WAMC: IL ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muq

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Removed)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can add any of these schools to your application:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Columbia
Cornell
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Miami
USF Morsani
Kaiser

(removed)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I acknowledge that you have done a lot of community service with Hispanic and South Asian people. The problem I have is that your work is still very clinic-adjacent and both related to the pandemic.
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 490 hours
450 hours COVID-19 health educator + screener (Educated underserved Hispanic/SouthAsian immigrant communities within Chicago),
40 hours vaccination distribution center volunteer (helped transform local gym into vaccination site + verified appointments)
Is there any other community service that is not associated with health or teaching/tutoring? Service orientation activities should also include being in positions where you are comfortable being uncomfortable and not as a subject matter expert. This includes food distribution, shelter work, job/tax preparation services, housing rehabilitation, and non-clinical transportation services. The number of hours you have may not be enough for service-focused institutions like Rush or Loyola, though being familiar with resources in south Chicago, you may get some slack.

I would certainly consider Carle if you have taken their required quantitative coursework, which I suspect you have.

We will see how PREview factors in your process, so keep us in the loop as decisions are made (or if you get ghosted).

I acknowledge that you have done a lot of community service with Hispanic and South Asian people. The problem I have is that your work is still very clinic-adjacent and both related to the pandemic.

Is there any other community service that is not associated with health or teaching/tutoring? Service orientation activities should also include being in positions where you are comfortable being uncomfortable and not as a subject matter expert. This includes food distribution, shelter work, job/tax preparation services, housing rehabilitation, and non-clinical transportation services. The number of hours you have may not be enough for service-focused institutions like Rush or Loyola, though being familiar with resources in south Chicago, you may get some slack.

I would certainly consider Carle if you have taken their required quantitative coursework, which I suspect you have.

We will see how PREview factors in your process, so keep us in the loop as decisions are made (or if you get ghosted).
Tbh I don’t really have anything else similar to what you’ve mentioned, I’ve always thought the non clinical volunteering (although clinical adjacent) would be sufficient. Outside of this, do you have any school recommendations?

@Goro can I get your advice as well before I finalize my list?

@Goro can I get your advice as well before I finalize my list?
Sure! I suggest bulking up the nonclinical ECs (as in service to others less fortunate than yourself) in the mean time, and check out these schools:

Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Harvard
Mayo
Northwestern
U Chicago
U VA
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
Case
Hofstra
Stanford
Baylor
BU
Pitt
Sinai
U MI
USF Morsani
UTSW
Brown
Rochester
SUNY-SB
USC/Keck
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
NYMC
Ohio State
U Cincy
U IA
U MA
UCSF
Creighton
Gtown
Hackensack Meridian
Jefferson
Miami
NYU-LI
SLU
Tufts
U CO
U VM
UCF
UCLA
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
VCU
Western MI
Your state school(s),including UI-Carle. Include SIU IF you're from southern ILL
Yes, it's a long list. Your job is to cull it down, based upon your needs/interests.