WAMC: No-trad RN applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teknomuse

Reaction score
Thank you to whoever is reading this, your input will not go to waste, and your recommendations are appreciated.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS: cGPA: 3.51 sGPA: 3.67
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 511 (130/124/129/128)
  3. State: Indiana
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Caucasian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Satellite campus of state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 3.5 years as nurse, both in-patient and out-patient, pediatric medical university hospital for 2 years/1.5 years private pediatric home health nurse. Three years of hospital rotations with undergraduate classwork for nursing (BSN). Worked with large healthcare non-profit mobile clinic in several states as RN volunteer. Clinical volunteer work throughout nursing school. Volunteered for years as RN at summer camp for pediatric oncology population. Worked as nursing assistant for four years in several in-patient floors as float technician.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 5 months lab biology/ecology experience. Paper in write-up phase. Gained grant and maintained project from start to finish. Undergraduate research experience in nursing implementing nursing related interventions to actual local hospital (senior research project). Grants applied for and awarded. Volunteer experience and research experience working with a local Ohio town health department during a clinic volunteer trip. Grants also applied for and awarded for this.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: No shadowing, plan to prior to summer applications at Shriner Hospital. Worked closely with physicians of many specialties but no direct shadowing as of yet.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Local fundraising with Freemasonry and Shriners. Volunteered with random health clinics and lots of one-off volunteer experiences. Medical career club in school.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Nursing club officer for two years. Officer in local Freemasonry lodge. Charge RN role preformed. Unit-based Counsel member in hospital floor. Tutoring for chemistry. APHON member. National Society for Leadership and Success member.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Academic honors in some semesters
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Certified in several relevant areas regarding occupation (PALS, CPN, BSN, RN, etc.) I am a cancer survivor myself and have worked with the same population I was once apart of, at the same hospital, and on the same floor treating kids in the same situation I was in years ago, with some of the same nurses who took care of me. This was my whole inspiration in becoming a doctor, but I chose nursing as an undergraduate to gain clinical experience while I finish up pre-med courses. I have further reached out in the field of nursing where I now work as private home health nurse for chronically ill child.
  13. List of schools: Interested in several but haven't made any hard decisions yet. Big 10 schools being looked at mostly.
    1. Indiana University
    2. University of Michigan
    3. Western Michigan
    4. Michigan State
    5. Ohio State
    6. University of Colorado
    7. University of Nebraska
    8. Vanderbilt University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here is a more realistic list:

IU
U VM
Wayne State
Gtown
GWU
NovaMD
Seton hall
Albany
Drexel
TEMPLE
TCU
Wake
U MIAMI
NETTER
TULANE
NYMC
Oakland
SLU
CREIGHTON
ROSY FRANKLIN
LOYOLA
RUSH
WVU
Any DO school, starting with MUCOM. Skip the ones on my Bad Boy list.
Get in nonclinical volunteering

Reactions: 2 users
I'll also ask for a little more detail on your community service through your involvement with Freemasons and Shriners. Exclude fundraising in the description to answer this request... people want to know "in the trenches" work and impact on a personal basis if possible. You do have a lot of other evidence of service through being a nurse, so I think I just need some details here on your work outside of being a nurse to that end.

Reactions: 1 user
You could add these schools to @Goros list:
Medical College Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson