MD & DO WAMC: Help Expanding School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorswithborders013

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.08; 4.0 post-bacc, AAMC sGPA: 2.96, AACOMAS sGPA: 2.92
  2. MCAT: 507 (127/126/127/127)
  3. State of residence: WA
  4. Ethnicity: White
  5. Undergraduate institution: California State School - BS Biomedical Engineering
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    >2000 hours Medical Platoon Leader - US Army
    150 hours Volunteering VA ED
  7. Research experience and productivity
    No Clinical Research
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    30 hours Shadowing Neurosurgeon
    80 hours Shadowing Emergency
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    50+ hours therapeutic riding center for children with disabilities
    100+ hours misc events
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1 Year Engineer
    3 Years US Army Officer
    3 Years ROTC with National Scholarship
    2 Years College Marching Band
    2 Years Biomedical Engineering Society
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    Green Belt - Lean Sigma
    Army Commendation Medal
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

School's so far
MD
  • UW
  • WSU
  • MSUSHM
  • Ohio State
  • Western Michigan
DO
  • PNWU
  • Western - both campuses
  • Midwestern
  • MSUCOM
  • AT Stills - Mesa
  • OKSUCOM
  • ICOM

Members don't see this ad.

UW and WSU are the only MD schools where you might receive an interview. Add many more DO schools and consider all these:
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
CHSU-COM
If you can take additional science courses this semester to raise your sGPA to 3.0 your chances will increase significantly. Science courses at a local community college would be fine.

UW and WSU are the only MD schools where you might receive an interview. Add many more DO schools and consider all these:
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
CHSU-COM
If you can take additional science courses this semester to raise your sGPA to 3.0 your chances will increase significantly. Science courses at a local community college would be fine.

Thanks so much for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
CHSU-COM
Agree with the wise Faha, but can't recommend LUCOM, CHSU, LMU, Wm carey, or BCOM.
Suggest adding all VCOMs, TUNCOM, AZCOM.

Agree with the wise Faha, but can't recommend LUCOM, CHSU, LMU, Wm carey, or BCOM.
Suggest adding all VCOMs, TUNCOM, AZCOM.

Thanks Goro!

Yeah...I have seen several people maintain at least a skeptical view on those schools. I was just about to email VCOM about their minimum 3.2 requirement since they list it as "should have achieved" and not so much a definite threshold.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. cGPA: 3.08; 4.0 post-bacc, AAMC sGPA: 2.96, AACOMAS sGPA: 2.92
  2. MCAT: 507 (127/126/127/127)
  3. State of residence: WA
  4. Ethnicity: White
  5. Undergraduate institution: California State School - BS Biomedical Engineering
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    >2000 hours Medical Platoon Leader - US Army
    150 hours Volunteering VA ED
  7. Research experience and productivity
    No Clinical Research
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    30 hours Shadowing Neurosurgeon
    80 hours Shadowing Emergency
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    50+ hours therapeutic riding center for children with disabilities
    100+ hours misc events
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1 Year Engineer
    3 Years US Army Officer
    3 Years ROTC with National Scholarship
    2 Years College Marching Band
    2 Years Biomedical Engineering Society
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    Green Belt - Lean Sigma
    Army Commendation Medal
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

School's so far
MD
  • UW
  • WSU
  • MSUSHM
  • Ohio State
  • Western Michigan
DO
  • PNWU
  • Western - both campuses
  • Midwestern
  • MSUCOM
  • AT Stills - Mesa
  • OKSUCOM
  • ICOM
Before applying, make sure the schools on your list give you insight on their experience with engineering applicants. This is one reason why I ask what your upper level biomedical science grades are.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Before applying, make sure the schools on your list give you insight on their experience with engineering applicants. This is one reason why I ask what your upper level biomedical science grades are.

My Upper Division BMED GPA is at a 3.04, so still not the strongest.

In your experience, how are engineering applicants viewed? I have been reaching out to schools on their minimum requirements and have mostly gotten the response that those minimums must be met to receive a secondary (especially if the school offers an SMP). It's a little frustrating given that my grades are primarily based on my performance nearly 10 years ago. Even getting a 4.0 this year in my DIY post-bacc I'll achieve the numbers above and if I delay to next cycle and have another year of 4.0 I'll still only reach 3.2 cGPA and 3.15 sGPA.

Can getting the year of 4.0 in hard sciences, true professional experience/a substantially more amount of maturity get me through this cycle? Or should I really just postpone to the next cycle with a slight improvement?

My Upper Division BMED GPA is at a 3.04, so still not the strongest.

In your experience, how are engineering applicants viewed? I have been reaching out to schools on their minimum requirements and have mostly gotten the response that those minimums must be met to receive a secondary (especially if the school offers an SMP). It's a little frustrating given that my grades are primarily based on my performance nearly 10 years ago. Even getting a 4.0 this year in my DIY post-bacc I'll achieve the numbers above and if I delay to next cycle and have another year of 4.0 I'll still only reach 3.2 cGPA and 3.15 sGPA.

Can getting the year of 4.0 in hard sciences, true professional experience/a substantially more amount of maturity get me through this cycle? Or should I really just postpone to the next cycle with a slight improvement?
Most people should acknowledge an engineering curriculum is more rigorous than a traditional science or biological based major. That's why one should look at any upper level biology coursework and balance it against engineering courses taken concurrently. If your degree is that old, a career changer postbac may be a consideration.