WAMC Gpa: 4.0 Mcat: 517 Help with school list and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premed202489

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys any recommendations for my school list? What are your recommendations. Thanks

Grades: cGPA is 4.00 and sGPA is 4.00.

URM: Don't know, have read in some threads that Puertoricans are urm's but others say otherwise

MCAT: 517 (130/128/129/130)

Race: Puerto Rican (Hispanic)

University: University of Florida

Clinical Work Experience:
350 hours working as a volunteer on emergency room(1.5 years)

Research: 1800 hours of research in a development biology lab of my institution (1 poster, 1 presentation and a honor's thesis)
400 hours in a summer internship.

Shadowing: 100 hours, 3 doctors in total including primary care (40 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-Homeless shelter (150 hours)
-Red Cross (500 hours)

Extracurriculars: Tutor for precalculus and chemistry for 1 years (100 hours), Vice-president of a college organization for a year

Honors/Awards: Member of my university honor's program , Dean's List all semesters, Honor's Scholarship

Current List:
Miami
Duke
Georgetown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Harvard
Yale
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Case Western
U Michigan
Northwestern
All state schools

What schools should I add or remove? And what part of my application should I strengthen before applying? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think I would consider myself a Florida resident since I lived and grew up in Puerto Rico, started college there but moved to Florida on March and Im finishing college here.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are considered URM. You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
USF Morsani
Washington University
U Chicago
UCSF
USC Keck
Kaiser

You are considered URM. You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
USF Morsani
Washington University
U Chicago
UCSF
USC Keck
Kaiser
Thanks, schools added to my list

Sincerely, you can apply absolutely anywhere. A URM with your stats is highly sought-after. Take your pick of the top 20. Anywhere in the country! Of course be sure to add your state schools, but I would shoot for free school at NYU or super cheap school at Baylor! That's my two-cents. All the prestige. None of the cost.

Current student at a T5 medical school - You have a very solid application overall, and the URM status will help, although I can confidently say that the URM students at my school are just as spectacular as the non-URMs. For me, I think you check all the boxes but nothing exactly stands out for me. For the top schools that you are applying to, they're expecting more than the generic ER work, red cross volunteering, and UG tutoring. Something you can really capitalize on can be your research which seems to be a strength for you. Really highlight this in your secondaries and interviews and how you'll fit into the class as the future physician that will be driving scientific innovation. Hope this helps.

Sincerely, you can apply absolutely anywhere. A URM with your stats is highly sought-after. Take your pick of the top 20. Anywhere in the country! Of course be sure to add your state schools, but I would shoot for free school at NYU or super cheap school at Baylor! That's my two-cents. All the prestige. None of the cost.
Thanks for the advice

Current student at a T5 medical school - You have a very solid application overall, and the URM status will help, although I can confidently say that the URM students at my school are just as spectacular as the non-URMs. For me, I think you check all the boxes but nothing exactly stands out for me. For the top schools that you are applying to, they're expecting more than the generic ER work, red cross volunteering, and UG tutoring. Something you can really capitalize on can be your research which seems to be a strength for you. Really highlight this in your secondaries and interviews and how you'll fit into the class as the future physician that will be driving scientific innovation. Hope this helps.
Yeah i know my ec's are kind of average for T5, my main focus was research because I first was going to apply for MD/Phd but then decided to go MD only. Do you think my high research hours compared to average non clinical and clinical will make me look more like a Phd applicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.