Reapplicant WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deku186

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: (July ~5-15)
Overall GPA: 3.98
Science GPA: 3.96
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.95
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

1st DAT AA: 20 / TS: 22 / PAT: 19 / RC: 16 :cryi:/ QR: 19 / Bio: 23 / Chem: 21 / OC: 21

2nd DAT AA: 23 / TS: 23 / PAT: 19 / RC: 21 / QR: 22 / Bio: 27 / Chem: 22 / OC: 22

State of Residence: Virginia

Undergrad Attended:
N/A
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority?
No - Asian
Reapplicant? Yes after this current cycle (2022-2023)
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
144 hours with 1 general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 260 hours in total: 200 Foodbank & ~60 hours tutoring students online
Employment: Amazon worker 1 summer during freshman year, currently unemployed.
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Member of Pre-health club and Vietnamese Student Association. Play intramural sports, such as soccer, badminton, and ping-pong. I play open-gym volleyball every week (don't know if i can list this). Member of Toastmasters.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans List every semester; Perfect Scholar for 2 semesters
LOR type and strength: Mediocre/Average
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I applied in the 2022-2023 application cycle and was given 3 interviews (VCU - instate / LECOM / Maryland) but have been waitlisted/ghosted at all three. Although my interview skills weren't the best (noticeably got better with every interview), I think a primary factor is my low RC section on my DAT.

I fixed my low DAT score, and now I think my only glaring weakness in my application is the lack of leadership/experiences compared to other applicants. In my gap year, I plan on learning muay thai as a hobby, doing improv/communication club, and being a dental assistant.

School List:
-LECOM
-VCU (IS)
- Maryland
-Marquette
-UCONN (Highly thinking about removing it from my list just because I have no research hours). Applied last cycle didn't get a interview
-UNLV (Not sure if my stats would land an interview; Applied last cycle, didn't receive an interview)
-Buffalo
- Rutgers
- Roseman
- Temple
- OSU
- Colorado
- Louisville (Still hesitant on if I should apply here because of OOS cost)
- UNE
- UTHSC (Still hesitant on if I should apply here because of OOS cost)
- Pitt
- Utah

Recently had the talk by family members that I should apply to more schools (20-30) because I loss a year by not getting in last cycle. I want to get accepted this cycle, but I am also not willing to attend an expensive school to do that. Is my list good? Any schools you would add or remove? Please, any feedback would greatly help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: N/A (Next cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 20 / TS: 22 / PAT: 19 / RC: 16 :confused: / QR: 19 / Bio: 23 / Chem: 21 / OC: 21

Undergrad Attended:
N/A
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
134 hours with 1 general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 114 hours at the moment, but plan on having 200-300 hours by application cycle in spring 2022. I volunteer at my local foodbank (large majority of the hours) and tutor students through an online platform
Other Extracurriculars: Member of Pre-dental club and Vietnamese Student Association. Play intramural sports, such as soccer, badminton, and ping-pong
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans List every semester; Perfect Scholar for 2 semesters
LOR type and strength: Mediocre/Average - Haven't been able to make good connections with my professors; I am getting a committee letter

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!
22 TS is not average
trust the process...

Reactions: 1 user
Your AA is good but not great for going all the way out of your region in my opinion. (Please explain how you came up with your list, which has a lot of out-of-region schools.)

If you have had no consistent history of volunteering or extracurricular/leadership activities, it doesn't help us determine how truly dedicated you are once you commit to something. That said, this is an entirely subjective issue that will get a lot of different responses from faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your AA is good but not great for going all the way out of your region in my opinion. (Please explain how you came up with your list, which has a lot of out-of-region schools.)

If you have had no consistent history of volunteering or extracurricular/leadership activities, it doesn't help us determine how truly dedicated you are once you commit to something. That said, this is an entirely subjective issue that will get a lot of different responses from faculty.
I've been lurking around SDN, reddit, and facebook, and the majority of people say "choose the cheapest dental school". Cost is an important factor to me which is why I decided to make my list around schools that are cheaper and more out of state friendly regardless of region or location.

