WAMC... Need a few more schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

currymonster

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 3.62 (up from 3.2 freshman year)
Science GPA: 3.57
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.57
DAT score: 23 AA (21 PAT, 22 Bio, 26 QR, 26 RC, 22 GC, 21 OC, 22 TS)
State of Residence: KY

Undergrad: UofL
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: About 50 in general (getting this up to 80 by the end of the week), 90 in Ortho
Volunteering Experience: 500 Hours as a Volunteer Team Leader at a Children's Hospital
Employment: Community Hall Assistant (Part-time for 1 year), Nurse Assistant (Full Time for one summer), Orientation Leader (1 summer)
Research: Undergraduate Research Assistant (Part time, 300 hours). No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: Fraternity Scholarship Chair, 3 Years of IM Sports
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List/Dean's Scholar; Scholarship program
LOR type and strength: 2 Bio professors (both strong) and Orthodontist (very strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

School List:

Louisville
UK
Buffalo
UNC
OSU

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 3.62 (up from 3.2 freshman year)
Science GPA: 3.57
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.57
DAT score: 23 AA (21 PAT, 22 Bio, 26 QR, 26 RC, 22 GC, 21 OC, 22 TS)
State of Residence: KY

Undergrad: UofL
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: About 50 in general (getting this up to 80 by the end of the week), 90 in Ortho
Volunteering Experience: 500 Hours as a Volunteer Team Leader at a Children's Hospital
Employment: Community Hall Assistant (Part-time for 1 year), Nurse Assistant (Full Time for one summer), Orientation Leader (1 summer)
Research: Undergraduate Research Assistant (Part time, 300 hours). No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: Fraternity Scholarship Chair, 3 Years of IM Sports
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List/Dean's Scholar; Scholarship program
LOR type and strength: 2 Bio professors (both strong) and Orthodontist (very strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

School List:

Louisville
UK
Buffalo
UNC
OSU
did you volunteer/shadow/attend events at the UL dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
My research was at the dental school , but I haven't done any volunteering or shadowing there
well, that's better than nothing
frequently, i get the answer "no" to these questions...
obviously, your priority should be to get into UK and UofL, but you are going to have to apply more broadly than 5, since UNC takes very few OOS
your GPA is only at or slightly above matriculant average, and while your DAT scores are great, your AA is pumped up by the 26s
you are correct in thinking that you need to add a few more schools...

well, that's better than nothing
frequently, i get the answer "no" to these questions...
obviously, your priority should be to get into UK and UofL, but you are going to have to apply more broadly than 5, since UNC takes very few OOS
your GPA is only at or slightly above matriculant average, and while your DAT scores are great, your AA is pumped up by the 26s
you are correct in thinking that you need to add a few more schools...
Yeah, that’s what I’m worried about

I’m a little hesitant to apply to more expensive schools, and have been primarily looking at OOS schools that allow you to claim in state tuition after a year

Yeah, that’s what I’m worried about

I’m a little hesitant to apply to more expensive schools, and have been primarily looking at OOS schools that allow you to claim in state tuition after a year
those schools are of course more competitive than other OOS publics, so you will need to apply to more to try and get more interviews/acceptances
good luck to you this cycle...