WAMC | MS in Applied Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plut0

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You double listed Volunteer Coordinator. Break down your100 hours as leadership vs. In person service hours. That said, you need 100 more and preferably not linked to campus organizations. Also how long ago was this activity? It's too bad this is so low because it feels like box checking.

Other than that, you should really network with Carle Illinois where you would be a very strong fit.

You double listed Volunteer Coordinator. Break down your100 hours as leadership vs. In person service hours. That said, you need 100 more and preferably not linked to campus organizations. Also how long ago was this activity? It's too bad this is so low because it feels like box checking.

Other than that, you should really network with Carle Illinois where you would be a very strong fit.
Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that my volunteering as a medical interpreter evidences willingness to help disadvantaged groups. Do I need explicitly non-clinical volunteering as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that my volunteering as a medical interpreter evidences willingness to help disadvantaged groups. Do I need explicitly non-clinical volunteering as well?
It definitely helps, and you are also showing you fulfill a much-needed role within healthcare because the system works against those who are not native English speakers. Have you expanded your role to working in employment/customer service (such as pharmacy tech)? Other service roles, like in job placement services? ESL classes? Food pantry? Just making the suggestion to strengthen your application.

You need to do something that is outside your comfort zone and not so clinically related or adjacent. Leveraging your language skills is a bonus, especially if it makes a difference to your purpose as a physician.

But back to the question: is your role as a volunteer coordinator and an interpreter related?

It definitely helps, and you are also showing you fulfill a much-needed role within healthcare because the system works against those who are not native English speakers. Have you expanded your role to working in employment/customer service (such as pharmacy tech)? Other service roles, like in job placement services? ESL classes? Food pantry? Just making the suggestion to strengthen your application.

You need to do something that is outside your comfort zone and not so clinically related or adjacent. Leveraging your language skills is a bonus, especially if it makes a difference to your purpose as a physician.

But back to the question: is your role as a volunteer coordinator and an interpreter related?
I updated the description for my non-clinical volunteering to be clearer.

Non-clinical volunteering
  1. 100 hours, Food pantry, cooking for patients' family, and racing events volunteer
    • I attended a variety of different volunteer events through my school's pre-med student association, first as a member and then as the volunteer coordinator for group, where I organized and supervised 2/3 of the events
This is completely unrelated to the medical interpreter volunteering.

I did a number of admin related stuff for the free clinic (translating flyers, webpages, training other volunteers) which I counted toward the total hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any Adcom members share their opinion on AI? Do you see AI literacy as a critical competency for current/future physicians? Are your schools looking to recruit AI talents? Is AI research an “X-factor?”

Can any Adcom members share their opinion on AI? Do you see AI literacy as a critical competency for current/future physicians? Are your schools looking to recruit AI talents? Is AI research an “X-factor?”
Read

Short answer: no... until we understand better what AI literacy is.

I updated the description for my non-clinical volunteering to be clearer.

Non-clinical volunteering
  1. 100 hours, Food pantry, cooking for patients' family, and racing events volunteer
    • I attended a variety of different volunteer events through my school's pre-med student association, first as a member and then as the volunteer coordinator for group, where I organized and supervised 2/3 of the events
This is completely unrelated to the medical interpreter volunteering.

I did a number of admin related stuff for the free clinic (translating flyers, webpages, training other volunteers) which I counted toward the total hours.
Good. Get to 150 before applying.

You need to double your nonclinical volunteering. You have great stats but they’re going to ask you “why medicine”. Once you have the boxes checked you’re strong.

Reactions: 1 user