WAMC? Low GPA, Average DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boardkat

Reaction score
Date of submission: Early June submitted with an 18 AA but took my DAT again in early July and verified mid July for 20 AA
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.3
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Attempt 1: 18 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT, 17 QR, 20 GC, 17 BIO, 19 ORGO, 17 RC
Attempt 2: 20 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT, 20 QR, 22 GC, 19 BIO, 19 ORGO, 18 RC (<-- ew)
State of Residence: Massachusetts

Undergrad Attended: Top 25
Major: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? In the middle of my 2nd gap year now

Shadowing Experience: 200 hrs of general shadowing
Volunteering Experience: SAT Tutoring for high school kids, working with grade school children organizing activities and helping with homework (my weakest part of application + low GPA), volunteer research
Employment: Currently a research assistant at a top research hospital full time and dental assistant part time, worked as a scribe for a year, worked on-campus gym job
Research: Hours and type; any publications or presentations? How many?
Animal research for ~1000 hours w/ 2 poster presentations
Currently working as a research assistant full time (worked for a year at this point), no publications for this but there is potential
Other Extracurriculars: science journal club at my undergrad, social justice club, health/wellness coaching for college students
Relevant Honors or Awards: 2 poster presentations
LOR type and strength: strong/good
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: n/a
School list:
BU, Tufts, UPenn, Temple, Pitt, Maryland, Buffalo, Rutgers, New England, USC, NYU, Touro, Roseman, Case Western, UConn

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Early June submitted with an 18 AA but took my DAT again in early July and verified mid July for 20 AA
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.3
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Attempt 1: 18 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT, 17 QR, 20 GC, 17 BIO, 19 ORGO, 17 RC
Attempt 2: 20 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT, 20 QR, 22 GC, 19 BIO, 19 ORGO, 18 RC (<-- ew)
State of Residence: Massachusetts

Undergrad Attended: Top 25
Major: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? In the middle of my 2nd gap year now

Shadowing Experience: 200 hrs of general shadowing
Volunteering Experience: SAT Tutoring for high school kids, working with grade school children organizing activities and helping with homework (my weakest part of application + low GPA), volunteer research
Employment: Currently a research assistant at a top research hospital full time and dental assistant part time, worked as a scribe for a year, worked on-campus gym job
Research: Hours and type; any publications or presentations? How many?
Animal research for ~1000 hours w/ 2 poster presentations
Currently working as a research assistant full time (worked for a year at this point), no publications for this but there is potential
Other Extracurriculars: science journal club at my undergrad, social justice club, health/wellness coaching for college students
Relevant Honors or Awards: 2 poster presentations
LOR type and strength: strong/good
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: n/a
School list:
BU, Tufts, UPenn, Temple, Pitt, Maryland, Buffalo, Rutgers, New England, USC, NYU, Touro, Roseman, Case Western, UConn
congrats on the DAT improvement
your list is broad and not too top heavy (only upenn and uconn are reaches)
what have you done in your gap years besides the DAT retake?

Do you have actual community service? SAT and homework tutoring is okay, but something else that is more conventional showing service to others in need would really help your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the DAT improvement
your list is broad and not too top heavy (only upenn and uconn are reaches)
what have you done in your gap years besides the DAT retake?
thank you! i really haven’t done anything except work full time and even working on weekends as well. i didnt start studying for the dat until after graduation so ive been entirely studying and working. now that i’m basically done with studying for now, i just have the same routine minus the studying

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have actual community service? SAT and homework tutoring is okay, but something else that is more conventional showing service to others in need would really help your application.
i do community service related activities with my full time clinical research job right now if that counts? without going into too much detail for the sake of privacy, sometimes i would go to community centers, schools, libraries, etc to educate a certain group of people about a current health issue and provide resources for them. i should also note that the SAT tutoring is only targeted towards low income/first gen students whose families dont have the resources to enroll them into prep programs

Reactions: 1 users