WAMC?: Low GPA/High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VorianAtreides

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit late in the cycle, since I've done most of my secondaries, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

CA resident, and Asian.

BCPM GPA: 2.96
AO GPA: 3.00
cGPA: 2.97

Partied way too much freshman year (joined Greek life), and transferring colleges was rough, so my GPA is trash. I've got an upwards trend though:
Fresh: 2.70
Soph: 2.45
Junior: 2.97
Senior: 3.28
PostBacc: 3.5

I did both my postbacc and undergrad at Cornell University, but my freshman year was spent at the University of Rochester.

MCAT: 516
B/B: 131
CARS: 128
C/P: 131
PSY: 126

I have decent clinical experiences (EMS/Hospital work at UCLA), and I spent a two summers doing marine bio research. Also spent a summer working in Singapore at a private Swiss bank. Unfortunately minimal community service experience though, only having participated in my fraternity's philanthropic projects.

I'm interviewing for the UQ-Ochsner program, and am on the wait list for an interview at MWU AZCOM. I've also completed secondaries for about 34 DO and MD schools thus far.

What do y'all think my chances are of at least one acceptance for this cycle? Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which MD and DO schools did you apply to? Where is your state of residence?

California resident.

DO Schools: NYITCOM, MWU (AZCOM and CCOM), LECOM (Erie and Bradenton), PCOM (PA and GA locations), Western, COMP

MD Schools: FIU, Rosalind Franklin, Stony Brook, Wayne State, Rutgers (RWJMS and NJMS), SUNY Downstate, Weill Cornell (alma mater, couldn't resist), GWU, Creighton, Buffalo, UoR, CalNorthstate, MSU, USC, NYMC, Drexel, Albany, SUNY Upstate, BU, Tulane, Colorado, Harvard, UC Riverside

IMG Schools: UQ-Ochsner

These are the ones i've completed secondaries for - I'm still writing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
State public schools, including Rutgers, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Upstate, MSU, Colorado, Wayne State, and FIU do not accept non residents with your GPA. Cornell, Harvard, BU and USC are unrealistic far reaches. You should concentrate on your DO application and add many more schools such as:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah

Sadly Rutgers and the SUNYs are a waste because they prefer their in state applicants but since you did the secondary I wish you luck there. As for the other school I would focus just on DO schools don't waste money on MD schools this cycle. Sadly (not really but you get my point) MD schools look for only two things GPA and MCAT your MCAT is there and the GPA isn't they only look so far for trends before they just reject and I have met many people who have been rejected because their upward trend just wan't enough. Like I said keep pushing with the DO programs you'll be happier sitting with an acceptance and less wasted money.

I have met many people who have been rejected because their upward trend just wan't enough.
what gpa should you have for adcom to say the upward trend is enough to suffice with a mcat like that?

I believe people like goro and gyngyn have said you need several semesters of stellar grades like 3.5 or above @Goro can weight in better but I would think that should be attainable to show commitment and ability to do medical school coursework

I believe people like goro and gyngyn have said you need several semesters of stellar grades like 3.5 or above @Goro can weight in better but I would think that should be attainable to show commitment and ability to do medical school coursework
Successful SDNers have been successful with a solid year of 3.7+ GPA for the MD schools that reward reinvention (Harvard is not one them). A 3.5 should be good enough for most DO schools.

Bit late in the cycle, since I've done most of my secondaries, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

CA resident, and Asian.

BCPM GPA: 2.96
AO GPA: 3.00
cGPA: 2.97

Partied way too much freshman year (joined Greek life), and transferring colleges was rough, so my GPA is trash. I've got an upwards trend though:
Fresh: 2.70
Soph: 2.45
Junior: 2.97
Senior: 3.28
PostBacc: 3.5

I did both my postbacc and undergrad at Cornell University, but my freshman year was spent at the University of Rochester.

MCAT: 516
B/B: 131
CARS: 128
C/P: 131
PSY: 126

I have decent clinical experiences (EMS/Hospital work at UCLA), and I spent a two summers doing marine bio research. Also spent a summer working in Singapore at a private Swiss bank. Unfortunately minimal community service experience though, only having participated in my fraternity's philanthropic projects.

I'm interviewing for the UQ-Ochsner program, and am on the wait list for an interview at MWU AZCOM. I've also completed secondaries for about 34 DO and MD schools thus far.

What do y'all think my chances are of at least one acceptance for this cycle? Thanks for the input!

just curious, how did you manage to transfer to Cornell when you had a 2.7 gpa freshman year at Rochester?

just curious, how did you manage to transfer to Cornell when you had a 2.7 gpa freshman year at Rochester?

Guaranteed transfer option extended from Cornell in my senior year of high school; it was conditional upon achieving a 3.5 in my freshman year at any university, so I think they loosened their requirements.

They actually initially rescinded the offer, but once I appealed/agreed to retake courses (calc II) during the summer, they allowed me to transfer.

You
Successful SDNers have been successful with a solid year of 3.7+ GPA for the MD schools that reward reinvention (Harvard is not one them). A 3.5 should be good enough for most DO schools.
Some said that two years of good GPA were needed if you were a DIY postbacc student; perhaps ECs or compelling story could grant leeway.