WAMC/MSTP School List Advice (ORM, 4.0, 517)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbelianApple

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just got my MCAT score back and will be applying this cycle (2022-2023). I think I have a good foundation, but with my MCAT score/ECs, I'm not sure if I am able to apply for more competitive schools. I'm looking for help creating a schools list and recommendations on how I can further strengthen my application in the limited time left before summer. Any feedback/reality check on where I stand is greatly appreciated!

State/Country of Residence: Illinois
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): BS in BME (I am graduating in 3 years this May) at small state school
Graduate Degrees (if applicable): Have a 1 year MSc acceptance for my gap year but debating between MSc and a year of research* (elaborated below)
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (131/127/128/131)
URM: No, Asian female
Research Experience:
  • 3 years in the same lab studying stem cells/cell-free regenerative therapy (2500 hours and counting). Leading independent project and working towards first-author manuscript, hoping to submit by end of the year
  • Summer program (400h) working under a MD/PhD PI
Publications/Abstracts/Posters:
  • Working on the manuscript mentioned above, second author on review paper, and middle author (~4/5th) on two other papers published in my lab
  • Presented at 5 school-level poster conferences (won 1st place poster award at one), and 2 regional conferences (3rd place poster award at regional SFN conference)
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 700+ hours as PCT in the ICU, very limited other clinical volunteering (<50h)
Shadowing: Only around 25 with MD/PhD Oncologist, trying to find more opportunities to get 75+
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 400 hours working as a tutor/mentor for underserved middle/high school students
Other Extracurricular Activities:
  • President of a pre-med/advocacy club on campus (board member for 3 years)
  • Founding member of my school's biomedical imaging student group/SPIE chapter
  • Playing piano for 10+ years (in school org that plays at hospitals/nursing homes)
  • I also cook/bake a lot, and take larger-scale catering orders from family friends/acquaintances.

School List: I literally have nothing so far
Illinois
UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
UT Houston/MD Anderson MSTP
Baylor

Ok, here's where I am stuck. My parents think my MCAT puts me at a disadvantage in MSTP applications when it would otherwise be good enough for the MD-only route, but I am passionate about research and it doesn't feel right for me to apply MD-only. However, with the way the admissions process goes, I am aware that applying MSTP will impact my chances at the same school's MD program. I currently hold a BA/MD spot at Illinois, which will not be impacted by applying out.

Another consideration is my gap year. The lab I worked with over a summer offered me a full-time position in my gap year. It is in Texas, meaning if I do it and get into a Texas school, I may be able to qualify as for IS tuition when I begin medical school (assuming I'm rejected from all MSTPs). I am a little skeptical on how much output I can get out especially since I'll be applying this June, probably before I even start. I also have a MSc acceptance from a university abroad which I will be required to do a research project/thesis in. I know that a research year looks much better on MSTP applications overall, but studying abroad was something I've always wanted to do but never got the chance. It's at a top tier university worldwide, and in a topic I am personally very interested in (Radiation Biology). How much does my activities in the upcoming year (in the middle of application cycle) matter? Will the year of research really help more?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys so much!
@Faha @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @gyngyn @Fencer

Members don't see this ad.

You are match for the two UT newer MSTPs (UT Health SA and H), slightly below MCAT but still competitive for the older TX MSTPs (UTSW & BCM). Your academic benchmarks are above the national average of MD/PhD matriculants, and you are way stronger as a MD/PhD than as MD applicant by far given your experiences. I am happy to chime in later in the season prior to application. PM me to discuss in more. I can do a one-to-one Zoom in May when I am able to counsel MD/PhD applicants more freely with no COI...

You should continue doing research...

Reactions: 1 users
You are match for the two UT newer MSTPs (UT Health SA and H), slightly below MCAT but still competitive for the older TX MSTPs (UTSW & BCM). Your academic benchmarks are above the national average of MD/PhD matriculants, and you are way stronger as a MD/PhD than as MD applicant by far given your experiences. I am happy to chime in later in the season prior to application. PM me to discuss in more. I can do a one-to-one Zoom in May when I am able to counsel MD/PhD applicants more freely with no COI...

You should continue doing research...
Thank you, I really appreciate your response! In terms of building my school list, are there any other programs you would recommend I add?