WAMC (next cycle), lower GPA, good MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesuisbacke

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Stanford
Miami
USF Morsani
Washington University (in St. Louis)
St. Louis
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Duke
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Temple
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Colorado
Iowa

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application is strong. Apply to a few brand schools because YOLO... :) . You must be 100% sure about the MCAT expiration before you retake. Have you applied before?

Here are a few areas I'm hesitant about:

Clinical Experience: ~300 hours, helped implement a program ...
Do you have any hours with standard experiences where you are not in a leadership role or trying to implement quality control/public health SDH research? Is it clinical because it is associated with a hospital or healthcare system, or is it because you are working with patients? This is a leadership activity, not a clinical experience from what I read.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Co-founded a initiative working with a international non-profit
Could you tell me more about how this opportunity relieved others' distress? Gets you out of your comfort zone? It is great that you are addressing challenges with STEM education, but the activity fills the leadership bucket rather than the service orientation bucket.

So where are your service orientation activities? Which activities demonstrate your ability to participate in humble listening and service to others, as opposed to being a subject matter expert?

Do you have any hours with standard experiences where you are not in a leadership role or trying to implement quality control/public health SDH research? Is it clinical because it is associated with a hospital or healthcare system, or is it because you are working with patients? This is a leadership activity, not a clinical experience from what I read.
No, but I have a year to build up my application, so I can definitely get that. I feel it's clinical because I spend a lot of my time talking to patients, and trying to gather problems faced, what resources might serve them well, and how they can better be aided after they leave. I spend a lot of my time speaking with patients for these reasons, so I believe that while there's leadership involved, there's also a lot of patient interaction as well.

I agree that while the second activity did get me out of my comfort zone, and allowed me to interact with students from difficult backgrounds, as well as do outreach at various underfunded schools and school districts in low income areas, and allowed me to continue to interact with students for long after the program ended, it does not demonstrate an ability to participate in humble listening and service.

I do hope it should count for volunteering, though I've recently started volunteering at a homeless shelter as well, and hope to build up some activities this year. I hope that alleviates this concern. I might also apply for other clinical volunteer/job opportunities as you seem to believe that would help as well?

Reactions: 1 user