WAMC MCAT 517, GPA 3.65 Nontrad, URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Faha , just tell him to go to Dartmouth already. (but seriously OP, this is a really solid app, just a few tweaks here and there).

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA = 3.65, sGPA = 3.63

View attachment 284333View attachment 284334

1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
517 (129/129/130/129)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Colorado
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
Hispanic (mother from south america, dad from america)
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Unknown 4 year university
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
around 180 hours of ED volunteering at a local hospital
  1. Research experience and productivity
Not a whole lot. Not sure if I can count a semester long research project (45 min - 1 hr presentation) that was a requirement for my Capstone class but no formal research under a professor or anything.
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
25 hours Primary care (low income clinic/No insurance with primarily Spanish speaking patients)
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
2 years with Big Brother/Big Sister. (not sure the # of hours, maybe 75-100)
Habitat - 80 hours
Meal on Wheels - 55 hours

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Supplemental Instructor for upper level chemistry courses- 300 hours - Teaching/Leadership
Restaurant Manager - 10,000 hours (5 years full time) as a shift manager at a restaurant, directly in charge of 75+ people, scheduling, interviewing, hiring/firing etc - Leadership
Pharmacy Tech - 5 years 7500 hours (5 years 3/4th time) - Helped me decide where in healthcare I see my future

1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Currently 29, Will be 30 when I apply, and 31 if I matriculate 2021. Went to school in 2009/10 and prioritized work at the time so I dropped/failed my first year of school. Left school and returned at 22. Graduated in 2018, current cGPA is 3.65 but I worry that when you factor my first year classes with F/NCs my real gpa is closer to 3.2. Fortunately I didn't fail any science classes, so that's 3.63. I made sure to take extra classes to help counteract this (I have ~150 credits).

I did not plan on medical school until later in college, last 70 credits are 3.7+ which I hope will convince adcoms I'm not who I was 10 years ago. Worked full time/shuffled two jobs during college.

People have told me I am URM because I am hispanic, I am not Mexican-American/Puerto Rican so I feel I am not URM. Spanish is my first language and I grew up speaking it (my grandparents helped raise me and they didn't speak english). Often I would have to translate for them at grocery stores/ doctors offices etc. Currently planning on applying 2020-2021 cycle,

Lizzy M has me at 71.5 and WARS at 81. Not 100% sure where to apply because while my MCAT is within most schools 10th percentile but I know I don't really have a shot there.

Current School list:
U of Colorado
Einstein
Ohio State
Albany
Boston
Duke
Dartmouth
Emory
Mt Sinai
U of Utah
U of Illinois
You will need to factor in all grades (including the Fs) when calculating your AMCAS GPAs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Colorado
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Creighton
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Duke
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Kaiser
California University
Accumulate another 50 hours of physician shadowing and more clinical volunteering hours before you apply. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
U Colorado
Creighton
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Duke
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Kaiser
California University
Accumulate another 50 hours of physician shadowing and more clinical volunteering hours before you apply. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Wow I never expected to see some of those school names on my own WAMC thread. Thank you for your help

Reactions: 1 user
U Colorado
Creighton
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Duke
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Kaiser
California University
@Faha just wondering if I can add a few reaches or dream schools or if I should add any DO for safety

Which reach schools are you thinking of ? Yes, apply to several DO schools as safeties. Schools in regions with large Hispanic populations will look favorably on you so include
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
RVUCOM
CCOM
BCOM

I was thinking of Northwestern, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, U Chicago. Looking at the their pages on MSAR it seems I fit within their medians. Would those be a waste of time/money?

I was thinking of Northwestern, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, U Chicago. Looking at the their pages on MSAR it seems I fit within their medians. Would those be a waste of time/money?
You mean your GPAs fit within their 10th to 90th percentiles right? Their medians are like 3.8-3.9....

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA = 3.65, sGPA = 3.63

View attachment 284333

1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
517 (129/129/130/129)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Colorado
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
Hispanic (mother from south america, dad from america)
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Unknown 4 year university
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
around 180 hours of ED volunteering at a local hospital
You're not URM, but Spanish speaking skills are always appreciated, as is service to Hispanic communities.

I suggest;
Sinai
BU
Duke
Baylor
Case
U MI (maybe)
U VA (maybe)
UCSF (maybe)
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State