WAMC for TX resident? 4.00/517 but no research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mian97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS 4.00 cumulative GPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown 130/128/130/129 or 517
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) TX resident
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Asian/Pakistani
  5. Undergraduate institution or category state public undergrad (UofH)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Hospice volunteer 2 years ~150 hours. nursing home patient companion volunteer for ~100 hours 3 years. i am trying to get a medical scribe job and rack up a few hours before app cycle but i might not get it cuz of COVID :(
  7. Research experience and productivity: None but i am vigorously applying to positions and will try my hardest to get around 100 hours or so before i apply
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours with a Primary care doc
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 180 hours over 4 years as a general community service volunteer with my local mosque. 45 hours 1 year as a houston food bank volunteer during 2020. i am also trying to get a homeless shelter volunteer position as well as of now.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc: I have no on campus extracurriculars because if I wasn’t in class, I was working with my father in our small businesss laundromat. I worked for the majority of undergrad 3+ years here. I also worked as a pharm tech for 1 year prior to this. This is my gap year and in addition to applying this cycle, I will be beefing up my research in aims of getting a poster, will try to gain more non clinical volunteer hours safely, and will try to rack up hours at my scribe job
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Phi Beta Kappa honor society member. 1 of only 2 students to get a 4.00 cumulative GPA in NSM for the semester I graduated. Deans list and distinguished scholars list every semester
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: potential red flags include 1) im naturally a bad writer, and although I will work really really hard on my essays and get others to review it, I’m scared this will hinder me 2) I’m quite nervous so I’m scared my interview won’t go well although I will prepare vigorously
School List: I’m applying to all my instate MD schools in TX (11 total schools). I really do not want to leave TX for family reasons as well as I want to graduate med school with least amount of debt. My logic is if I can’t get into 1 TX school that means my app isn’t good and there’s a high chance I wouldn’t have gotten into an OOS school either. Plus I can’t really afford a lot of applications and TMDSAS makes it pretty affordable to apply to my instate TX schools. My dream school is obv Baylor but I know my subpar research will keep me out. My realistic dream is UTMB and McGovern. Do I have a good chance there?

thank you for taking the time to read this!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have excellent stats and well-rounded, long-term activities. You should do some research to check that box, but once you do I think you'll have a very good shot at TX MD schools. Now Baylor is hard for most people to get into, but I think if you check the research box you'll have a shot.

Also, it's fine that you had to work part time during undergrad - you can and should highlight that positively; shows resolve, maturity, grit etc. in your life story. With regards to your writing/essays, have friends/family/writing department check them over, and make sure you have good letters. Good luck!