WAMC-lower GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmgh1019

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently about to complete my undergraduate degree with a bachelors in biology and a minor in psychology. My academic record is completely the best: I have a nine C's (in gen chem, a psychology class, and calculus), first time i took calculus I got a D (second time I took it i got a C), first time I took microbiology I got a D (second time I took it i got a B+), I got a D+ in both organic chemistry 1 + 2, and four W's, I have taken gen chem 1 twice, taken genetics three times (first time dropped, second time got a D, and am aiming for an A this time), taken cell bio twice (dropped it my first time and got a B+ my second time). When reviewing my unofficial transcript I see an upward trend in my grades. Throughout my undergraduate degree I struggled a lot with depression my first semester, I moved ten hours away from home and it was extremely hard for me to make friends at my university. My second year at this school I had a lot happen in my life at that time, my stepfather and grandfather both passed away in the same year..it was my first time experiencing a death so close to me I really didn't know how to cope. After that my father n law had a major heart attack and underwent a major surgery where he needed five bypasses done. I guess it was hard for me to admit at first, but I was probably very immature and did not take things seriously in the beginning.

I started the Pre-veterinary club that recruited over 30 members and hosts several guest speakers. I also served as the president of the club for two years and the social media director for one year. I am also a member of Tri-Beta and the National Honor Society of Leadership and Success.

My cumulative GPA is a 3.018, I finished my last semester with a 3.9 GPA, and my last 45 gpa is 3.1 (I am not sure what my science GPA is). I have over 1300 hours of veterinary guided experience (a mix of small animal, large animals, and exotics), 500 hours of animal experience (working on a farm with ponies and working at an animal rescue). My veterinary guided experience will be way over 2000 by the time that I apply (which is probably gonna be next cycle).I completed a pre-vet internship in South Africa. I am also going to be starting another internship at a small animal hospital next month. I do have SOME research experience but I was more of a research assistant, but the job was still a lot of fun! I gained 100 hours of psychology research studying innate timing in leopard geckos and I have about 50 hours of Bull shark research. During the shark research we were basically capturing and then implanting GPS trackers.

For awhile I was up in the air about what to do, my first option was to: 1.) go for a masters and absolutely prove that I can handle the upper level classes (which I know I can) or 2.) just not apply this cycle, work towards gaining more hours, retake both organic chemistries (which I probably have to do anyway regardless if I do a masters or not) & also take biochemistry (because I know most of the schools I want to go to require it).

Now I don't want to completely give up my chances of going to veterinary school because I have read so many success stories of people getting into school with a GPA lower then mine. The first veterinarian I actually shadowed had a 2.8, but she did study at Ross (nothing wrong with that just $$$$$). I am a first generation college student so this is a total rollercoaster for me as I have been doing this by myself, so I am to absolutely any advice. Thank you in advice for reading my story!

Members don't see this ad.

I had multiple acceptances with a 3.06 cumulative GPA, but my original degree was in an unrelated field, I didn’t need to repeat any prereqs, and my last 45 GPA was a 4.0. I suspect you’ll need to put some distance between your poor grades and your application cycle and own the circumstances that caused those grades via the explanation statement. Seeing as though you’ve had to repeat many of your prereqs, I imagine adcoms will want to see that you can do well the first time you’ve taken a class since you can’t really repeat classes in vet school. If I were in your shoes I would either take upper division biology courses that you haven’t taken as a post-bacc student or pursue a masters in an interesting field (to you) and work my butt off to do well. I think this would show adcoms that you can be successful academically now that your former issues are resolved and that you don’t need multiple attempts to perform well in a course. A strong last 45 GPA will also semi-offset your low cumulative GPA (depending on where you apply of course). If you pursue the masters route, definitely make sure the schools you plan to apply to will use those grades in their GPA calculations, as not all schools will.

Otherwise the rest of your application sounds strong! You could always apply to a couple schools next cycle and see what sort of action they recommend for you (if rejected) and/or consider SGU and Ross, which seemingly evaluate applicants more holistically/are more forgiving than state-side schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with EngrSC...it's possible to get in without a a high cumulative GPA, and the 3.9 last semester is great, but a 3.1 last 45 unfortunately doesn't show the upward trend the way you really need it to...esp if your science GPA is similar. I would think about a master's or retaking classes so you can prove to vet schools that you can handle the course load. It's not impossible to get in with your current GPAs but I do think you'll have a hard time and improving grades will make it easier. You definitely have good experience.

I would recommend an MS. First semester, work on grades with a normal course load, 2nd semester and moving forward, take a heavier course load to show you can do the work and get great grades with a very full schedule. Vet school is very intense, it is basically a double full time course load, upper level classes. Myself, my undergrad was not great...went back after lots of years away. Over the summer between year one and 2 of my MS, I retook a few prereqs that I did poorly in during undergrad. I took an accelerated biochem and other science courses over the summer...16 semester credit hours. If you retake prereqs, you need to ace them!