I've been lurking around SDN, reddit, and facebook, and the majority of people say "choose the cheapest dental school". Cost is an important factor to me which is why I decided to make my list around schools that are cheaper and more out of state friendly regardless of region or location.
I don't disagree that you should choose the dental school that puts you in the least amount of debt, but with your GPA, you could have a good shot with a strong fit to get a decent financial aid package. Again, it all depends on the rest of your application and how it fits the mission of the schools you apply to.

Besides, I always considered the advice on "choose the cheapest dental school" to be a choice among those that offered you admission, not at the point where you are picking schools. Some students when they plan their applications may already have applied to HPSP or NHSC which -- if given those scholarships -- will take the issue of cost of attendance significantly off the table (for a good part anyway).

Date of submission: N/A (Next cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 20 / TS: 22 / PAT: 19 / RC: 16 / QR: 19 / Bio: 23 / Chem: 21 / OC: 21

Undergrad Attended:
N/A
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
134 hours with 1 general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 114 hours at the moment, but plan on having 200-300 hours by application cycle in spring 2022. I volunteer at my local foodbank (large majority of the hours) and tutor students through an online platform
Other Extracurriculars: Member of Pre-health club and Vietnamese Student Association. Play intramural sports, such as soccer, badminton, and ping-pong. I play open-gym volleyball every week (don't know if i can list this). Active member of Toastmasters just started in 9/07/21 and will continue until I graduate.

LOR type and strength: Mediocre/Average - Haven't been able to make good connections with my professors; I am getting a committee letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I finished my shadowing in 1 semester and I just started volunteering/doing extracurriculars this semester (Fall 2021), does it look bad?

School List:

-LECOM
-VCU
-Marquette
-Meharry
-SIU
-UNLV
-Tennessee
-UCLA (Reach, don't know if I should apply)
-Creighton
-Maryland
DAT is not as strong as I would have liked for UCLA, considering our averages are usually 23AA; also Meharry is an HBCU so if that does not describe your background, I would not apply there. I think you need to take a closer look at your school list since yes you have schools that are a little cheaper but they're not so OOS friendly imo.

DAT is not as strong as I would have liked for UCLA, considering our averages are usually 23AA; also Meharry is an HBCU so if that does not describe your background, I would not apply there. I think you need to take a closer look at your school list since yes you have schools that are a little cheaper but they're not so OOS friendly imo.
Agreed, look at OOS friendly schools.

cost is very important, but don't donate app money to schools that will never look at you

I don't disagree that you should choose the dental school that puts you in the least amount of debt, but with your GPA, you could have a good shot with a strong fit to get a decent financial aid package. Again, it all depends on the rest of your application and how it fits the mission of the schools you apply to.

Besides, I always considered the advice on "choose the cheapest dental school" to be a choice among those that offered you admission, not at the point where you are picking schools. Some students when they plan their applications may already have applied to HPSP or NHSC which -- if given those scholarships -- will take the issue of cost of attendance significantly off the table (for a good part anyway).
I thought that the NHSC scholarship opens very late, like the May right before you start classes. Don't students already selected and locked in their schools by the time they apply for the NHSC or am I misunderstanding?

I'll defer to people who are more directly involved and knowledgeable about the process, but I have had many individuals connect with HPSP or NHSC contacts ahead of time so they are aware of the process. It helps to know, especially when federal budgets are not yet approved.

Updated School List:
-VCU (In-state)
-UCONN
-Maryland
-Buffalo
-Marquette
-OSU
-UNLV
-LECOM
-CREIGHTON
-LOUISVIILLE (Most expensive OOS school on the list, might not even apply)

I made my school list primarily around schools that offer in-state tuition for OOS applicants. I'm only applying to 9 schools (minus Louisville), what do you guys think are my chances with these schools.

Hi you guys, I need some direction and advice

I applied this current cycle (2022-2023) and was given 3 interviews but all waitlisted. As this cycle is coming to a close, I need to be realistic and prepare to reapply again. Do you think the only limiting factor of my application (from a general perspective) is my DAT score? Also, anything else you guys recommend I should do?

