MD WAMC GPA 3.82, MCAT 514 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
  1. cGPA: 3.82, sGPA: 3.80
  2. 514 (129/124/130/131)
  3. CA
  4. ORM
  5. top 20 undergrad
  6. hospital volunteer (200 hours), health fair/clinic volunteer (200 hours).
  7. 1 low level journal pub, several posters from lab (600 hours) and from clubs
  8. 60 hours shadowing opthalmology
  9. mentoring underresourced high school students (100 hours). 2 leadership positions in health fair clubs.
  10. trad applicant, 60 hours undergrad ta.
  11. a LOT of details have been omitted above for privacy purposes. for ASU/Carle/EnMed I have fulfilled the extra math course requirements, so that is not an issue.
Schools applied to:
ASU
BU
CUSM
Carle
CWRU
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Geisel
Icahn
Keck
OSU
Stanford
TAMU EnMed
Tufts
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
CU Anschutz
 
You have many reaches that you applied to with a MCAT of 514. Some schools screen at 150 hours for non clinical volunteering (excluding mentoring/teaching).
I suggest adding these schools:
California Northstate
Roseman
Alice Walton
TCU
Belmont
Methodist
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Albany
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
 
Unless you chose not to list your non-clinical service orientation hours, your application is likely to be screened out if you completely lack food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation work when you submitted. I need clarity how you have a research accomplishment from club membership. I also think you need more diversity in physician shadowing than 60 hours of ophthalmology.

I know you're not going to spill the tea on your academics, but I assume that if you fulfilled the math requirements, you are majoring in an engineering/quantitative area. Have you talked with their admissions teams before you submitted your AMCAS? What do your prehealth advisors think?

Honestly, the profile is rather sparse for a T20 undergrad applying to medical school. Being overly private makes the advice you receive much less than optimal. We know that applicants who have rely on a strong accountability network of advisors, peers, references, and champions tend to do better in getting accepted and thriving in professional school. Nothing described here gives me confidence you have such a support system. I see checked boxes, and not a person I'd want to have in my medical school.
 
Last edited: