unfortunateson_001
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings all. I'm looking for some guidance on a realistic MD and DO school list that is DACA-friendly. I've relied on MSAR to develop my list of MD schools I'd like to apply to, but haven't had much luck with finding information about DO schools that consider DACA applicants. Would prefer to apply to MD programs due to the higher cost of DO, but am open to applying DO given my stats.
Relevant information as follows:
GPA: 3.58 (cGPA), 3.55 (sGPA), upward trend
MCAT: 507 (126/127/128/126)
Status: Non-citizen, DACA recipient, ORM, Low SES, first-gen
State of Residence: IL
Majors: Biochemistry and Computational Biology
Desired Degree: MD/DO, MD/MPH, DO/MPH
Clinical experience: ~3300 hrs (EMT on an IFT ambulance, worked event 911 and x2 FEMA deployments)
Shadowing: 70 hrs
Research: ~1070 hrs [immunological research since freshman year resulting in x1 pub; clinical microbiology research with genomics professor resulting in x2 pubs (mid-author for both) and x1 regional conference poster; summer research project at east-coast medical school yielding 1 oral presentation + poster at local conference]
Public Health work: ~2,600 hrs (tech at state public health lab): *current full-time employment*
Leadership: 400 hrs (200 hours for student org supporting first-gen/low-income students, 200 hours as head liaison working with undergrad admin to promote student engagement)
Non-clinical community service: 510 hrs (300 refugee student tutor/intern, 200 STEM instructor for a non-profit education center for underserved inner-city youth)
Non-medical employment: 320 hrs as a tax preparer
LORS: x1 from biochemistry professor; x1 from genomics professor; x1 from lab supervisor; x1 from doctor I shadowed, x1 from refugee center admin
Please see below for a small list of schools. I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance for this cycle going forward. I recently received my MCAT score after submitting the primary applications to both AACOMAS and AMCAS, and I am trying to make the most of my submissions thus far. Thank you in advance!
MD:
Rush Medical College
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
Georgetown
Tufts
Meharry
SLU
MCW
University of Vermont Larner
DO:
Midwestern CCOM
IllinoisCOM
Relevant information as follows:
GPA: 3.58 (cGPA), 3.55 (sGPA), upward trend
MCAT: 507 (126/127/128/126)
Status: Non-citizen, DACA recipient, ORM, Low SES, first-gen
State of Residence: IL
Majors: Biochemistry and Computational Biology
Desired Degree: MD/DO, MD/MPH, DO/MPH
Clinical experience: ~3300 hrs (EMT on an IFT ambulance, worked event 911 and x2 FEMA deployments)
Shadowing: 70 hrs
Research: ~1070 hrs [immunological research since freshman year resulting in x1 pub; clinical microbiology research with genomics professor resulting in x2 pubs (mid-author for both) and x1 regional conference poster; summer research project at east-coast medical school yielding 1 oral presentation + poster at local conference]
Public Health work: ~2,600 hrs (tech at state public health lab): *current full-time employment*
Leadership: 400 hrs (200 hours for student org supporting first-gen/low-income students, 200 hours as head liaison working with undergrad admin to promote student engagement)
Non-clinical community service: 510 hrs (300 refugee student tutor/intern, 200 STEM instructor for a non-profit education center for underserved inner-city youth)
Non-medical employment: 320 hrs as a tax preparer
LORS: x1 from biochemistry professor; x1 from genomics professor; x1 from lab supervisor; x1 from doctor I shadowed, x1 from refugee center admin
Please see below for a small list of schools. I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance for this cycle going forward. I recently received my MCAT score after submitting the primary applications to both AACOMAS and AMCAS, and I am trying to make the most of my submissions thus far. Thank you in advance!
MD:
Rush Medical College
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
Georgetown
Tufts
Meharry
SLU
MCW
University of Vermont Larner
DO:
Midwestern CCOM
IllinoisCOM