WAMC/MD Should I apply this cycle?: International student, MCAT pending, 3.5 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arch1300

Reaction score
  • cGPA = 3.54, sGPA = 3.4 (double major: Cell and Molecular biology & Sociology)
  • MCAT PENDING. practice score(s) and breakdown: total: 519, C/P= 129, CARS=129, B/B= 131, P/S= 130
  • Country of citizenship: India
  • Race/ Ethnicity: South Asian (Indian)
  • Undergraduate institution: Tulane University
  • Clinical shadowing experience: 100+ hours (nephrology, psychiatry)
  • Volunteer exp. (non clinical): 150+ hours
  • Research independent study and then research position in gap year
  • Gap year activities: 1-year masters program (to help gpa) and research work
  • Deans list
  • The gpa related red flags on my application are explained thoroughly. The pandemic was very rough for me and there is an upward trend in grades
I just graduated from college and was prepared to apply this cycle, however, I was recently told that it might help if I apply next year with a complete transcript from my Masters program. I hate the idea of taking two gap years but I want to do what would be best for my chances :(
I have a pretty strong application, in terms of LORs and PS, however, my gpa is making me rethink my decision to apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Your Masters GPA will not impact your GPA for AMCAS. It would for the DO application service. Is the Masters in the hard sciences?
Do you have any clinical experiences other than shadowing?
What did the 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering consist of?
International applicants are usually superstars. With no MCAT(yet) and below average GPAs you are in a tough spot.