MD WAMC GPA 3.9x/MCAT 518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerrose07

Reaction score
1617148486480.png

Applying this cycle as a rising senior in undergrad.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.9X

MCAT: 518 (131/128/130/129)

Undergrad institution: state school

Clinical experience: hospital volunteering (got up to 125 hours before Covid shut everything down - hopefully will get more hours over senior year)

Shadowing: ~40 hours shadowing - once again, hoping to get more hours my senior year

Research: ~1000 hours in a lab; will continue working there over the summer (+400 hours) and next year (~250 hours).
I will be doing a senior thesis next year.

Non-clinical volunteering: ~25 hours tutoring, volunteering in a soup kitchen (40 hours before it was shut down by the pandemic)

Other extracurriculars: Club sport, ~800 hours
Vice president of a campus org.
Worked part-time ~100hrs

I really hope medical schools are merciful to my hours with this pandemic going on. (I really was hoping for those summer 2020 hours but alas)

Tentative school list (would appreciate more suggestions!)
UPenn (too high?)
Yale (too high?)
NYU (too high?)
State schools
UF (I have ties to the state)
Northwestern
UVA
Emory
UPitt
Pritzker
Wake Forest

Should I be applying to more research-heavy schools, since that is really the highlight of my app? Or not aim too high? Would appreciate all of your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yours is a research heavy app, so apply to few research heavy weights, your in-state and some regional ones. your volunteer hourrs meet the minimums. Try to get primary care shadowing. I believe Pritzker need lot of service. I would add Case. You can try JHU, Vanderbilt also.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your state schools and have a strong base of mid-tiers/safeties. Then you can apply to the reaches. In addition to your current list look into:

Tulane, Miami, USF, Rochester, Cincinnati, VTech, Vermont, Einstein, Hofstra, Vermont, Jefferson, BU.

Once you've added about 5 or so from those (or similar) + state schools, then you can start filling your list up with the research-heavy reaches. Your app does fit the profile.

Reactions: 1 users