WAMC? Immigrant to the US after high school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AroraS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received my MCAT score yesterday, and it pretty much destroyed my hopes of getting into a decent medical school this cycle. I have a unique background in that I migrated to the US right before college, and to adapt to the system and smoothen the cultural transition, started off at a community college. In the small community college, I got no guidance about the process to get in (I didn't know about sdn and reddit until second semester junior year). And I couldn't build any ECs during that time because everyone told me all I needed to do was keep up my grades (as it worked back home). Anyways, graduated from the CC with Associates in Science (4.0) in 1.5 years. Then transferred to top 5 public university. I'm graduating after this summer, and this is how my application currently looks:

State of Residence: NC
GPA: Community College 4.0, Uni: 3.82
MCAT: 132/124/130/127
Clinical Volunteering: ~150 hours in 3 different hospital units (Burn ICU being one of my most meaningful experiences); currently I'm doing 6 hours a week and I'm going to continue these over the gap year).
Non Clinical Volunteering: ~70 hours in a refugee serving organization (also had a leadership position with them), >100 hours of teaching extremely underserved girls to read and write (this was my initiative during high school outside of the US).
Shadowing: 56 hours in two specialities.
Research: 760 hours over 1 year at one of the NIH institutions (two great letters from a PI and a staff scientist there), presentations (part of my program): oral, poster, symposium (won an honorable mention in the 3-minute oral presentation) - a possible publication as co-author later this year (doesn't seem to be coming before secondaries go in).
Work Experience: Cashier/manager at a convenience store (2.5 years).
Teaching: peer mentor for Organic Chemistry only 1 semester.
Miscellaneous: Leadership position at the CC honor society, and 20 other patched hours of non clinical volunteers.
Immediate family in medicine: N (No woman in my entire family except me has ever tried to pursue a career - all of them are homemakers).

My big concerns: 1. extremely low CARS will probably get me screened at a lot of schools - I can possibly explain it with English being my third language, but this is a really common excuse and I was getting 127-128 in the FLs, just bombed the real one.
2. My ECs are squeezed into only the last 3 semesters of undergrad - might work against me.

I don't have a school list yet because I'm not sure if I should apply or not.
Any advice or suggestions about whether I should apply this cycle or take another gap year to retake the MCAT and keep working on my ECs are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your total MCAT score of 513 is fine for many MD schools.
You could receive interviews at any of these schools with your stats so apply to all of them:
East Carolina
University North Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont
NOVA MD
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
California University (new school)
Which country or region did you emigrate from ?

Agree with above except maybe scratch Duke. Unlikely they'll give you a look with your MCAT. Your research background suggests that adding Case Western could be a good idea too.