WAMC: LOW GPA | 510 MCAT | DO | School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for help with my school list -- additions or schools to take off my school list for the upcoming DO application cycle.

Non-trad. Multi-racial
Disadvantaged status.
Washington resident.
cPGA: 3.16
sGPA: 3.17
MCAT: 510 (127 / 125 / 129 / 129)

pre-reqs are mostly A's, and some B's, but I have some pretty bad grades from other courses. The no grade replacement change hit me pretty hard.

Paid EC's:
~ 3500 hours scribing with DO (primary care)
~ 400 hours scribing with MDs (specialty)

Non-paid EC's:
~ 80 hours volunteering in underserved community.
~ 50 hours volunteering/community engagement in underserved community
~ 40 hours volunteering in hospital
~ 150 hours involvement in a college student organization for a minority/underserved group/community.
~ 400 hours volunteer sports coach

Shadowing:
~ 40 hours additional shadowing. (specialties)

Tentative List:
PNWU
CCOM
AZCOM
PCOM
ATSU - AZ
WESTERNU - OR
RVUCOM
NSU
PCOM - GA
DMU
WesternU - CA
TOUROCOM
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
UNECOM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - E

----

I was debating SMPs; however, I think I would prefer to avoid the cost of a SMP. This year I plan to continue working as a scribe, continue my volunteering, shadowing additional docs, make some $ (maybe get a new car), and go have some fun! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
MCAT 510 is in your favor and you will land acceptance somewhere if you don't mess up your interview. Your gpa is above 3.0 so you should be ok. Get DO LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
add ACOM. they interviewed me with nearly identical stats, less multiracial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to more schools as backups. I had your exact stats with a 511 mcat and got 9 interview invites all from DO schools towards middle to bottom of pack. Better safe than sorry. What’s an extra few hundred dollars at the end of 4 years of med school

As far as DO schools go your list is very top heavy

I applied to all but a few DO schools

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT 510 is in your favor and you will land acceptance somewhere if you don't mess up your interview. Your gpa is above 3.0 so you should be ok. Get DO LOR.

I have a very strong DO LOR!!! :)

I suggest:

PNWU
PCOM
ATSU - AZ
WESTERNU - OR
RVUCOM
PCOM - GA
DMU
WesternU - CA
TUNCOM
UNECOM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - E

ADD:
ARCOM
BCOM
UIW
MUCOM
all three VCOMs
NYITCOM-AR
NYITCOM
LMU

add ACOM. they interviewed me with nearly identical stats, less multiracial.

doesn't ACOM have a strong southern bias?

I suggest:

PNWU
PCOM
ATSU - AZ
WESTERNU - OR
RVUCOM
PCOM - GA
DMU
WesternU - CA
TUNCOM
UNECOM
LECOM - Bradenton
LECOM - E

ADD:
ARCOM
BCOM
UIW
MUCOM
all three VCOMs
NYITCOM-AR
NYITCOM
LMU

Thanks @Goro for this list!!! I will consider this more in depth.

I thought the VCOMs have a cut off at 3.2 gpa, which is why I didn't add any to my list.

Any reason why you did not recommend CCOM & AZCOM for me?

I think I recall that you generally do not recommend: TOURO- NY, TOURO- CA, & NSU.

I thought the VCOMs have a cut off at 3.2 gpa, which is why I didn't add any to my list.

I think I recall that you generally do not recommend: TOURO- NY, TOURO- CA, & NSU.
Touro-CA is fine. I have issues with the other two schools.
I suspect that your GPAs will be too low for CCOM and AZCOM, but you'll have to double check.

I had slightly higher but similar stats and was accepted to CUSOM. Could add that to the list.

Edit - silly me forgot the 3.2 gpa requirement. Disregard.

I had slightly higher but similar stats and was accepted to CUSOM. Could add that to the list.

Edit - silly me forgot the 3.2 gpa requirement. Disregard.

how many schools did you apply to? how many interviews did you get? and acceptances? are u heading to CUSOM?

Apply to more schools as backups. I had your exact stats with a 511 mcat and got 9 interview invites all from DO schools towards middle to bottom of pack. Better safe than sorry. What’s an extra few hundred dollars at the end of 4 years of med school

As far as DO schools go your list is very top heavy

I applied to all but a few DO schools

how many interviews did you attend? did you get a few acceptances?

how many interviews did you attend? did you get a few acceptances?

I applied later than I should have (complete like October/November most places - don't recommend this obviously), got 3 late II's (February) that I knew were all for waitlist spots prior to the interview. Got waitlisted at all three and only off the waitlist at CUSOM.

If you're interested, it might be worth throwing an app to KCU. Their official GPA cutoff is a 3.25, but I've seen them extend interviews/acceptances to people below that cutoff if they had higher MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're interested, it might be worth throwing an app to KCU. Their official GPA cutoff is a 3.25, but I've seen them extend interviews/acceptances to people below that cutoff if they had higher MCATs.
Second that, I had a 3.1 and received an interview at KCU.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd apply broadly OP.. but keep in mind to only apply to DO schools that you'd actually attend. Do your research beforehand.

Anecdotal, but my GPA and MCAT were higher than yours, and I got three interviews and three DO acceptances, two at original 5 schools. Was rejected from the other 11 or so I applied to. A higher MCAT won't totally make a lower GPA okay. Apply broadly to be safe. ACOM, and other new programs seem really solid.

Yes, my cGPA was under and I was interviewed and accepted with a 515 MCAT

Last edited:

Yes - no VCOM for you, as they prefer high GPA's

Just out of curiosity, did you do a post bacc? I have similar stats as you minus the MCAT (havent taken it yet). Im currently about to embark on a 30+ credit DIY post bacc and I will be applying next cycle.