Hi you guys, I need some direction and advice

I applied this current cycle (2022-2023) and was given 3 interviews but all waitlisted. As this cycle is coming to a close, I need to be realistic and prepare to reapply again. Do you think the only limiting factor of my application (from a general perspective) is my DAT score? Also, anything else you guys recommend I should do?
Waitlist is a waitlist, I would contact schools and see if you can send an LOI if you feel that it may help you. Show interest in the schools and that you would want to go there if given an acceptance.

Your DAT could have possibly hurt you slightly, a 16RC is pretty low as most schools RC averages are 22+ for entering class. If you plan on doing better on the DAT, really focus on that. I would submit your apps early in June if you can and notify schools through AADSAAS that you plan on retaking the DAT. They can process your transcript during this time and schools can get your app faster and then complete your app once the scores are verified. Then you aren't waiting until August.

I would apply to more schools if you are weary. Should you do better on the DAT with more even scores you probably could stick with ~9 schools. But a lot of them aren't the most OOS-friendly which may have cost you. You may hear back from LECOM since it's private and they may have more WL movement.

Hopefully this cycle has a little bit of hope left, but I would prep for a reapplication like you are doing. Keep your volunteer work up, schools will want to know that you are still improving your application.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, sorry, I just retook the DAT and updated my school list so I wanted some feedback. Should I make a new WAMC question instead of this preexisting one

Oh, sorry, I just retook the DAT and updated my school list so I wanted some feedback. Should I make a new WAMC question instead of this preexisting one
Ah gotcha! No, but I would repost it below so we can see or just mention you changed it instead of just saying bump.

I’d recommend just posting it as a new comment so we can see it without having to scroll all the way up!

Date of submission: (July ~5-15)
Overall GPA: 3.98
Science GPA: 3.96
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.95
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

1st DAT AA: 20 / TS: 22 / PAT: 19 / RC: 16 :cryi:/ QR: 19 / Bio: 23 / Chem: 21 / OC: 21

2nd DAT AA: 23 / TS: 23 / PAT: 19 / RC: 21 / QR: 22 / Bio: 27 / Chem: 22 / OC: 22

Undergrad Attended:
N/A
Minority?
No - Asian
Reapplicant? Yes after this current cycle (2022-2023)
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
144 hours with 1 general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 260 hours in total: 200 Foodbank & ~60 hours tutoring students online
Other Extracurriculars: Member of Pre-health club and Vietnamese Student Association. Play intramural sports, such as soccer, badminton, and ping-pong. I play open-gym volleyball every week (don't know if i can list this). Member of Toastmasters.

LOR type and strength: Mediocre/Average
I applied in the 2022-2023 application cycle and was given 3 interviews (VCU - instate / LECOM / Maryland) but have been waitlisted/ghosted at all three. Although my interview skills weren't the best (noticeably got better with every interview), I think a primary factor is my low RC section on my DAT.

I fixed my low DAT score, and now I think my only glaring weakness in my application is the lack of leadership/experiences compared to other applicants. In my gap year, I plan on learning muay thai as a hobby, doing improv/communication club, and being a dental assistant.

School List:
-LECOM
-VCU (IS)
- Maryland
-Marquette
-UCONN (Highly thinking about removing it from my list just because I have no research hours). Applied last cycle didn't get a interview
-UNLV (Not sure if my stats would land an interview; Applied last cycle, didn't receive an interview)
-Buffalo
- Rutgers
- Roseman
- Temple
- OSU
- Colorado
- Louisville (Still hesitant on if I should apply here because of OOS cost)
- UNE
- UTHSC (Still hesitant on if I should apply here because of OOS cost)
- Pitt
- Utah

Recently had the talk by family members that I should apply to more schools (20-30) because I loss a year by not getting in last cycle. I want to get accepted this cycle, but I am also not willing to attend an expensive school to do that. Is my list good? Any schools you would add or remove? Please, any feedback would greatly help!

You absolutely do not need to go past 15 schools. Anything after that is overkill and a complete waste of your time and money with your new DAT score

Schools that stand out to me are: Utah, Colorado, Roseman, UNLV : reasons being that they are pretty regionally far away from you and I’m unsure if your app meets the schools missions

The rest of your list seems fine. Definitely need to focus and prep for your interviews. With 3 interviews and zero bites that tells me you didn’t give admissions enough reasons. It’s frustrating feeling ghosted as well. The new DAT score will be very much welcomed (and congrats on it!). I would make sure you get your app in relatively soon and just start practicing for how you plan on presenting yourself in interviews. How to tell your story and how you’ve worked on strengthening your app will help you.

