WAMC -- Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_dr_18

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most likely schools will put your app on hold until your first semester grades are posted. (So yes, probably waiting would have been better, but can't do anything about that now) So that will sorta put you behind others in terms of interviews/acceptances. With 3 interviews last cycle and nothing to show, it could mean your interviews didn't wow admissions. Two things you should focus on: work extremely hard and do well in your master's program (you probably will have to finish the program even if you are accepted before it's over), and focus on interview prep if you can. Be able to maturely answer why you were unsuccessful last cycle, and what you've done to improve your application for this cycle. Would recommend picking up more volunteer hours, even if it isn't much, to show continued work with the underserved. Soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless shelter, etc are all good options that don't take a lot of time. They can be very fulfilling as well.

I would also see if your program offers any resources you can take advantage of.

Your school list has a lot of expensive schools, hopefully, you can get into the cheapest one. I don't think MOSDOH or Roseman takes many northeast residents so it might be a little bit of a long shot with those 2 schools. Did you reapply to the schools you interviewed with last cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
I would also see if your program offers any resources you can take advantage of.
What resources should I look into that will help me? Also I received Kira interviews for Roseman and NYU this cycle -- I know it doesn't mean much but it's a start!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What resources should I look into that will help me? Also I received Kira interviews for Roseman and NYU this cycle -- I know it doesn't mean much but it's a start!!
Interview prep would be a good one to look into, some schools have a pre-health student resource center that can provide mock interviews/feedback for you to use. Since your app is submitted I'd say that would be the most important one.

I believe it's a good sign for Roseman to receive Kira, I'm unsure about NYU since that's new for them this cycle. But it means you're moving along in the admissions process. Just make sure to do a little research on Kira so you can be as prepared as possible.

Date of submission: 6/12
Overall GPA: 3.25
Science GPA: 2.96
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.79
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
#1 (AA 19, PA 18, QR 21, RC 23, Bio 16, GC 16, OC 17, TS 16)
#2 (AA 20, PA 21, QR 19, RC 22, Bio 19, GC 19, OC 21, TS 20)
State of Residence: Vermont

Major: BS Biology '22
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes - applied late (end of august) last cycle. 3 interviews, 1 waitlist (UNE), accepted to Tufts PDND program but it was too expensive
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Shadowed with two oral surgeons who worked in the same practice (40hrs) and shadowed my dad who is a general dentist (250+ hours)
Volunteering Experience: Outreach center (delivered food/groceries to people unable to go to the food pantry, 20 hrs); volunteered at a therapeutic riding barn and helped with riding lessons for people with disabilities, 30hrs).
Employment: Worked as a dental assistant full-time for the past year (1200+ hours); General chemistry lab assistant senior year of undergrad (48 hours)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental club board member
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list for 2 semesters, presidential scholarship
LOR type and strength: 1 committee letter including 3 LORs from science professors; 1 LOR from one of the oral surgeons I shadowed
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: D in OChem 2 but I retook it after graduation and got an A-; C+ in OChem 1, C+ in Biochem, C in Cell bio. I am also worried because most of my dental experience has been with my dad and I don't think schools will like that. I also have very few volunteer hours/extracurriculars.

I am enrolled in a Master of Medical Science program for this year to improve my GPA, so I'm not sure if I should've waited to apply next cycle. Not planning on retaking the DAT. We don't have a dental school in VT, so unfortunately every school I applied to I was an out-of-state applicant.

School list:
MOSDOH
Boston U
LECOM
NYU
Case Western
Tufts
UNE
U of Tennessee
Roseman
Louisville
you should've applied to a lot more schools, both this year and last
if you had 3 interviews and only one WL, your interviewing skills were likely an issue too...

you should've applied to a lot more schools, both this year and last
if you had 3 interviews and only one WL, your interviewing skills were likely an issue too...
I applied to 20 schools last year. I knew this cycle would be a long shot again so I didn’t apply to as many, but tried to narrow it down to some schools that were more likely to accept my stats (?? maybe). I’m really just thinking I need to do well in my Master’s program and try again next year. I was accepted to Tufts but for the 5 year program so my interviews had to be decent for UNE and Tufts.

Didn’t see that, agreed. Schools don’t count shadowing with family
Wow I did not know that. I’ve been working for him for a year so that’s really disappointing news. I’ve learned so much from the experience so it’s hard for me to see how they can discount it.

Wow I did not know that. I’ve been working for him for a year so that’s really disappointing news. I’ve learned so much from the experience so it’s hard for me to see how they can discount it.
can't be helped now
main thing is you concentrate on getting as close to a 4.0 in your masters as you can
3.3-3.5 is not going to cut it at this point, IMO

and practice your interview skills in case you get any bites this cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
can't be helped now
main thing is you concentrate on getting as close to a 4.0 in your masters as you can
3.3-3.5 is not going to cut it at this point, IMO

and practice your interview skills in case you get any bites this cycle...
Well nothing I can do, I’m sure it will be fine. I’m willing to reapply again.

