WAMC/Low Stat/Research Heavy/Non Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FPVRay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA: 3.36, sGPA: 3.1, Masters in Science: 3.7
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts. 2022 scores: 493 =125/121/123/124. 2024 scores: 488 =123/118/123/124
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): PA.
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian.
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Public school 4 years and Masters 2 years (not a SMP)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1500 hours scribing.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1 first author and 12 co-authors (Nature med, Sci Cell, NEJM).
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 200 hours. (Family DO and MD, EM, Radiology, Optho, General Surgery, Oncology, Neurology).
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours syringe sharing program.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Freelance photography and Powerlifting (Nationally ranked).
  11. Relevant honors or awards: None
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:

I cant stomach taking the MCAT again. Non-trad with a full time job in academic research.

I know most schools will screen me out. Are there any new DO schools that might give me a chance or any current DO schools. I was also looking into SMP straight into an acceptance into their DO programs (Touro- COM).

Been my life dream trying to pursue this dream. Greatly appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
DO schools will not consider you with a MCAT of 488 and 493. You need to do some serious studying to retake the MCAT. Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently 500+.

Reactions: 2 users
Your research is impressive but your stats alone will disqualify you from basically every school in the nation. It’s the hard truth but you definitely need to retake the MCAT if you want a shot at medical school, not just for admissions but also to prove to yourself you can handle med school academically (which isn’t easy at all even for people who had like 4.0/523’s)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your research is impressive but your stats alone will disqualify you from basically every school in the nation. It’s the hard truth but you definitely need to retake the MCAT if you want a shot at medical school
Appreciate it. Yes the MCAT is the last piece of the puzzle I’ve been struggling with. Currently getting professional help.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure about podiatry as an option, but you can ask! I'm sorry, but you may want to stay on your current course or consider other options. Don't even ingratiate yourself to predatory for-profit schools outside the United States. If your masters is a research-based degree, go for PhD.

Alternatively, you should look at PA or adjacent careers (anesth assistant, surg assistant, path assistant). They may not care about your MCAT as a requirement.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not even sure about podiatry as an option, but you can ask! I'm sorry, but you may want to stay on your current course or consider other options. Don't even ingratiate yourself to predatory for-profit schools outside the United States. If your masters is a research-based degree, go for PhD.

Alternatively, you should look at PA or adjacent careers (anesth assistant, surg assistant, path assistant). They may not care about your MCAT as a requirement.
Thanks. After working in research for a decade it’s not my calling. Seen friend endure their PhD and def deter me away from it. I was looking at other career options like PA school. My only issue is like you mention the MCAT and if they would consider my scribing hours as direct patient contact.

Thanks. After working in research for a decade it’s not my calling. Seen friend endure their PhD and def deter me away from it. I was looking at other career options like PA school. My only issue is like you mention the MCAT and if they would consider my scribing hours as direct patient contact.
One of the challenges is that PA schools do not always have a general consensus when it comes to requirements, so it's easy to self-exclude from a subset of the 300 programs we know about without knowing. I think most programs will consider scribing PCE, but some are insane when it comes to threshold number of hours.

One of the challenges is that PA schools do not always have a general consensus when it comes to requirements, so it's easy to self-exclude from a subset of the 300 programs we know about without knowing. I think most programs will consider scribing PCE, but some are insane when it comes to threshold number of hours.
Thanks. I'll keep an open mind and do some research. The only reason I mention this is because on of my friend recently completed PA school (from my master cohort) and she had to take a whole year off to get an EMT certification with hours.

Thanks. I'll keep an open mind and do some research. The only reason I mention this is because on of my friend recently completed PA school (from my master cohort) and she had to take a whole year off to get an EMT certification with hours.
Yeah, and another school may be fine with EMT. It's crazy.

DO schools will not consider you with a MCAT of 488 and 493. You need to do some serious studying to retake the MCAT. Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently 500+.
Would a SMP to direct acceptance (TouroCOM - Montana) be an option? I reached out and they said that my MCAT hits the requirement. I do have a Masters but it was more so a tradition research masters.

Would a SMP to direct acceptance (TouroCOM - Montana) be an option? I reached out and they said that my MCAT hits the requirement. I do have a Masters but it was more so a tradition research masters.
They are one of the newest schools, and anything to help them secure a class or money, you could see. Ask about financial aid though.