WAMC/ Non-trad. MCAT 501, cGPA: 3.9, CA Resident, ORM

Started by sofesss
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sofesss

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I took the mcat for the first time and just got my score (501- 125/125/124/127). I rushed studying for it and plan to retake, but I decided to submit some apps since I submitted for initial schools already (prior to my mcat score being released.)

I graduated from a top public university with a 3.9 gpa (bachelors in nursing), then did a DIY post bacc to fulfill pre-reqs and have sGPA of 3.9.



I’ll have LORs from science profs, an attending physician, PIs, nursing professor, and manager.



DO Schools [in order of reach to target]:
Western U
Touro- California
NYITCOM
LECOM
VCOM
BCOM
LMUD
KCU

MD Schools (all reaches):
1. Drew
2. UC Davis
3. UC Riverside (live somewhat close to IE)
4. Rosalind Franklin
5. CUSM (submitted this one before getting back my score and now I don't meet their min req of 502.. )

I don't really have people around/advisors who know about the application process, so I appreciate any and all help! Please feel free to tell me which schools to take off or add!
 
Last edited:
You are competitive for some DO schools and I suggest adding these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
For MD schools you could add these:
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
 
You are competitive for some DO schools and I suggest adding these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
For MD schools you could add these:
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Thank you so much for your reply!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are competitive for some DO schools and I suggest adding these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
For MD schools you could add these:
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
I had a follow-up question- would you recommend Wayne State or Oakland Beaumont at all? I understand that they would be a reach with my MCAT score, like the other MD schools. I believe they're fairly OOS friendly. I was wondering if there would be any other reason (besides the mcat) to exclude them. Thank you so much!
 
I had a follow-up question- would you recommend Wayne State or Oakland Beaumont at all? I understand that they would be a reach with my MCAT score, like the other MD schools. I believe they're fairly OOS friendly. I was wondering if there would be any other reason (besides the mcat) to exclude them. Thank you so much!
You could try those 2 schools, but they matriculated only ~8 students each who were non residents with a MCAT of 505 or lower.
 
On the MD school side, you list a lot of reaches for your MCAT, but have you reached out to the schools?

If your professional experience immersed you in a community served by the UC schools, it may be worth an application. You say you live close to the IE, so does that mean you have worked with the UCR health system or adjacent to it? It's better to talk to admissions before you apply.
 
You could try those 2 schools, but they matriculated only ~8 students each who were non residents with a MCAT of 505 or lower.
Got it- that makes sense why you hadn't included them in your recommendation list. Thank you so much for your reply!