be taken seriously?
Speaking the language always helps. But not having grown up with the language or having someone in your family who speaks it means you’re probably learning about as fast as any other applicant.

Are either of your parents Mexican? Did you spend time growing up or visiting grandparents who were?

One of them is, and yeah I did before they became estranged. None of them lived in Mexico or anything like that, but Mexican in the United States.
You could discuss your experience growing up in your culture then in diversity essays/when applicable. Do keep trying to learn Spanish.

I suggest:

ND
Miami
USF
Einstein
Rochester
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
UVA
Hofstra
Columbia
NYU
WUSTL
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Penn
Iowa
Baylor
UTSW (this and Baylor are TMDAS FYI)
Yale
Harvard
Keck
Emory
Vermont
Northwestern
Pittsburgh
SLU

Reactions: 1 user
thanks so much! One more question, do you think I'd fighting chance at any UC's? I'd like to apply to UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD, but see conflicting info about whether or not they are OOS-friendly.
You could try them if you are interested. UCSF may expect more service. UCSD takes OOS students, but may waitlist many of the OOS students they interview. Your high stats help.

With your academic record and MCAT, your state of residence and your ethnic heritage, you will be recruited with vigor.

Have you done any outreach in rural areas and/or among Native American populations? (Just asking because of your state's population.)

Strong applicant if you are considered URM; pack fodder for top 20s if not.