WAMC- Low GPA, Decent experience, 1st time traditional app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackfrost21

LMU CVM c/o 2025
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
HI!! 2025 hopeful here. I'm IS in Oklahoma.

So far I'm planning to apply to: Ok State, Tenn, LMU, K State, Iowa, Mizzou, and Purdue (+ or - recommendations)

GPA: 3.39
Last 45 GPA: 3.4 (I had an upward trend this last year but not so much in spring 2019)

GRE: V: 149, Q:152, AW: not graded yet
-I think I'm going to take it again to improve the verbal score at the least. I did not study vocab enough and could have done much better with some vocab practice. Thoughts?

Veterinary Experience
-1650 SA Emergency (Which I've listed as my goal career in essays), worked my way up from reception, to kennel tech, to veterinary assistant
400 SA General practice/Exotics- kennel tech
200 Equine- externship
-10 hours shadowing spays and neuters so I could watch not on clock

Animal Experience
-300 Humane Society- paid, animal caretaker
-500 kitten bottle feeder (volunteer on a regular basis)
Had exotic pets, pet sitting, etc.
-Volunteer work at microchipping event (
-Volunteering at a birthing center

Research: 40 Hours in Food Microbiology
began working in the lab just before getting sent home for COVID-19- will be returning this semester

I have no super noteworthy awards and extracurricular beside honor roll, pre-vet club, honor society, etc.

LORS: 2 Veterinarians and 1 Professor
I was hesitant to ask any more of my mentors for letters because I know these letters will be STRONG and I don't want to run the risk of the committee not reading these 3 specifically. The other ones would have been great but these are the veterinarians I am closest with, one being board-certified and also my employer.

I'm working VERY hard to make sure my essays do some groundwork for me in this application process. I'm very adamant about them standing out.

My goal is ER as well! You’ve got tons of hours in the field you want to be in which I think is great. You also have a little of each experience making you well rounded. I’m applying to Iowa, Mizzou and Purdue as well! I would look at the schools that require the GRE and see what their ave GRE and GPA is.

HI!! 2025 hopeful here. I'm IS in Oklahoma.

So far I'm planning to apply to: Ok State, Tenn, LMU, K State, Iowa, Mizzou, and Purdue (+ or - recommendations)

GPA: 3.39
Last 45 GPA: 3.4 (I had an upward trend this last year but not so much in spring 2019)

GRE: V: 149, Q:152, AW: not graded yet
-I think I'm going to take it again to improve the verbal score at the least. I did not study vocab enough and could have done much better with some vocab practice. Thoughts?

Veterinary Experience
-1650 SA Emergency (Which I've listed as my goal career in essays), worked my way up from reception, to kennel tech, to veterinary assistant
400 SA General practice/Exotics- kennel tech
200 Equine- externship
-10 hours shadowing spays and neuters so I could watch not on clock

Animal Experience
-300 Humane Society- paid, animal caretaker
-500 kitten bottle feeder (volunteer on a regular basis)
Had exotic pets, pet sitting, etc.
-Volunteer work at microchipping event (
-Volunteering at a birthing center

Research: 40 Hours in Food Microbiology
began working in the lab just before getting sent home for COVID-19- will be returning this semester

I have no super noteworthy awards and extracurricular beside honor roll, pre-vet club, honor society, etc.

LORS: 2 Veterinarians and 1 Professor
I was hesitant to ask any more of my mentors for letters because I know these letters will be STRONG and I don't want to run the risk of the committee not reading these 3 specifically. The other ones would have been great but these are the veterinarians I am closest with, one being board-certified and also my employer.

I'm working VERY hard to make sure my essays do some groundwork for me in this application process. I'm very adamant about them standing out.
Is the GPA you listed your cumulative or your science?

I'm assuming the first GPA is your cumulative and, if so, what is your science GPA?

Looks like you have a decent chance of at least getting an interview with Mizzou. I had similar grades and veterinary hours (number and variety) and I got in there. They are also a good school to apply to as they take about 50% of the class from the in state pool of applicants and 50% from the out of state, so essentially you are not competing against all applicants, but rather against other out of state for one of those spots.