MD WAMC Non-trad: Help with school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhilB702

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Pleasure to meet all of you! I would like some help with my application and school list. If there are any suggestions you have for things I should improve in the coming year, I would certainly appreciate the advice! I will be applying for the 2021-2022 cycle.

1. cGPA for undergrad (non-science) 3.85, cGPA for post-bacc science classes 4.0. sGPA from post bacc is 4.0. (There were 2 intro science classes from undergrad that ended up getting a B in, I'm not exactly sure how that will factor in though. They weren't medical school pre-requisites)
2. MCAT: 526 (132/130/132/132)
3. Ethnicity: White/Asian
4. Undergraduate degree: Indiana University: Jacob's School of Music (Think it has been rated around top 2-3 schools for music in the past few years? It was rated #1 when I attended) Bachelor's of Music performance. Current undergraduate institution (for Post-bacc): UNLV
5. Clinical experience: It will be around ~4000 hours paid (medical scribe in outpatient heme/onc), and around 250-300 volunteer hours (hospice and hospital volunteering) by the time I apply.
6. Research: Around 500 hours (2 years, around 6ish hours a week). No publications, no posters. Trying to see if I can get a small independent project going when the lab reopens. Ultimately want to go into research, and want to attend a research focused school, so I will be trying to beef this up over the coming year.
7. Shadowing: ~60 hours Neurosurgery. Will be getting some hours in primary care before I apply
8. Non clinical volunteering: 150 hours at local community kitchen, will be trying to get another 150 hours before I end up applying.
9. Other extracurriculars: Performed internationally and have participated in multiple classical music festivals and masterclasses.
Leadership: Have served as a judge for state and local competitions. Organizing events and concerts for a piano trio.
10. Awards and honors: Have been awarded in local and state competitions.

Please be as critical as possible with the school list, any suggested changes are certainly welcome:

Hopkins
Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
UCSF
Mayo
Yale
Michigan
Cornell
Pitt
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Washington University
USC
Case Western
Indiana (alma mater)
Colorado
UCLA
UCSD
Duke
Baylor
University of Arizona
CUSM
UNLV (state school)
UNR (state school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Ohio State

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Ohio State

Thank you! Certainly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
U of Az (Tucson—the original) accepts few non-residents who don’t have ties to the state—plus they might yield protect against you. CUSM is also pretty far below your potential, and they will probably know that. Those two schools may not be worth your time/money since you already have 30+ schools on your list with the ones Faha suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
U of Az (Tucson—the original) accepts few non-residents who don’t have ties to the state—plus they might yield protect against you. CUSM is also pretty far below your potential, and they will probably know that. Those two schools may not be worth your time/money since you already have 30+ schools on your list with the ones Faha suggested.

Thank you!