WAMC Medstart Program UofToledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomemal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since this is an early start program for people entering their 3rd year, I am kind of in the process of having recently started a lot of my experiences and don't know how that would be seen since my EC would be weak right now.

ORM

ACT 30 then 26 (got the chance to take the ACT for free since I was on the free lunch program at my high school, so I took it the second time mainly because I felt like I should and didn't have anything to lose, and didn't study for it. I have matured in my thought process since then. Don't know if I should even bother explaining this.)

Ugpa: 3.82 Sgpa: 3.80

Experiences:
Most meaningfuls:
240 hours by the time I apply (20 hrs/week for 1 or 2 more years though) Job at a children's hospital's center for clinical and transnational research where I look at EMR, scans, path labs, for kids with cancers of the brain and blood and use that to update the department on the progress of the kids' post therapy results.

(40 hrs) Shadowing primary care in rural communities through my school club in an area with an 80% Hispanic population.

Others:
78 hours Student senator, was able to work with others to make changes in how the school changes some of its sanitary equipment to make a healthier environment and worked with other senators to expand accommodations to MCAT test takers.

100 hours so by the time I apply (will continue 6hrs/week for 2 years) in a neuropharmacology lab, helping test investigational seizure medication on rats, and helping make new models for epilepsy in rats, will have my own projects later on and present, etc.

20 hrs shadowing neurosurgery

20 hours so far (20 hrs/month training for 6months>go on rescue missions for 2 years and possible EMT) Volunteer search and rescue member, have learned CPR, first aid, will learn taking vitals and wilderness medicine, etc and eventually go on rescue missions often.

40 hours volunteer so far (2hr/week for next 2 years) homeless shelter for youth homeless individuals, run by students pmuch.

15 hrs so far (5hr/month for next 2 years) Volunteer scribe for a clinic for homeless individuals.

260 hrs job at Public health research org, co author on global burden of disease report for 2018.

100 hrs job snowboard instructor (don't know if I should include this)

80 hrs (4hrs/week for next 2 yrs) volunteer ED

20 hrs Shadow cardiologist

Sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.