WAMC/Help with School List (Reapp - cGPA 3.91, MCAT 522)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrodyBrody

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm prepping for a reapp after a cycle 2 years ago that resulted in one WL from a state school. Please let me know what you think about my school list!

ORM, NJ Resident
cGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 522

Clinical:
  • Volunteer EMT - 500 hours
  • Free HIV Testing in Underserved Areas - 25 hours current hours / 65 projected
  • Hospice Volunteer - 25 hours current hours / 100 projected
  • Emergency Department Volunteer - 100 hours current hours / 200 projected
Research:
  • Computational Genetics Research (no presentation/publication) - 300 hours
  • NIH IRTA Wet Lab Research (2 poster presentations/2 manuscripts submitted) - 2000 current hours / 2000 projected
Leadership/Teaching:
  • Homeless Street Outreach Co-Lead Coordinator - 50 current hours / 150 projected
  • Organic Chemistry Tutor - 120 hours
  • Volunteer TA - 300 hours
Non-Clinical:
  • Big Brother (BBBS) - 45 hours
  • Working with a non-profit to implement a community fridge in an underserved area - 30 current hours / 30 projected
Shadowed multiple physicians in different specialties - about 120/130 hours of experience.

I honestly think one of my biggest weaknesses last cycle was not getting enough exposure to medicine. I had my EMT experiences, but that was basically it. As a result, my writing suffered, and my "why" wasn't as strong as I would've liked it to be. The school list was also top-heavy because I used MSAR stats to guide my list.

Of the activities I listed above, these are the ones that I have either expanded upon or picked up since the last application: HIV Testing, Hospice, Emergency Dept Volunteering, NIH IRTA, Homeless Outreach, and Community Fridge Work.

This year, I plan to apply to all (4) NJ state schools. Outside of those, I have:
UPenn
SKMC
Temple
Drexel
Hopkins
Duke
Feinberg
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
Hofstra
Stony Brook

I really don't want to go top-heavy again, so I'm wondering what other options I'd have.

Thank you for your time. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also, if you have time to perhaps go over my PS and W&A, I'd be elated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck... we'll see if your WL turns to an A. Otherwise, I think the added activities will help you.
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, that WL never turned into an A (I applied during the 2021-2022 cycle and took an extra year to prepare for this upcoming one). Do you have other schools you’d recommend I add to my list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops! Misread that detail then. Could you highlight your improvements to your application since the last attempt then? Your non-clinical volunteering still seems to be light.

No problem!

Since my last attempt, I've:
  • Began a wet lab research position at NIH (2000 hours)
  • Gained a leadership position conducting street outreach for the homeless population. (50 hours)
  • Started hospice volunteering (25 hours)
  • Joined a non-profit looking to set up a community fridge in an underserved community (30 hours)
  • Continued to volunteer as a TA (200 hours)
  • Free HIV Testing in Underserved Areas (25 hours)
  • Emergency Dept Volunteering (100 hours)

Remove Drexel and Temple since they will "yield protect" with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts
Boston University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Case Western
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
U Michigan
Kaiser

Remove Drexel and Temple since they will "yield protect" with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts
Boston University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Case Western
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
U Michigan
Kaiser
Thank you very much for the suggestions! Is it alright to still apply to Temple/Drexel if I did my undergrad there? Also, I’m assuming applying to DO schools will also lead to me getting yield-protected? I was thinking about applying to Rowan SOM for a safe floor.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Is it alright to still apply to Temple/Drexel if I did my undergrad there? Also, I’m assuming applying to DO schools will also lead to me getting yield-protected? I was thinking about applying to Rowan SOM for a safe floor.
IMO, in-state programs should not be yield protecting. This includes DO programs. Mission fit is important.

Yes, apply there if that is your undergraduate school.

Hello @Faha and @Mr.Smile12!

I was actually wondering if you had any other schools that'd you recommend I add to my list! I'm having a difficult time making a reasonable list without adding more of the top heavy programs, but I'm also afraid of getting yield-protected at low-tier programs.

Could DC, VA, and MD schools be viable here? I've volunteered a lot in the DMV area this past year while researching at NIH.

Thanks!

Hello @Faha and @Mr.Smile12!

I was actually wondering if you had any other schools that'd you recommend I add to my list! I'm having a difficult time making a reasonable list without adding more of the top heavy programs, but I'm also afraid of getting yield-protected at low-tier programs.

Could DC, VA, and MD schools be viable here? I've volunteered a lot in the DMV area this past year while researching at NIH.

Thanks!
Virginia schools are generally OOS friendly though check the MSAR just in case. The two DC George-schools, you can apply there understanding each takes in at least 10K applications, so mission fit is going to matter to stand out. To that end, if you did a lot of non-clinical community service around the DC area (where there are PLENTY of opportunities), you could impress the screeners regarding mission fit. Georgetown really pushes cura personalis as the succinct statement of their core value, so be fully aware what that means.

Faha's suggestions are reasonable, but you need to make your mission fit align with the programs.

Hey @Faha and @Mr.Smile12!

I just wanted to update you and let you know that this cycle was a success :) Thanks so much for all the advice; I think this school list helped a bunch. 8 interviews and 5 acceptances so far.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users