I think 12-15 schools would be sufficient. It will be difficult to get into schools that grant IS tuition after first year (Admissions knows that’s one reason why you applied) so try to avoid the outrageously expensive schools, which you don’t really have on your list. So you should be okay. Hopefully you hear back from your state school. Try to see if you can attend any events the school is hosting or try to network with admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
You absolutely do not need to go past 15 schools. Anything after that is overkill and a complete waste of your time and money with your new DAT score

Schools that stand out to me are: UTHSC, Utah, Colorado, Roseman, UNLV : reasons being you’re not from Texas (slim to no chance given their class is >90% IS students) and the rest are pretty regionally far away from you and I’m unsure if your app meets the schools missions

The rest of your list seems fine. Definitely need to focus and prep for your interviews. With 3 interviews and zero bites that tells me you didn’t give admissions enough reasons. It’s frustrating feeling ghosted as well. The new DAT score will be very much welcomed (and congrats on it!). I would make sure you get your app in relatively soon and just start practicing for how you plan on presenting yourself in interviews. How to tell your story and how you’ve worked on strengthening your app will help you.

I think 12-15 schools would be sufficient. It will be difficult to get into schools that grant IS tuition after first year (Admissions knows that’s one reason why you applied) so try ti avoid the outrageously expensive schools, which you don’t really have on your list. So you should be okay. Hopefully you hear back from your state school. Try to see if you can attend any events the school is hosting or try to network with admissions.
as usual, i agree with ryxn
get your app in and practice your interviews

Reactions: 2 users

Schools that stand out to me are: UTHSC, Utah, Colorado, Roseman, UNLV : reasons being you’re not from Texas (slim to no chance given their class is >90% IS students) and the rest are pretty regionally far away from you and I’m unsure if your app meets the schools missions

I think 12-15 schools would be sufficient. It will be difficult to get into schools that grant IS tuition after first year (Admissions knows that’s one reason why you applied) so try ti avoid the outrageously expensive schools, which you don’t really have on your list. So you should be okay. Hopefully you hear back from your state school. Try to see if you can attend any events the school is hosting or try to network with admissions.
isn't UTHSC tennessee?

now I think my only glaring weakness in my application is the lack of leadership/experiences compared to other applicants. In my gap year, I plan on learning muay thai as a hobby, doing improv/communication club, and being a dental assistant.
One more. Explain how your plan addresses your perceived deficiencies?

One more. Explain how your plan addresses your perceived deficiencies?
To be honest, I'm using my gap year for self-improvement to learn and experience new things. I'm hoping that through these new experiences, I will be able to draw out more chances for leadership activity that I can talk about in interviews. Like I volunteer at the foodbank, I am a frequent volunteer so I was told to help the new volunteers what to do, etc. Its not a title, but that could be considered leadership. I'm hoping to increase those opportunities through new experiences.

As well as how much it will cost you to apply to 20-30 schools, attend interviews, and place deposits! You’d be looking close to ~8-10k
I agree with you 100%. I don't want to apply to that many schools and will not, its expensive! A lot of my family went to medical school and so that's why they told me apply to more schools but its a lot different from dental school. I try to explain that dental school is just too expensive and that I'd rather re-apply again then get accepted into a school that will give me life-long debt. I'm not so much concern of the temporary cost to apply but rather the future cost after school

I agree with you 100%. I don't want to apply to that many schools and will not, its expensive! A lot of my family went to medical school and so that's why they told me apply to more schools but its a lot different from dental school. I try to explain that dental school is just too expensive and that I'd rather re-apply again then get accepted into a school that will give me life-long debt. I'm not so much concern of the temporary cost to apply but rather the future cost after school
Smart, you’ve got it

Yeah, though even medical school applicants should not throw money at a problem... just because they have more schools doesn't mean a shotgun approach works better. It's expensive to run a dental school where you have your own clinic to run; medical schools rely on affiliated hospitals to do that.