WAMC: ORM 3.95/520

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aretevir

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to increase your experience hours above the 150 minimum thresholds if you want to be more desirable to brand-name schools (and give yourself a better chance on your current list).

For the California schools, are you at all interested in working with underserved patients? It's not clear from the original description that you have a strong interest there. Your shadowing list doesn't have any primary care insights.

Did you grow up in Orange County to have UCI be your ideal program? Do you have any experience working in rural communities? Many programs on your list want students who are passionate about rural health.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to increase your experience hours above the 150 minimum thresholds if you want to be more desirable to brand-name schools (and give yourself a better chance on your current list).

For the California schools, are you at all interested in working with underserved patients? It's not clear from the original description that you have a strong interest there. Your shadowing list doesn't have any primary care insights.

Did you grow up in Orange County to have UCI be your ideal program? Do you have any experience working in rural communities? Many programs on your list want students who are passionate about rural health.
Yes I am planning on increasing my experience hours above the 150 minimum thresholds for the food pantry volunteering, hospital volunteering, and research during the upcoming spring semester.

I do volunteer at a hospital in a low-income area and volunteer at a food pantry that supports food-insecure people in the local community, what other things should I do to demonstrate that I'm interested in working with underserved patients? I will try to obtain shadowing hours from primary care doctors. Would ER doctors count as primary care?

Yes I did grow up in OC! I would prefer to stay near home for med school, but I know with my current stats I don't have thaaaat much of a chance so I know UCI is very much a reach.

I have no experience working in rural communities and am really not sure on how I would gain that experience. I'm open to trying it but I'm just not sure how I would go about it. Also, which programs on my list want students who are passionate about rural health?

Reactions: 1 users
... but I know with my current stats I don't have thaaaat much of a chance so I know UCI is very much a reach.
cGPA: 3.95; sGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 520 (130/130/130/130)
Kevin Abstract What GIF by BROCKHAMPTON

Where are you getting that belief? Surely your prehealth advisors are not saying you have no chance with those metrics at UCI or any California program. Yes, it's much more than the metrics, but your stats will not be the reason if you don't into medical school. Your lack of experience could.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these schools to your application:
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Duke
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Tufts

You could add these schools to your application:
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Duke
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Thank you!

Stats-wise, you are competitive for all schools. However, as is, your interview chances will be considerably lower and you run the risk of being sandwiched between yield-protecting schools that assume you will go to a higher ranked school and those higher ranked schools where you lack proper EC's to get an interview.

I highly recommend like the others mentioned to:

Get your shadowing to at least 50 hours
Get your clinical to at least 200-300 hours (200 is still a tad low but above the screening cutoff for T20, more is better)
Start building a narrative through your nonclinical activities to tell a story about your application

T20's are all about narrative with the exception of WashU and a few others that may accept you based on stats alone - think about how you can tie all of your experiences together to paint a unique picture about who you are and why would be a great fit for whichever program is evaluating you. Is there an activity, mission, or goal in particular that you care deeply about that will be abundantly clear when your application is read that you will write about? These are the things you should be planning for ahead of time, so when it comes time to write secondaries, you are able to write about what your mission is and why your narrative is attractive enough to merit an acceptance.

As far as school list, either way I would recommend the same list but your chances will vary based on how much of the above you can do come application time. Pick the schools you want to attend, and lean heavy towards target and baseline schools as your insurance policy.

Reach
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Duke University School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
New York University Grossman School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine

Target
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

Baseline
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente (Tyson)
California University of Science and Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University
Nova Southeastern University (Patel)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago)
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Arizona--Phoenix
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Oakland University Beaumont
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Stats-wise, you are competitive for all schools. However, as is, your interview chances will be considerably lower and you run the risk of being sandwiched between yield-protecting schools that assume you will go to a higher ranked school and those higher ranked schools where you lack proper EC's to get an interview.

I highly recommend like the others mentioned to:

Get your shadowing to at least 50 hours
Get your clinical to at least 200-300 hours (200 is still a tad low but above the screening cutoff for T20, more is better)
Start building a narrative through your nonclinical activities to tell a story about your application

T20's are all about narrative with the exception of WashU and a few others that may accept you based on stats alone - think about how you can tie all of your experiences together to paint a unique picture about who you are and why would be a great fit for whichever program is evaluating you. Is there an activity, mission, or goal in particular that you care deeply about that will be abundantly clear when your application is read that you will write about? These are the things you should be planning for ahead of time, so when it comes time to write secondaries, you are able to write about what your mission is and why your narrative is attractive enough to merit an acceptance.

As far as school list, either way I would recommend the same list but your chances will vary based on how much of the above you can do come application time. Pick the schools you want to attend, and lean heavy towards target and baseline schools as your insurance policy.

Reach
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Duke University School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
New York University Grossman School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine

Target
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

Baseline
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente (Tyson)
California University of Science and Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University
Nova Southeastern University (Patel)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago)
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Arizona--Phoenix
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Oakland University Beaumont
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine

Thank you for the comprehensive list! Which schools might accept me based on stats alone?