Everything else I’ve read said shadowing a family member was a good option, it’s not like he wrote me a LOR.
Where did you read this? Sure no one is going to say you shouldn't but for admissions purposes, we prefer you shadow someone not related to you. Nothing wrong saying you want to work with family, but... you should do work with others.

Perhaps the only programs that care are ones where you stand as a legacy. Many others might shy away from your file if they think you aren't going to attend their program.

wait, are you counting your work hours as shadowing?

Everything else I’ve read said shadowing a family member was a good option, it’s not like he wrote me a LOR.
I’m not sure where you read that. Quick google search for my program states:

Applicants are highly encouraged to complete more than 50 hours, shadow more than one dentist, and shadow in different practice settings. Additional observation in specialty practice is welcome, however, it is recommended that at least half of your shadowing hours are dedicated to general dentistry. Required shadowing hours need to occur outside of a parent’s dental practice.

I think this is to avoid some nepotism and give you experience outside of what’s comfortable to you. But regardless what’s done is done, can’t really change that.

I’m not sure where you read that. Quick google search for my program states:

Applicants are highly encouraged to complete more than 50 hours, shadow more than one dentist, and shadow in different practice settings. Additional observation in specialty practice is welcome, however, it is recommended that at least half of your shadowing hours are dedicated to general dentistry. Required shadowing hours need to occur outside of a parent’s dental practice.

I think this is to avoid some nepotism and give you experience outside of what’s comfortable to you. But regardless what’s done is done, can’t really change that.
True. I think my dental assisting hours hold more weight than my shadowing in my application. I will get more shadowing hours in the coming months though because I am moving and will shadow a new dentist. I also think as long as I have more than the minimum hours with a non family member it should be fine.

Last edited:
Where did you read this? Sure no one is going to say you shouldn't but for admissions purposes, we prefer you shadow someone not related to you. Nothing wrong saying you want to work with family, but... you should do work with others.

Perhaps the only programs that care are ones where you stand as a legacy. Many others might shy away from your file if they think you aren't going to attend their program.
I don’t think it’s bad to shadow a family member, but I think it’s the fact that most of my shadowing was with my dad. That’s on me, but I am going to shadow more this year anyways. I read a thread on sdn “I shadowed and worked with my Dad! Definitely include it! I only shadowed other specialties a hand full of hours. The bulk was with my father (GP). No one cared in my interviews!”

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s bad to shadow a family member, but I think it’s the fact that most of my shadowing was with my dad. That’s on me, but I am going to shadow more this year anyways. I read a thread on sdn “I shadowed and worked with my Dad! Definitely include it! I only shadowed other specialties a hand full of hours. The bulk was with my father (GP). No one cared in my interviews!”
adcoms want to make sure that your hours were not "fudged"
and it's always better to see the way different practices are run

Reactions: 2 users
i dont think adcom is going to like that u didn't follow the stated rules of not including hours done w a parent

i dont think adcom is going to like that u didn't follow the stated rules of not including hours done w a parent
It’s okay, I will get more hours. I didn’t see that rule stated for the schools I applied to, but I may be mistaken!

It’s okay, I will get more hours. I didn’t see that rule stated for the schools I applied to, but I may be mistaken!
Some have it on websites and some don’t, but for the most part they’d like to see you have some hours outside of family. just to get yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit and see how practices can do the same thing and still be different. Regardless, if you can get some more hours that will help but I don’t think it’s an absolutely massive red flag, but it may pique some interest

Some have it on websites and some don’t, but for the most part they’d like to see you have some hours outside of family. just to get yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit and see how practices can do the same thing and still be different. Regardless, if you can get some more hours that will help but I don’t think it’s an absolutely massive red flag, but it may pique some interest
I’ll definitely prepare to answer questions about it if I receive an interview. Thanks for your advice!

Many of us know many children will follow their parents as dentists. We cannot remove the fact that there are families with generations of dentists. Honestly, that's special, and while the conversation about legacy admissions often feels like it's "dirty," sometimes we forget how a family's impact on community comes from their role as dentists.

It only helps you to see your "competition" or your "colleagues." Technology is not the same. The spatial/architectural management of patients and records is not the same. Business plans are not the same. It only helps you to diversify your experience. I realized very early that shadowing one dentist or one clinic is only representative of that one dentist or clinic. Being open to learning from your peers is a very important characteristic for admission and subsequent professional development.