WAMC low gpa but steady increase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aubm713

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to: Definitely VAMD (instate), Thinking of ISU, UMN, MSU, Western, LMU (bc of emphasis on last 45 or lower average gpa) also CSU bc I like their program and the area but Idk if I have a chance. Open to anywhere you think I'd be a good candidate for though.

Cumulative GPA: 3.10
science GPA: Not really sure how to calculate this would love advice on that probably ~3.0-3.2
last 45: either 3.1 or 3.3 I did a study abroad and retake so if those are counted and grade isn't averaged it more towards 3.3 my last 2 semesters were my best at about 3.4and 3.5

Any degrees achieved: BS Biology, Pre-vet minor expected Spring ‘21

GRE results: Q/V/W- haven't taken yet preparing but still deciding since a lot of schools are not looking at them rn

Veterinary Experience:
- ~2000-3000 hrs vet assistant at small animal hospital we're starting to see exotics but don't have a ton yet. ( 2 different since I was 15 large range because I haven't fully calculated from the first clinic yet) went from kennels to assistant now doing things like drawing blood and assisting in surgery
- 3 hrs Equine clinic lab
- 4 hrs prevet symposium labs
-3 hrs TNR clinic

Animal Experience:
- 1000 hrs kennel worker at boarding place
-30 hrs volunteering at Therapeutic riding barn
- 40 hrs barn worker with horses owned by 2 vets
- 10 hrs riding lessons with one of the vets that owned the barn

Research Experience: 90hrs research with lemurs most was spent doing data analysis on the computer but had one day we went and did data collection. Was supposed to do more but was cut short with COVID. We also did poster that was going to be at our schools symposium.

Awards/scholarships:
- Most Active Member Pre-vet society
- Deans list last semester

Extracurriculars:
- Pre- Vet Society I was elected treasurer for next year I'm not entirely sure how to indicate this though
- BBB bio honors frat
- Vegetarian/ Vegan club
HS
-Varsity LAX 2x state champions
- Theater + plus directed my own show
- National Honors Society
- Science National Honors society

Employment:
- Pretty much all my employment falls under animal or vet experience

Letter of Recommendations:
- Head vet at clinic I work at knows me really well Ik will write a good letter
- Professor who is also my research advisor
or
- Professor who I went on a study abroad trip with (Ik study abroad prof from summer but haven't taken a "real" class with her Ik RA from this past semester
- Practice Manager ( would be from same practice but I haven't stayed in touch with other employers except could maybe do vet whose barn I work at but I've only known her since October)

Summarize any concerns you have
- Idk how or where to put study abroad course I did we went to India toured a vet school campus and did lots of things vet related some large animal and exotics related which I don't have much of all under supervision of foreign-trained vets
- I'm definitely applying to VAMD this year but should I bother applying to other schools? I think my last 45 will be much better next year
- I have struggled with anxiety depression and ADHD ( all diagnosed and previously medicated for although I don't really take meds now I have other ways to deal now and I didn't like side effects), I've learned to cope better which has lead to a steady increase in my GPA will a good explanation statement help enough to make up for my GPA?
- How are last 45 and science GPA's usually calculated? Are summer courses considered? And if you retake a class outside the last 45 (like I got a D freshman year retook it and got an A this past semester) will those grades still be averaged together?
-Are there any other schools that seem like a good match for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to VMCVM as a non-resident with a 3.06 cumulative GPA so your odds are way better than mine were! 55% of their initial review is based on academics; specifically cumulative GPA, prerequisite GPA, and last 45 credits GPA. I believe prerequisite GPA includes the non-science prereqs (but don’t quote me on that). So it would be calculated using 2 semesters of general biology, 1 semester of organic chemistry, 2 semesters of physics, biochemistry, 2 semesters of English, 2 semesters of math, 2 semesters of humanities/social sciences, and medical terminology. I would calculate that GPA and see where you’re at. I think my prereq GPA was 3.6-3.7ish and my last 45 was a 4.0. The remaining 45% is based on experience, LORs, essays, animal/research/work experience, and now the CASPer.

I’ve heard that they really value the resiliency essay and given your history with anxiety, depression, and ADHD, you should be able to write a strong one. If you talk about that struggle, the things you’ve done to manage, and what you do today to stay mentally healthy, you should theoretically be in good shape there. I think it would be appropriate to discuss your upward trend in grades here as evidence of your mental health management skills. I’m not sure if your academics are quite strong enough to get you past the initial ranking but applying the following year with a higher last 45 may be enough to get you there. Also continue working to diversify your vet experiences after you submit your app so you’ll have new content to add to next cycle’s app if needed. VMCVM also seems to really value unique experiences so continue with the lemur stuff if you can and/or hop onto any other opportunities that come your way.

Anyway, I’m not sure if I would personally spend the money applying to a bunch of schools unless I felt my application was a solid as it was going to get. But that’s a very personal decision. On the up side, if you do apply to a bunch and are rejected, you can get feedback from multiple schools :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would personally advise against applying to CSU since they do special review for those under 3.2 + competitiveness of OOS pool https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/.../6/2019/06/dvm-phased-admissions-process1.pdf
K state would be one you might look into as they also focus more on last 45 I believe.

Idk how or where to put study abroad course I did we went to India toured a vet school campus and did lots of things vet related some large animal and exotics related which I don't have much of all under supervision of foreign-trained vets
This is usually listed in your transcript portion which you'll have to contact VMCAS about because there's 2 different ways to include that. As far as the experience portion you can list it, but just be mindful some schools don't count that since it was a class.
- I'm definitely applying to VAMD this year but should I bother applying to other schools? I think my last 45 will be much better next year.
I think ISU and KState and any others with a last 45/36 emphasis would be worth applying to.
- How are last 45 and science GPA's usually calculated? Are summer courses considered? And if you retake a class outside the last 45 (like I got a D freshman year retook it and got an A this past semester) will those grades still be averaged together?
last 45 is literally the last ~45 credit hours of class you have been in and the grades for those. Doesn't matter when taken. Each school calculates sGPA differently on what courses they include so you'd have to reach out to them individually. So for your last question it depends on the school. Some do grade replacement while others average and it'd be best to contact the schools directly.