WAMC/Help with School list: Non-trad reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffinated

Reaction score
This year was my second attempt at applying. I received 3 II and am waitlisted at 2 and R from one. I am deep enough on the waitlist that it is extremely unlikely I will be accepted so I’m preparing for a third attempt.

I’m a nontraditional career changer from within healthcare. Any advice would be helpful.
  • GPAs
    • Undergrad (Public Health): cGPA 2.94, sGPA 3.13 (I know this is my big limiting factor but there were personal and family issues for context)
    • Graduate (Athletic Training / Sports Medicine): cGPA 3.67, sGPA 3.62,
    • Post Bacc (DIY consisting of the majority of prereqs): cGPA 4.0, sGPA 4.0,
    • Graduate Certificate (medical physiology): cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.89
  • MCAT: 511 126/127/129/129
  • State of residence: Minnesota w/ strong ties to South Dakota and ties to Wisconsin and Alabama.
  • White Male
  • Clinical experience: 4000+ hrs working as an allied health professional (athletic trainer, ATC) in a variety of settings including rural communities. 600 as a clinical immersion intern.
  • Research experience: 2500 hrs combined as a clinical research intern, research volunteer, and graduate researcher. 1 presentation, 2 abstracts submitted, and currently working on 5 manuscripts for publication by next year.
  • Shadowing experience: 250 hrs majority with orthopedic surgeons but also family medicine, primary care sports medicine, PM & R, and pathology.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 625 hrs at 5 different organizations over several years.
  • Other extracurricular activities: Professional and Division 1 athletics, graduate anatomy tutoring (60 hrs), brewing kombucha as a hobby, and a Courage Award winner (injury resiliency award basically), worked as a kickboxing instructor (400 hrs) during post bacc.
  • Leadership: Collegiate athletics captain, graduate education leadership scholarship recipient, head athletic trainer for a professional and a collegiate team (during the COVID pandemic)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you highlight what you improved on since your first application attempt? Let's hope a WL moves to an A.
This last cycle was my 2nd app but from the 2nd to the 3rd, I've added:

• Graduate Certificate (medical physiology): cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.89 (Finished in August of 2022 so it wasn't on my app but included it in updates)
  • Clinical experience: 500 hrs working as an ATC in a rural community.
  • Research experience: 2000 hrs as a clinical research intern, 2 abstracts submitted, and currently working on 5 manuscripts for publication by next year.
  • Shadowing experience: 100 hrs total with primary care sports medicine, PM & R, and pathology.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: about 200 hrs with 2 orgs (teaching reading and math to the underserved through sports & crisis text line)

Here was my school list from the last cycle:
George Washington
U of North Dakota
MCW
U of Minnesota (TC and Duluth)
Creighton
Oakland William
U of Alabama Birmingham
Albany
Loyola
Wake Forest
Penn State
Drexel
U of Louisville
U of South Dakota
Tulane
Wright State
U of Wisconsin
U of Illinois
Rush
Wayne State

Interesting that your home-state schools didn't pick you up. I do wonder about your non-clinical volunteering because your teaching and crisis text line may not be enough to show your service orientation and ability to work face to face where you are not an expert (like you would be for math/science tutoring). How have you stretched beyond your comfort zone in those situations?

Interesting that your home-state schools didn't pick you up. I do wonder about your non-clinical volunteering because your teaching and crisis text line may not be enough to show your service orientation and ability to work face to face where you are not an expert (like you would be for math/science tutoring). How have you stretched beyond your comfort zone in those situations?
Honestly, I decided on crisis text line because I lost a parent to suicide so I would say working in that capacity and getting reminded of that event is pretty emotionally difficult and outside my comfort zone. As far as the other org, the population is different than I am used to working with. I'm from suburban/rural Minnesota but did this volunteering with urban schools in Birmingham, AL. The teaching aspect isn't that far out of my comfort zone but more so a population that I haven't been exposed to much. I realize I don't have a ton of volunteer experience but I am working a full-time internship and a part-time job so there's only so much I can do while sustaining myself financially.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I decided on crisis text line because I lost a parent to suicide so I would say working in that capacity and getting reminded of that event is pretty emotionally difficult and outside my comfort zone.
I'm sorry about your parent; good luck, future doc. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Where were your 3 interviews ?
South Dakota, North Dakota, and Tulane

Here was my school list from the last cycle:
George Washington
U of North Dakota
MCW
U of Minnesota (TC and Duluth)
Creighton
Oakland William
U of Alabama Birmingham
Albany